Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Ecoflow Delta Pro

I like the form factor with two wheels and a retractable handle.

Doesn't this constitute the world's smallest microgrid? With two battery packs Y-ed together to provide 240V, enough to power to run a clothes dryer.

There exists also an Ecoflow River line with LION batteries where the Delta line has LiFeP04.

I'm actually thinking about a VW Beetle EV conversion with two or three of these for the battery pack. You could pull one out at a campsite and still have enough vehicle power to scoot around.

Now I'm thinking one Delta Pro cradled in a (rat-rod) beam extender for a GM eAssist hybrid altermotor conversion on the Beetle engine..*

Someone stop me before I think again.

*Dimensions -- 11.4 x 9.3 x 7.1 inches

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

Examples:
EcoFlow DELTA Power Station
1800W & 1260Wh
on sale! $1,299.00

EcoFlow 160W Solar Panel
Sale $329.00
Old 08-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nobody tried to stop me so the next think I had was a sun visor for one of my Beetles that has peep mirrors embedded in the outer ends for better aero and is an attachment point to anchor the front end of 1200 watts of the flexible solar panels.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,104 Times in 974 Posts
I have a brother thing sitting in my garage: 200 lb commercial data farm UPS that uses 4 series lead batteries, as much as you could add for capacity. Down side is it's 240v output that doesn't split that I know of. It is on my list for investigation, someday.......
Old 08-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I have a brother thing sitting in my garage: 200 lb commercial data farm UPS that uses 4 series lead batteries, as much as you could add for capacity. Down side is it's 240v output that doesn't split that I know of. It is on my list for investigation, someday.......
A 240/120 isolation transformer gives you a neutral. Rated for at least 2X ups kva

As long as most of your loads are 240v .. or you have about the same loads on each 120v leg .. works fine. I started having trouble at 25% imbalance (past tense, Eaton 9170 ups at work) the system was replaced with a tripwire system designed for 120/240
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Well, if they split...... ummm maybe not. Went and looked: All I got is 2 pins and ground on a standard 120 style socket and ground faults trip the system gfi at each socket. Cheap UPS, I guess and I'm trying to go cheap on this, someday. Have you priced isolation xfrmrs lately? Ouch.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

thingstodo -- Been a while. Remember the Toyota MGR days?

The Delta Pro Y-s two unit together to get 240V. Don't know about the waveform.

Here's another thing, secondhand low-cost solar panels:

1200 Watts for $250. How does the versatility compare with a home-brew solution? I think the fast charger is a big deal. Here's a review of the pre-Pro Delta by the same guy.

Ecoflow Delta Review: Pros and Cons/ Capacity Test/ Technical Discussion and More (Sponsored Video)

Beyond customer service, the problems seem to center on thermal throttling. There're uprated specs on the Pro.

Last edited by freebeard; 08-28-2021 at 01:57 AM..
Old 08-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Delta Pro Y-s two unit together to get 240V. Don't know about the waveform.
Asked and answered in their Kickstarter campaign. The two units have a communication cable between them so that they synchronize the waveforms. 180 degrees out of phase to get 240V from 2 120V units

The Delta range of products seem to cost less retail than I can source decent parts ... if you want the charge controller, inverter, and batteries in the same box. So I'd say they compare well to a homebrew solution

If you want the inverter beside your breaker box and the batteries separated for some reason ... one of the other commercial systems is likely better

So far
- homebrew for a quonset that cannot be connected to the grid. Modified sine wave inverter on 12V LiFePO4 pack, no bms, commercial MPPT solar charge controller. 2500W peak/1250W continuous inverter will start a 1/4 HP induction motor .. most of the time. It's finicky!
- homebrew for a portable unit comparable to the Delta but modified sine wave, LiFePO4 12V pack, 12V accessible via speaker posts, mostly sealed box definitely NOT weatherproof. Parts purchased on sale or surplus is the only reason it was less than the Delta Units or any other off-the-shelf system. 3000W peak/1500W continuous will start a 1/2 HP induction motor reliably.

The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
The Delta range of products seem to cost less retail than I can source decent parts
That the way it looks to me. Would you put a UL-approved LiFeP04 battery inside your living space?

I'm going to ask around to see if anyone local is getting a pallet-load of those panels shipped in.

Old 08-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That the way it looks to me. Would you put a UL-approved LiFeP04 battery inside your living space?
Sure have a couple six sitting in the sunroom right under the smoke detector in a flower pot at 3.2 volts each long term storage. Charge them overnight to 4.2 the night before I go fly my RC stuff

freebeard (08-28-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread