Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lil' Red - '81 Honda c70 Passport
Send a message via AIM to classichondaguy365
1981 Honda c70 Passport

Hey guys! I'm new here, and I have just recently acquired a 1981 Honda c70 Passport. I would like some advice on where to get started. I'm working on the carb right now. I'm gonna get that off, and give it a good cleaning. Also need to put a new tube in the back tire. Any advice or how to guides that you guys have and can help me with that carburetor? That's where I am most lost.

I have engine experience, I run my own small engine repair shop/outdoor power equipment repair. But I'm lost on old Hondas, I love them though!

Also, I'm a Saab guy. Anyone else on here a Saab guy or a member of Saablink.net forums?

Thanks!

-Sean

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
It all depends on how long it has been since the last cleaning. When I do my boat motor carb every year (2stroke). I can usually get away with soaking it in a bucket of gas overnight then using carb cleaner and a wire brush in conjunction with the air compressor to get the job done. If your truly rebuilding it try this first then take pictures. The More pics of each step the better. Then just replace the parts and reverse it.

To keep from gumming up the carb try shutting off the gas and let the engine die out instead of storing it with gas in the carb.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

Last edited by TXwaterdog; 11-11-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Old 11-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Compare the carb to a XR70 carb on ebay, might get a almost new one for $30 that some one pulled off to upgrade.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lil' Red - '81 Honda c70 Passport
Send a message via AIM to classichondaguy365
I got it running and perfectly. The slow jet (press fit #35) was clogged up horribly. I soaked it in a bucket of carb cleaning solution from NAPA, and then rinsed it with hot water and blew it out with compressed air. The things runs beautifully now, and I put a new tube in the back tire too, cause it needed that. Rode it all afternoon.

This is the best toy I've owned yet! Haha and I haven't put any $$$ into it yet. The tube was free!

I'm gonna need a headlight assembly though. (about $30...) that's kinda a bummer.

- 1981 Honda c70 Passport - Stock
Old 11-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by classichondaguy365 View Post
I got it running and perfectly. The slow jet (press fit #35) was clogged up horribly. I soaked it in a bucket of carb cleaning solution from NAPA, and then rinsed it with hot water and blew it out with compressed air. The things runs beautifully now, and I put a new tube in the back tire too, cause it needed that. Rode it all afternoon.

This is the best toy I've owned yet! Haha and I haven't put any $$$ into it yet. The tube was free!

I'm gonna need a headlight assembly though. (about $30...) that's kinda a bummer.

Sweet deal! Does it have a petcock/ fuel shut off valve? If so, make it a ritual to shut off the fuel when you get to where you're going and let the engine flush the carbs for you at every stop. This will ensure your carbs stay as gunk free as possible.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
It's a pretty solid little engine on there, keeping clean gas in it will go a long way, I'm not sure about the smaller honda engines like you have, but on the larger ones they have an oil spinner that is a little spinning cup that separates the metal from the oil, they are often under one of the two round covers on the engine, right side is most common, if you don't have one then doing an oil flush might be a good idea to get the 30 years of sludge build up out.
You can still get a few parts at the local dealerships, MrCycles.com and other online dealer parts web sites also stock a lot of parts still, but Ebay tends to be the best route for both new and used parts, nice thing is tho, once it's working right it should be years before it needs more attention.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
It's a pretty solid little engine on there, keeping clean gas in it will go a long way, I'm not sure about the smaller honda engines like you have, but on the larger ones they have an oil spinner that is a little spinning cup that separates the metal from the oil, they are often under one of the two round covers on the engine, right side is most common, if you don't have one then doing an oil flush might be a good idea to get the 30 years of sludge build up out...
I'm just curious, how would you suggest doing an oil flush? I've never really figured out a good way other than just changing the oil, running it for a few small tasks then changing it again. Basically two back to back oil changes with a small amount of use in between... Is there another better way?

~ Boston George
Old 11-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Yep, use a decent motor oil with a bit of Sea Foam or other crank case additive, then drain it right away while it's good and hot, but what works better is just pulling the side covers off the crank case and scrubbing the sludge out of the bottom of the crank case, then you know what you started with and what it looks like inside when you are done.

Reply  Post New Thread