EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Bosch Start Stop Coasting Shutoff (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/bosch-start-stop-coasting-shutoff-27939.html)

DIMS 01-09-2014 01:49 AM

Bosch Start Stop Coasting Shutoff

New Bosch system shuts off coasting cars' engines

cptsideways 01-09-2014 04:09 AM

The new model Peugeot 208 already has this system (I assume its a Bosch system) apparently it works rather well in reality.

user removed 01-09-2014 06:46 AM

Makes perfect sense to me. I posted years ago that the repetative nauture of hypermiling techniques would lend themselves to automation. Now we have the capability for systems that can anticipate changes in elevation and distances to objects ahead of your vehicle, I think we will see automation and predictive capabilities make automated hypermiling possible. Ford filed patents just recently for similar capabilities in their cruis control.

Atomated P&G within preselected speed ranges.

regards
Mech

WD40 01-09-2014 05:35 PM

WANT!!!!
from the link..
The system can reportedly be added to almost any type of existing combustion engine (including hybrids), and requires the installation of relatively few additional parts. It can even be added to cars with manual transmissions, if Bosch's eClutch is also used – this disengages the clutch whenever the vehicle is in coasting mode.
There's no word on availability or pricing of the system, although it is described as "affordable."

spacemanspif 01-09-2014 05:56 PM

Neat. Many cars these days are being offered with "start-stop" technology (GM's term for it). I was sitting next to a BMW in the summer and noticed that when the light turned green, I heard the engine fire up and thought "huh, somehow I doubt that guy is hpermiling". Now on Chevy commercials you hear them say "this has start-stop technology" and I thought that must be what that BMW had. Kinda funny how they are adding technology and slipping it into the ads while not telling the public what it actually is. Sine engines keep getting quieter and smoother, (and people more oblivious :rolleyes:)the car companies probably thought "we can add this and most won't ever know that its there". If only people would care to learn, they might try and take up a few other techniques to augment the benefits of their fancy new cars with fancy new tech. This BOSCH unit is just taking the start-stop tech to the next level but will people care to maximize their new tech? or will they just drive the car like usual and not use the car to its full potential...

I still wonder how all this tech will age though.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-10-2014 01:11 AM

Start-stop has been often quoted as a "micro-hybrid" system.

arcosine 01-10-2014 08:31 AM

I was following a new beamer into work on my bike the other day and it turned off at the guard shack and restarted, using the standard starter..

Occasionally6 01-11-2014 06:53 AM

VW Ecomatic of the early '90s maybe?

Stop-Start, while still in the minority, is becoming increasingly common. Like ABS, SRS, EFI, DI etc. it will trickle through to everything eventually. I do notice it in cars on my commute.

More common in the EU where CO2 emission regulation is in place.

Cobb 01-11-2014 10:36 AM

Oh, that looks rather integrated into a vehicle. I was expecting to see a harness with pass through connectors, a few relays and some ring terminals. :confused:

Having autostop its fun to give the old timer a ride. Many panic when the engine quits when I come to a stop. :thumbup: