Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EcoVibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 38.14 mpg (US)
Permanent Aluminum Grill Block and Belly Pan

After researching here and other forums for a few months, I finally bought my FE car and started modding. I have a 2007 Vibe. I first did the normal things like new DVD/NAV unit, new speakers sub and amp, added more power outlets, put in a direct wire for my radar detector and GPS, got new rims put on, had 15% tint done... you know the usual stuff.

For my first major ECO modification I decided to make a permanent grill block and belly pan. I wanted to use something that was durable, lightweight, maleable, slick, and that won't tear or rust. My material of choice: sheet aluminum (.40 gauge) ... recycled from an old garage door I took off of my boat house. The best part is it was FREE and eco friendly!

TO DO THE GRILL BLOCK
First remove the three central screws that hold the front fascia on. Then remove the two screws that have a rubber cap for the hood to rest on. You have to take out the DRIVER SIDE GRILL FIRST as it has a catch over the other side (you put the passenger side in first when reassembling). They are easy to get out if you just hold up on one clip at a time and then push from the front on the grill (towards the engine). You'll have to pull forward on the plastic fascia to get them out (and you may have to move the hood release a bit for the dirver side one).

Both Grills Removed

Next you just make a template out of paper (I just taped two pieces of regular paper together to do it). You want it big enough to cover the inside rim, but not so big that it covers the clips for the chrome piece. Trace the template (go a little big if you are worried as you can always cut it down more).

Next use some snips to cut out your shape. BE CAREFUL when cutting aluminum as it's difficult to do and there are many sharp edges. You want to cut it within like 1/2 inch of your line all the way around first ... and then go back to cut on the line (letting the aluminum curl around like this:

Ohhhh fancy art work:

Now just lay the metal on your first grill and line it up. I bent it to shape by putting it around my leg to get the slight curve in it. You can use the same template for the other side (it's a mirror copy of it).

To attach the metal to the grill was a challenge. I starred at the dumb thing for quite a while and then had a brainstorm. I just lined it up on the grill, used a lot of painters tape to hold it in place, and then marked where I wanted the pre-drilled holes at with a magic marker. I then used pliers to bend tabs up where the marker was. I then pre-drilled a hole into the metal and through the plastic. I then ran a 1" screw into each hole at a big angle (the drill was almost flush with the metal sheet). You need to be careful to just barely go through the second part of the plastic on the lower part of the grills or it won't line up when putting it back on.

Next I just used an open end wrench to bend the tabs back down (to look nicer).

Once done repeating all steps with the 2nd grill you just put them back in. Remember to do the passenger one first! I had the best helper ever on this project with me (my 4 year old princess):

Line up your clips and just push it away from the engine. Put the drivers side in and you're done!!!

A view of the finished grill inside:

A close up view from outside (you can't really see it at all).

BELLY PAN INSTALL
Before Belly Pan (uuuugggghhhhh what a mess under here)

I again starred into the hole laying under my car for a while. How am I going to template this thing???? Hmmmm. I needed a large piece of paper which I did not have. The car is up on blocks and I don't want to take it down to go to the store.

Hmmm. Wait, I could use a roll of paper.... but I don't have any. Ahhhh, actually yes ... we all do (paper towel ... heh). I used tape to hold it in place and traced the bumper contour with a magic marker.

Lay it out on your sheet and then mark it (measure at all sides to make sure it's on straight). And the make your cuts.

Now just lift it into place and slide the curved part into your bumper. I used a tool box to hold up the weight in the back and I used tape in the front to hold it in place.

I decided to leave my existing wheel deflectors because they are better than nothing I think. I put the sheet up underneath the deflector/wheel well plastic. I may make them bigger at some point. I did put duct tape over all the gaps and holes later (not shown here).

I drilled two holes in the center area of my sheet right through the unibody frame of the car and put bolts up through them. I also put two bolts and nuts on through the metal and wheel deflectors (it's not going anywhere now!!!!) Finally, I put short 1/2" screws into the front bumper to hold it down there and prevent it from flapping and making noise.

I pre-drilled the holes with a smaller bit and then put my hand through the lower grill vents (they bend back easily) and held a screwdriver handle against the metal to drill it. Otherwise, the sheet would just lift up and the hole would be off.

I was also worried about drilling to far so I made a drill stop out of some nuts:

The finished aluminum under belly!!!!

