Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LPG (propane) Turbo club car

G'day from Australia. First post here but I have been reading the forum for a few years.

I have a 1985 Renault Fuego that has a Renault 21 Turbo engine on straight LPG (propane). It has a few other goodies and makes about 250hp and produces less CO2 than most new cars.

Being French, it is basically made from aluminum foil and chewing gum so weighs under a 1000hg.

I am starting to look into some aero mods that will hopefully improve the drag/lift ratio.

I have a reasonable idea on what I hope to do, but there are a few question that I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer.

I have fitted a long deck style spoiler to the lengthen the car and increase the seperation point. It is similar to the RX7 image below (sorry can't link to pics) but with a smoother less defined gurney flap on the back.

bodykits.com/productImages_thumbBIG/e67d4f87_6872.jpeg

I don't really expect the spoiler to produce downforce, but I want it to create a low pressure underneath to allow the underbody aero to work better.

I was going to fit a 6 inch or so splitter to the front for some downforce and flow diversion to the cooiling system and have the splitter continue to a flat floor with some rubber flow guides around the front wheels.

I was going to seal up the usual cooling exhaust paths around the front wheels and instead use the largish area between the chassis rails and the flat floor (where the tail shaft is on a rwd normally) to duct the cooling air from the radiator to the rear of the car and eject it above the diffuser into the low pressure area under the rear spoiler as wake infill. (think P51 mustang style but alot longer...)

The flat floor will continue to a diffuser at the back. I don't want it to be too obvious from behind, so the strakes may not be as tall as optimum. I'll see how that goes.

The main question I had was to do with the front guards (wings)

I was going to flare and open up the back of the front guards to allow the high pressure air to escape and flow along the car (like the starion below)

1.bp.blogspot.com/_WzKgbcefvdk/TKtKlcT-K0I/AAAAAAAAACk/L3nzUN1F9ig/s1600/wide+body+starion.jpg

Has anyone tried this? Did it achieve the desired results?

Was water and debris spray a problem?

I was going to run some mesh in the cavity but don't want a huge ploom of spray every time it rains.

Any feedback on the rest of the plan?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
First of all welcome to the forum. I have to admit that Fuego was one of my favorite cars when I was younger. It's hard for me to answer your aero questions though. My knowledge is based on posts that I've read here and some web searches.
If you want to reduce drag you may try to start with blocking the upper grille. Belly pan is a great idea and rest of the project sounds promising. I would suggest tuft testing of all mods before applying them permanently. And of course Cd /coast down testing of the car before and after each mod. Just to be sure that you're heading in the right direction.

Good luck and I'm hoping you'll post some interesting photos of your car and mods soon.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Renault

I'm going to wait until I can study some images before I chime in.