EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Book on history of car aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/book-history-car-aerodynamics-39178.html)

JulianEdgar 03-04-2021 05:18 AM

Book on history of car aerodynamics

I have been very quiet recently because I have been writing a book on the history of car aerodynamics.

I am currently at 70,000 words and about 600 images - 210 pages in laid-out form. It will probably go to 90,000 words / 700 images / 250 pages, I think.

I have decided to cover only from 1920 to current i.e. a century of car aerodynamics.

The chapter listing is currently:

Introduction

Chapter 1 – Car aerodynamics
• Aerodynamic drag
• Drag coefficient and frontal area
• Aerodynamic lift
• A word about drag coefficients
• Aerodynamic forces

Chapter 2 – the 1920s
• 1921 Rumpler Tropfenwagen
• Paul Jaray and his cars
• 1923 Bugatti Type 32
• 1927 Claveau 9 CV
• 1927 1000hp Sunbeam - Mystery
• 1928 Stutz Black Hawk Special
• 1928 Opel RAK 2
• 1929 Golden Arrow

Chapter 3 – the 1930s
• 1930 Burney Streamliner
• 1933 Dymaxion
• 1934 Renault Nervasport des Records
• 1934 Chrysler Airflow
• 1935 Skoda 935 Dynamic
• 1936 Tatra T87
• 1938 Mercedes Benz Benz W25
• 1938 Mercedes Benz Benz W125
• 1938 Porsche Type 64
• 1938 Railton Special
• 1938 Volkswagen
• 1939 Mercedes Benz Benz Type 80
• 1939 Schlφr
• Wunibald Kamm and his cars

Chapter 4 – the 1940s
• 1947 V2 Sagitta
• 1948 Porsche 356
• 1949 Saab 92

Chapter 5 – the 1950s
• 1950 Volkswagen Transporter
• 1950s Jaguar racing cars
• Sighard Hoerner and his book
• 1955 Citroen DS
• 1956 Renault Ιtoile Filante
• 1958 MG EX181

Chapter 6 – the 1960s
• 1964 Bluebird
• 1966 Volkswagen wind tunnel
• 1966 Chaparral 2E
• 1967 NSU Ro 80
• 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona & 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird
• Mercedes Benz Benz C-111

Chapter 7 – the 1970s
• 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera
• 1975 Porsche 924
• 1978 Mazda RX7
• 1978 Lotus 79 (very little concrete information available, unfortunately)
• 1979 Mercedes Benz S-class

Chapter 8 – the 1980s
• 1980 Peugeot VERA
• 1980 ARVW
• 1982 Audi C3 (100)
• 1980s Ford Probes
• 1982 Ford Sierra (where are all tech papers?)
• 1983 Fiat Uno
• Wolf-Heinrich Hucho and his book
• 1988 HSV Group A Commodore
• 1989 Opel Calibra

Chapter 9 – the 1990s
• 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse
• 1996 General Motors EV1
• 1996 Honda Dream

Chapter 10 – the 2000s
• 2000 Honda Insight
• 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution IX Lancer
• 2005 Porsche 911
• 2006 Dieselmax?

Chapter 11 – the 2010s
• 2011 General Motors Chevrolet Volt
• 2012 Tesla Model S
• 2013 Volkswagen XL-1
• 2017 Porsche Cayenne
• 2018 Volkswagen IDR?
• 2019 Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1
• 2019 Porsche Taycan

Chapter 12 – the 2020s – and the future
• Gordon Murray Automotive T.50
• Others?
• The future

References

Note: question marks indicate uncertainties.

I welcome suggestions for car additions, if those additions can be justified in terms of contemporaneous / long term importance. (Note: Obviously, I cannot cover cars about which there is no information available. So if you nominate a car, also nominate some detailed info on it - tech papers are best.)

I also welcome suggestions for any other text references I should use.

The experts I have contacted have been wonderfully helpful - I won't list them all here, but they are academic and car company professional aerodynamicists, including multiple ones I've previously had no contact with. And they've been making available really excellent information. I have honestly been quite humbled and bemused at their incredibly helpful responses after they have read chapters. (One example: Wolf-Heinrich Hucho's biography is insightful and also quite funny in parts. It's available in German - and then Google translate is your friend.)

Here at EM, Vman455 has been excellent in proof-reading, especially in correcting my use of German umlauts and my making of basic mistakes in percentages!

I might also add that, now having researched the German aerodynamicists and their cars from the 1930s, I am a bit more sympathetic of Aerohead's infatuation with them. (Though I certainly don't think that The Template is any more relevant to modifying modern cars than I ever thought.) But without a doubt, the 1930s advances were the greatest-ever in any single decade of car aerodynamics. And by a very long way.

Koenig-Fachsenfeld, R., Aerodynamik des Kraftfahrzeugs, 1950, is an extraordinary book - especially when all the research shown in it is based on the 1930s, not the 1950s (when it was published). Flush glass, flush headlights, realistically very low drag coefficients, pressure testing, tuft testing.

Potthoff, J. & Schmid, I.C., Wunibald I. E. Kamm –Wegbereiter der modernen, Springer, 2012 is also an amazing book. I reckon that the Kamm 1 car is my pick - a realistic Cd of 0.23 (a large car with a top speed of 183 km/h on only 66kW!) and fantastic aero rear fins.

But obviously things progress, although not always linearly, and the current Porsche Taycan is a very impressive car indeed - in any historic context.

It's been great fun writing the book - and I reckon it's about 90 per cent finished.

(But then I say that and then a professor in the UK says he has more info on the MG EX181 - would I like it? And then the former head of Porsche aero says he has actual test figures for the Porsche 356A in the modern Porsche wind tunnel - and would I like these figures? And I am then gobsmacked by how low some of them are...)

It's a fun project.

freebeard 03-04-2021 11:45 AM

It's good that you have time to post again. I see there was a flurry of posts in January of this year.

At first glance, all my favorites are there— the Rumpler, the Beetle, the Dymaxions and the T.50. It's too bad aircraft engine nacelles aren't on topic.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...-36-engine.png

Vekke 03-05-2021 06:54 AM

audi a2 3l with 0,25 I think should be mentioned.

aerohead 03-05-2021 11:30 AM

suggestions

I'll pull some things together for your attention. My inefficient ' filing system' may make for a 'slow' process.
As to the Ford Sierra/ Merkur XR4Ti, you'll need U.S.PATENT 4,533,168, Janssen et al., August 6, 1985.
And with respect to that patent, if you can track down: German Offenlegungsschrift No. 27 37 638, this will provide context to the genesis of what Janssen et al. accomplished with Sierra / Merkur ( you'll find reference to the German reference within the PATENT ).
Also, you may find some aeronautical materials in the public domain to be germane to road vehicle aerodynamics ( JANE'S All The World's Aircraft ).
Biomimicry ditto.
Human-powered submarines.
International Human Powered Vehicle Association.
World Solar Challenge.
Shell EcoMarathon.
SAE Supermileage Competition.
Experimental Aircraft Association ( EAA ).
Hypercar Inc., Rocky Mountain Institute, Snowmass, Colorado, USA.
Speed Week and USFRA's World of Speed, Bonneville International Speedway, Wendover, Utah, USA.
American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers ( ASHRAE ) Handbook.
ISO / National Plumbing Code, USA.
Very recent, first, ever, 'AERO-LOADER', backwards' rooftop cargo carrier, by Calix, tested in Norway ( You-Tube video ).

AeroMcAeroFace 03-05-2021 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That Mercedes with the extending tailAttachment 30269 or the Zenvo TSR-S or Pagani Huayra. Basically the new cars or concepts with adaptive aerodynamics, that is where I think the future is

JulianEdgar 03-05-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 643566)
It's good that you have time to post again. I see there was a flurry of posts in January of this year.

At first glance, all my favorites are there— the Rumpler, the Beetle, the Dymaxions and the T.50. It's too bad aircraft engine nacelles aren't on topic.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...-36-engine.png

No, not covering anything but cars in the designated period.

JulianEdgar 03-05-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vekke (Post 643594)
audi a2 3l with 0,25 I think should be mentioned.

I thought of it but couldn't find any detailed info on the car's aerodynamics.

JulianEdgar 03-05-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 643602)
I'll pull some things together for your attention. My inefficient ' filing system' may make for a 'slow' process.
As to the Ford Sierra/ Merkur XR4Ti, you'll need U.S.PATENT 4,533,168, Janssen et al., August 6, 1985.
And with respect to that patent, if you can track down: German Offenlegungsschrift No. 27 37 638, this will provide context to the genesis of what Janssen et al. accomplished with Sierra / Merkur ( you'll find reference to the German reference within the PATENT ).

Thanks for that. I had been chasing that patent.

JulianEdgar 03-05-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace (Post 643603)
That Mercedes with the extending tailAttachment 30269 or the Zenvo TSR-S or Pagani Huayra. Basically the new cars or concepts with adaptive aerodynamics, that is where I think the future is

Yes, I've mentioned the Mercedes in the Epilogue.

JulianEdgar 03-08-2021 02:59 AM

I've decided to delete the Chaparral and the Lotus 78/79 - I just am not much interested in racing cars, and so it was becoming a chore to do the research. Veloce has rejected the book, so I will publish it through Amazon - and so I can do whatever I like with content!

A really nice comment from one of my reviewers (a professional car aerodynamcist):

While it's probably true that my reviewing eye is becoming somewhat less attentive because I'm getting drawn into the history, I don't think I have anything really to add or subtract from chapters 4 & 5. It's fascinating stuff, and I'm engrossed!

Screen grab, 50s/60s chapters:

https://i.postimg.cc/rp4NS8GD/Screen...y-chapters.png

freebeard 03-08-2021 12:03 PM

Thanks. It's hard to tell but I don't see mention of the rounded nose of the Type II Transporter.
Quote:

...I just am not much interested in racing cars
And yet the Bluebird gets six pages?

JulianEdgar 03-08-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 643780)
Thanks. It's hard to tell but I don't see mention of the rounded nose of the Type II Transporter.

And yet the Bluebird gets six pages?

The Transporter is covered twice, once specifically for its rounded nose and a second time in an extract from Hucho's autobiography dealing with front-end radii.

I don't categorise Land Speed Record cars as 'racing cars'.

aerohead 03-10-2021 10:27 AM

Audi A2

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 643634)
I thought of it but couldn't find any detailed info on the car's aerodynamics.

A Member shared an online article about the A2 a few years back.
One of the European universities took an A2 into a wind tunnel and did a progression of mods.
Starting with Cd 0.288, they got it down to Cd 0.204, illustrating the drag evolution, item by item, as the modifications piled on.
If someone doesn't beat me to the citation, I'll try and grab it for next time.
I think you'll like it.

Vman455 03-10-2021 10:49 AM

A2 article

The article (not the Powerpoint slideshow, which has been posted here before but doesn't contain all the data) was published in Sustainable Vehicle Technologies: Driving the Green Agenda (Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing Limited, 2012). JP Howell conducted the research for Tata in partnership with the Low Carbon Vehicle Technology Project and wrote the article, pp. 145-154. But, this article isn't about the development of the A2; rather, it's an investigation of drag reduction of an A2 and a Tata Vista that was intended to inform Tata's further development of EVs. The most interesting part is the comparison of the A2 tested with the same modifications in the fixed-floor MIRA tunnel and the moving-ground S2A tunnel.

JulianEdgar 03-10-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 643900)
A Member shared an online article about the A2 a few years back.
One of the European universities took an A2 into a wind tunnel and did a progression of mods.
Starting with Cd 0.288, they got it down to Cd 0.204, illustrating the drag evolution, item by item, as the modifications piled on.
If someone doesn't beat me to the citation, I'll try and grab it for next time.
I think you'll like it.

Thanks, but not really relevant to the book I am working on. (The book is not about modifications.)

aerohead 03-10-2021 04:25 PM

relevant

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 643931)
Thanks, but not really relevant to the book I am working on. (The book is not about modifications.)

Just thought the reader might find it interesting that, in 1999, a vehicle like the A2 had the makings for Cd 0.204, which is just now available with the Tesla Model S Plaid / Hyundai Sonata Hybrid ( if fully electrified ).

JulianEdgar 03-12-2021 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 643932)
Just thought the reader might find it interesting that, in 1999, a vehicle like the A2 had the makings for Cd 0.204, which is just now available with the Tesla Model S Plaid / Hyundai Sonata Hybrid ( if fully electrified ).

Maybe. But I think that they will find the 1939 Schlφr car's 0.189 Cd even more interesting!

No, I am not covering any modified cars in this book - that belongs in my Modifying the Aerodynamics of Your Road Car.

Having said that, the author of the cited chapter (Jeff Howell) is one of the reviewers of this current book, and he is being outstandingly helpful.

I am trying to wrap-up the aero history book up fairly soon, as my 'proper job' (training people in writing skills) is finally picking up post-Covid.

JulianEdgar 03-22-2021 01:35 AM

The book is progressing. Professor Jeff Howell, particularly, has been brilliant in critiquing my mistakes and also providing new information.

The 1960s Donald Campbell Land Speed Record Car (Bluebird) section is currently undergoing its third re-write, as Professor Howell (a) corrects my mistakes, and (b) provides new information. Incredibly, he has given me a copy of the original wind tunnel tests of the Bluebird models, conducted at the Imperial College (London, UK) wind tunnel. The graphs in the report are drawn in pencil on graph paper! I think that my book will be the first with detailed aero info on this car. I was lucky enough to see Bluebird in the UK a few years ago and it remains my favourite LSR car.

Dr Thomas Wolf of Porsche has also become intrigued by the Type 64 Porsche (the pre WWII car designed for the 1939 Berlin–Rome long-distance race that was cancelled because of WWII). He has been investigating historic resources inside Porsche and doing lots of calculations of the car's likely drag coefficient.

MIRA (the UK's Motor Industry Research Association) is providing me with info on their 1960 full size wind tunnel - Jeff Howell said that if I was going to cover the FKFS and VW tunnels, I had to cover the MIRA one!

In the US, GM has given me permission to use a lot of tech info on their 2019 Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1 (but unfortunately, no coefficients of drag or lift), and Rob Palin (ex Tesla) has added a lot of great personal commentary to my coverage of the development of the Tesla Model S.

Porsche has also given me permission to use detailed info on the Taycan, and has provided high-res pics.

There are a few other cars I am hoping to get detailed aero info on (but as soon as I say that I preferably want Cd, CLf and CLr figures, a lot of manufacturers go quiet) but some signs look encouraging.

And from EM, Vman455 has been proof-reading (he's very good - I think he could get a job as a proof-reader/editor), and I have used the Ford Sierra patent that Aerohead linked to explain how the bi-plane Fiord rear wing works.

aerohead 03-24-2021 11:17 AM

Dr. Erwin Komenda's Type-64 60K10 Berlin-Rome

Julian, have you seen the hand-built recreation of the car?
It's been wind tunnel tested in the USA. So far, the owner hasn't revealed the data, however, that could change. That would be a great public service.
Roughly gauging the Porsche with the V2 Sagitta numbers, the mirror-delete and turn indicator delete alone would put the 60K10 around Cd 0.207.
The Porsche's front skirts are more full-coverage.
Windshields are different.
A variability with wipers between iterations of the car.
No idea if the tire width is different.
'hope I live long enough to find out.:)

JulianEdgar 03-24-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 644664)
Julian, have you seen the hand-built recreation of the car?
It's been wind tunnel tested in the USA. So far, the owner hasn't revealed the data, however, that could change. That would be a great public service.
Roughly gauging the Porsche with the V2 Sagitta numbers, the mirror-delete and turn indicator delete alone would put the 60K10 around Cd 0.207.
The Porsche's front skirts are more full-coverage.
Windshields are different.
A variability with wipers between iterations of the car.
No idea if the tire width is different.
'hope I live long enough to find out.:)

Yes I saw a pic of the replica in a tiny wind tunnel. I'd be reluctant to quote any figures from that. I did ask Dr Wolf if he could get the remaining 'real' car into the Porsche wind tunnel, but he didn't reply to that - other than to say the car is not owned by Porsche.

JulianEdgar 04-07-2021 05:41 PM

The book is continuing to develop. Currently it's at 71,218 words and maybe 500-600 images. It's now 210 pages and should go to maybe 220 pages (8.5 x 11in).

MIRA has just agreed to release some historic data on measurements they made on road cars (ie previously unpublished info), which is very exciting. (MIRA's wind tunnel came online in 1960, so it was one of the first full-size automotive wind tunnels.)

My reviewers keep giving me feedback, which usually involves my making just a few tweaks to the sections they're reviewing.

Some sources are giving excellent information; others obscure critical data (eg by giving me CdA figures, without specifying the 'A') - whether by intent or omission, I am not sure. Many are not interested in helping at all. They either don't reply, or show interest until it is time for them to give real info.

All as expected!

JulianEdgar 04-24-2021 03:30 AM

UK's MIRA has provided the first batch of historic wind tunnel test data, which is very interesting. I am hoping for some more soon. The data means that I can add details to some cars I am already covering, and include a few more cars that I previously was not covering.

One of my car company contacts has now given me the 'A' that allows me to calculate Cd and Cl figures for a fascinating car (they previously gave me the CdA and the ClA data). Now I just need some high res pics of wind tunnel testing, etc. (They gave me small pics only.)

I've added the Chrysler Airflow data (converted to modern Cd figures).

I am unsure whether to add the Mercedes Benz and Auto Union 1930 Silver Arrows race cars. I have now found some good aero data on the cars and have access to excellent pics through the respective company media sites.

aerohead 04-28-2021 10:51 AM

historic wind tunnel data

Rolling-road wind tunnel data?

JulianEdgar 04-28-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 647109)
Rolling-road wind tunnel data?

Every type of wind tunnel was used to produce data that is covered in the book. I have a major warning about the veracity of all drag and lift data in Chapter 1.

JulianEdgar 05-03-2021 05:33 AM

Nearly there. Just getting the feedback on the final two chapters from two different experts. I've decided to not put any further new cars into the book.

Today I added the final material on two very different cars...

The Jowett Javelin...

https://www.driven.co.nz/media/13634...lclassic02.jpg

...and the Volkswagen ID.R...

https://www.goodwood.com/globalasset...97)&width=1600

Both gained inclusion because I managed to source decent aero test data on them.

I also did a final-ish proofread of the text. Since I will self-publish through Amazon, I think I'll get a print proof copy sent to me and read that as well before release. I proof read better on a print copy and it also will allow me to see photo quality, etc.

Vman455 05-03-2021 08:55 AM

I'm very excited to read about the ID.R; what little I know about it already suggests it's an amazing car.

freebeard 05-03-2021 01:04 PM

I like the door handles, but the door swings are backward.

JulianEdgar 05-04-2021 03:22 AM

Today I have been working on the cover. This is the provisional one:

https://i.postimg.cc/7YGRP5HP/cover-...view-small.png

I have also been writing the back cover blurb. My provisional one:

Covering every decade from the 1920s until now, this book reveals an incredible array of fascinating and advanced aerodynamic car designs - cars shaped to cheat the wind or stick to the road.

From the low-drag cars of 1930s Germany to the winged Plymouth Superbird in the US. From the first Mazda RX-7 to Tesla’s extraordinary Model S and the Corvette C7 ZR1.

Meet an automotive inventor so weird he’d taken a vow of silence and had to communicate by writing notes…. discover one of the lowest-drag cooling systems ever used in a production car…. understand the aerodynamics of some of the fastest cars ever…. and see how the science and art of car aerodynamics have progressed over the last 100 years.

Written with the full cooperation of car aerodynamicists from Porsche, Tesla, General Motors and Volkswagen, the coverage is detailed and accurate. Over 60 individual cars are described – from the tiny Fiat Uno to the mighty Bluebird Land Speed Record car.

Learn about the development of wings and spoilers, the Kamm tail and today’s low-drag electric cars. Be astonished how some cars over 80 years old have better aerodynamic figures than many current cars.

See rare concept cars from Mercedes, Ford and Chrysler.

Researched on three continents and containing more than 450 photographs, diagrams and graphs, this book will forever change how you view car aerodynamics.

freebeard 05-04-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Meet an automotive inventor so weird he’d taken a vow of silence and had to communicate by writing notes….
Likely my favorite philosopher-inventor.

JulianEdgar 05-04-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 647495)
Likely my favorite philosopher-inventor.

Yep that's the bloke.

COcyclist 05-07-2021 07:39 PM

I am looking forward to the release of the final version.

JulianEdgar 05-13-2021 03:33 AM

Final pdf of book is now out with reviewers for comments. It's 216 pages and 73,999 words.

Looks easy when it's all put on one image:

https://i.postimg.cc/DyPpmQSn/total-book.png

Final contents page:

Introduction

Chapter 1 – Understanding car aerodynamics
  • Aerodynamic drag
  • Drag and lift coefficients and frontal area
  • Aerodynamic lift
  • A word about drag coefficients
  • Aerodynamic forces

Chapter 2 – the 1920s
  • 1921 Rumpler Tropfenwagen
  • Paul Jaray and his cars
  • 1923 Bugatti Type 32
  • 1927 Claveau 9 CV
  • 1927 1000hp Sunbeam - Mystery
  • 1928 Stutz Black Hawk Special
  • 1928 Opel RAK 2
  • 1929 Golden Arrow

Chapter 3 – the 1930s
  • 1930 Burney Streamliner
  • 1933 Dymaxion
  • 1934 Renault Nervasport des Records
  • 1934 Chrysler Airflow
  • 1935 Skoda 935 Dynamic
  • 1936 Tatra T87
  • 1938 Volkswagen
  • 1938 Mercedes Benz W25
  • 1938 Mercedes Benz W125
  • 1938 Porsche Type 64
  • 1938 Railton Special
  • 1939 Mercedes Benz Type 80
  • 1939 Schlφr
  • Wunibald Kamm and his cars

Chapter 4 – the 1940s
  • 1947 V2 Sagitta
  • 1947 Jowett Javelin
  • 1948 Porsche 356
  • 1949 Saab 92

Chapter 5 – the 1950s
  • 1950 Volkswagen Transporter
  • 1950s Jaguar racing cars
  • Sighard Hoerner and his book
  • 1955 Citroen DS
  • 1956 Renault Ιtoile Filante
  • 1958 MG EX181

Chapter 6 – the 1960s
  • 1964 Bluebird
  • Volkswagen and MIRA wind tunnels
  • 1967 NSU Ro 80
  • 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona & 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird
  • Mercedes Benz C-111

Chapter 7 – the 1970s
  • 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera
  • 1975 Porsche 924
  • 1978 Mazda RX7
  • 1979 Mercedes Benz S-class

Chapter 8 – the 1980s
  • 1980 Peugeot VERA
  • 1980 ARVW
  • 1982 Audi C3 (100)
  • 1980s Ford Probes
  • 1983 Ford Sierra XR4i bi-plane rear spoiler
  • 1983 Fiat Uno
  • Renault Vesta 2 and Citroen ECO 2000 concepts
  • Wolf-Heinrich Hucho and his book
  • 1988 HSV Group A Commodore
  • 1989 Opel Calibra

Chapter 9 – the 1990s
  • 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse
  • 1996 General Motors EV1
  • 1996 Honda Dream
  • The PNGV cars

Chapter 10 – the 2000s
  • 2000 Honda Insight
  • 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution IX Lancer
  • 2005 Porsche 911

Chapter 11 – the 2010s
  • 2011 General Motors Chevrolet Volt
  • 2012 Tesla Model S
  • 2013 Volkswagen XL-1
  • 2017 Porsche Cayenne
  • 2018 Volkswagen ID.R
  • 2019 Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1
  • 2019 Porsche Taycan

Chapter 12 – The future?

Epilogue

Selected bibliography

------------------------------------------------------
Reviewers of various sections have included:
  • Wolf-Heinrich Hucho (the father of modern car aerodynamics)
  • Alexander Nastov (GM)
  • Robert Palin (ex Tesla)
  • Jonathan Young (from here!)
  • Thomas Wolf (ex head Porsche aerodynamics)

Professor Jeff Howell (ex head of Rover, then Land Rover and finally Jaguar Land Rover aerodynamics) has read every section and given detailed feedback, as well as providing additional information. Jeff has just been fantastic: as of writing, we have more that 70 emails back and forth.

Companies/organisations that have made available extra information and pics include:
  • GM
  • Volkswagen
  • Mercedes Benz
  • MIRA
  • Porsche

After the comments come in from the final reviewers, I'll get a single proof copy printed and have a look at image quality and make a final check for proofreading errors. Then it will be launched on Amazon!

I don't know the retail price yet - I only find that out after I upload the content.

JulianEdgar 05-20-2021 04:17 AM

Now this book is wrapping up, I've embarked on my next one. I've decided to write a history of car suspension.

I've been mulling-over writing a book about car suspension for a long time, and thought about writing a car modification suspension book. However, I could never get really enthusiastic about the idea. But, after exploring how cars of the past were so insightful in aerodynamics, and how so many fundamental breakthroughs in car aero occurred in the 1930s, I've been thinking of the historical context of car suspension.

(And I must add, Aerohead here was in part responsible for making me think more deeply about car aero history. I knew most of what he was saying but I'd never heard anyone saying it so strongly. So I decided to explore it.)

Maurice Olley , in car suspension terms, is very much the contemporary of Wunibald Kamm. Olley discovered absolutely fundamental breakthroughs in suspension design, just as Kamm did in vehicle aerodynamics. Both are well represented in today's car technologies - but almost no-one realises this. And both men made these breakthroughs in the 1930s.

So, I have started the new book.

I have also been looking for a real suspension expert to to work with - someone to help an amateur like me. Jeff Howell was a brilliant man to work with on my aero history book, just as Dick Barnard was with my book on car aero modification. Both are highly qualified academics who have also worked with real car manufacturers - nothing in my experience beats that combination.

I have now found one of the world's best suspension experts, who to my delight has indicated he is happy to work with me. He is Doug Milliken, a member of the family of the most famous vehicle dynamic experts, ever (his father was Bill Milliken, known to a everyone interested in vehicle dynamics).

I first got in contact with Doug a few years ago when I was writing my book on small-wheel bicycles, and restoring my Moulton bike. Doug was involved in the aero canopy design of a very special Moulton, a bike that established several world records.

https://i.postimg.cc/pdpdwXJ9/Moulto...-Card-1986.jpg

Doug expressed some interest when approached about the new book, and so I sent him a few chapters of my aero history book to show I wasn't just playing around, but was prepared to do the hard yards. So now, a new project - one I am very excited by.

An example of what I will be covering, one of the best suspension systems I have ever seen:

https://i.postimg.cc/y8fmhxNW/1800.jpg

Variable damping with load, rising rate springs, low pitch, low cost. Hmm, what could it be?

freebeard 05-20-2021 12:50 PM

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...112137-6lo.jpg

Is it one of these?

JulianEdgar 05-20-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 648449)

Yes! Austin 1800.

freebeard 05-20-2021 06:05 PM

One of the things I like about it* is the bulkhead structure:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...12137-14lo.jpg

Putting the springing elements inside a tube in the plane of the firewall really stiffens it substantially.

*Enough that the Austin 1800 made it into my album pieces+parts. Others:

Superbeetle
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...suspension.jpg

Citroen 2CV
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...suspension.png

JulianEdgar 05-20-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 648479)
One of the things I like about it* is the bulkhead structure:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...12137-14lo.jpg

Putting the springing elements inside a tube in the plane of the firewall really stiffens it substantially.

*Enough that the Austin 1800 made it into my album pieces+parts. Others:

Superbeetle
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...suspension.jpg

Citroen 2CV
https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...suspension.png

I haven't decided whether to cover race cars but the Citroλn will be in the book.

freebeard 05-20-2021 08:48 PM

Willy's Jeepster

https://shop.willysamerica.com/v/vsp...del_planar.jpg
https://shop.willysamerica.com/Front...xle-s/1907.htm

I always thought this would look good on the front of a fenderless Ford roadster.

JulianEdgar 05-20-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 648514)
Willy's Jeepster

https://shop.willysamerica.com/v/vsp...del_planar.jpg
https://shop.willysamerica.com/Front...xle-s/1907.htm

I always thought this would look good on the front of a fenderless Ford roadster.

I have a few transverse leaf spring cars planned for the book - though not that one.

freebeard 05-20-2021 08:53 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. Ford Cobra?