EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Boys! Girls! Nissan will have a revolutionary battery technology in six years! NASA is helping (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/boys-girls-nissan-will-have-revolutionary-battery-technology-40142.html)

Xist 04-10-2022 03:00 AM

Boys! Girls! Nissan will have a revolutionary battery technology in six years! NASA is helping

I don't know that I have ever been impressed by Nissan, but I pay attention when NASA is involved.

They are collaborating on a game-changing solid-state technology that will be smaller, charge faster, and make freebeard capitalize proper nouns.

How many times do you think the first part of that sentence has been written?

However, it is supposed to be stable enough to be used in pacemakers.

I haven't seen that claim before.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nissan-...le-pacemakers/

Isaac Zachary 04-10-2022 11:45 AM

Nissan needs a different kind of battery.

It was depressing in our Leaf to see the first bar disappear less than a year after we bought it. It was even more depressing to be left stranded in the middle of the highway with no cell signal.

Xist 04-10-2022 12:36 PM

That is terrible! I am sorry!

So much for the revenge of the electric car!

Isaac Zachary 04-10-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 665911)
That is terrible! I am sorry!

So much for the revenge of the electric car!

To be fair, it was mostly my fault. I knew exactly what I was getting into. I also had a change in my life 6 months after buying the Leaf that made the range of the Leaf a problem, which wasn't so much of a problem before.

But it still made us end up selling my wife's favorite car. And someone else thought I was some sort of genius and also bought one, and is now regretting that decision as they have only 4 bars left and are still paying for their Leaf S with no quick charging whatsoever!

freebeard 04-10-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

How many times do you think the first part of that sentence has been written?
It's the second half that needs work.

Six years is a long time. Meanwhile:
www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/arcimoto-inc-fuv-q4-2021-earnings-call-transcript
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Frohnmayer
So we -- well, there are a few pieces of this. The Arcimoto platform initiative really is all about driving adoption of the Arcimoto platform by other companies by research institutions, even into the enthusiast realm so that people who are really interested in making experimental vehicles could be a part of that effort. The one piece that we sort of really teased at the end of the RAMP IT UP presentation was both the new cylindrical cell battery pack architecture that we're developing and the agreement that we have entered into with DW Fritz to explore pairing both the license of the design with the actual automated production line that goes along with building those batteries. And so we are exploring.

That will be likely the first real exploration because we see that as that new pack architecture is really having the potential to be an industry-leading solution that has applications for anything from micro-mobility devices all the way up to very large vehicles. And we will have -- we've still got a lot of work to do to get our own piece of it into production and truly proven out. But I expect that we will have a lot more to share on that topic later on this year.

redpoint5 04-10-2022 04:05 PM

If NASA is involved, it will take longer and cost more than necessary.

All the big players (Toyota, GM, QuantumScape) are working on solid state and have claims of a commercial product somewhere around 2025.

So far it seems solid state is more of an evolutionary advancement than revolutionary.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-11-2022 11:58 PM

Solid-state batteries might be more practical as a way to improve hybrid tech, while EVs will remain too "specialized".