This project took me about 5-6 hours I would say. It isn't difficult to do at all and is well worth it. I will add more to the underbody later, but this was enough for one day.

Last edited by Markmysite; 08-13-2008 at 06:54 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Markmysite For This Useful Post:
AndrzejM (03-01-2015), BeatUpRanger (12-13-2011), EricRyan (01-23-2012), TheMarkofPolo (07-30-2010), UltArc (06-06-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

When I make the full belly pan with these sheets ... Is it ok to cover up the rear muffler completely? I know the material will be fine, but will the heat go up into the rear of the car then?

Any ideas on how to make my wheel air deflectors better?

Roof rack ... can't remove them without looking terrible. Anything I can do to help aero on them ... taping? Fill seams and holes?

Rear of car ... would like to have better Cd... but needs to look ... well normal ... lol. Any aftermarket spoilers that would work well (like on the Ford Edge, or the new Vibe)? I think a slight upslope on a flush spolier would help reduce the rear wake (like on the Prius, the famous Camaro thread, etc.) since the spolier would have to be too long to clear the wake zone otherwise.

Last edited by Markmysite; 08-13-2008 at 06:55 PM..
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Trikkon already modded his Vibe and I bet you can gleen a few ideas from him (I'm sure he won't mind ) including rack removal, divot coverage, blocks and more.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-0-a-2202.html

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
Trikkon already modded his Vibe and I bet you can gleen a few ideas from him (I'm sure he won't mind ) including rack removal, divot coverage, blocks and more.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-0-a-2202.html

Oh I've been watching his build thread a while too ... lol. I don't think I want to go so far as smoothing out the front (mainly because it's an '07 and a new paint job would cost more than I could justify) ... but I love what he's doing with his.

I'm surprised that they're are not more Vibe/Matrix users doing the aero mods. I have found tons of info on other cars, but not much on these.

Last edited by Markmysite; 08-13-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Saving Those Greenbacks

Snowy - '02 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 23.29 mpg (US)
very clean!

good work..
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Very nice work
Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Johnny 5 - '81 Honda Cm400e
90 day: 42.86 mpg (US)

Da bike - '06 Honda Shadow Vlx deluxe
90 day: 59.47 mpg (US)
how did u attach it to the grill, close up pic,

looks great
Old 08-13-2008, 04:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Super nice job on the recycling project. Hmmm, my neighbors are on vacation....they have a garage door...old too, they probably wouldn't even notice.

Have you noticed any difference yet? Mileage or quieter ride?

The wheel air deflectors, those are the little strips under the car in front of the tire? I saw on a Honda site that they call them strakes. Could make them slightly larger or just add an air dam.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
how did u attach it to the grill, close up pic,

looks great
Thx taco.... attaching it to the grill involved about an hour of me starring at it and trying to figure out a way to do it without the screws coming through ... heh.

I ended up using painters tape to hold it where I wanted it, then used a black magic marker to mark fixation points. I then drilled a pilot hole a little smaller than the screws I used (small diameter one about 1" long). I then used pliers to bend a tab up where each screw was so I could angle it through the ridge behind the chrome on the grill. You have to be careful on the bottom to just barely go through the other side or the grill won't snap back into the front end well. I then used an open end wrench to push down the tabs I had made.

I am at work now, but will get some pictures up later today that show it in more detail.

Last edited by Markmysite; 08-13-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassntime View Post
Super nice job on the recycling project. Hmmm, my neighbors are on vacation....they have a garage door...old too, they probably wouldn't even notice.

Have you noticed any difference yet? Mileage or quieter ride?

The wheel air deflectors, those are the little strips under the car in front of the tire? I saw on a Honda site that they call them strakes. Could make them slightly larger or just add an air dam.
LOL ... they might notice that one. The garage doors we took out were from like the 1950's. I had planned on taking all the metal to the recycler to get the cash, but figured they would be perfect for this mod (and they were). You can get .40 aluminum for pretty cheap (maybe $1 per square foot I think).

It does seem to be getting better mileage and I am keeping a before and after log. It is also a little more quiet yes. I think it will help even more when I do the whole bottom.

Not sure about the air dam. I've been debating that one a lot as well. I think you're right, maybe just make them a tad larger like they are on the '09 Vibe. They made them bigger for a reason I guess.

Last edited by Markmysite; 08-13-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread