Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

WTB - diesel engine.

I am looking to swap a diesel engine into my festiva that has a host of electrical problems , so I pulled all the wiring , rewired everything I need. So I am looking for a mechanical injected diesel or I will rebuild my spare motor and do a carb conversion.

Let me know what you have so I can make a decision , chances are I will have to go carb unless someone can make me a good enough deal I would like around 20hp in a diesel or more. Depending on the price I could be bothered to force fit in a 4 cylinder diesel engine. So just feeling for what is out there , but chances are I will be going carb because of the cost , condition and ease of modifying.

Last edited by Winfield1990; 04-19-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Willing to do an EV conversion if anybody has some of what I might need?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've look around at some motors off of ebay and realized the engine and battery weight alone would be too much for the vehicle. I could get a 50hp motor but the weight is almost as much as the car weighs stock , but being I could of gotten it for 200 bucks it was my go to choice , I would want the car 2400 or less with a 1700lb starting weight. So electric is gone , the range plus putting the car at a 4000lb weight is a no go. Diesel or carb conversion.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
the hp ratings are a bit misleading, but ev conversion still has its challenges and limitations. But you should be able to find 20hp continuous under 100lbs.
https://www.google.com/#q=festiva+site:evalbum.com

Some have converted festivas to small diesels:
13.4 hp example

but cowmeat was getting that kind of mileage with a stock festiva motor anyway...
EcoModder Fleet list - EcoModder.com
Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My big problem is finding a awesome price on a lightweight electric motor , since I also have the weight and cost of the batteries to worry about. At the same time electric still has the range downside so I think I am going to go with the carb stock motor rebuild , converted from efi because of the wiring problems I just ripped it all out since I couldnt find the problem , and still haven't after complete disassembly.

On the diesel side at the moment I am leaning towards a 10hp yanmar clone with a 190cc-900cc turbo which I read a build up on and he reported no issues with boost problems like people have using the worlds smallest turbo which his write up was never fixed on a fixed solution or what his problem was. He says his running at usual 7psi with most he has seen as 10 , outperforms the original 18hp kohler so deciding at the moment unless something falls into my lap.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield1990 View Post
..so I think I am going to go with the carb stock motor rebuild , converted from efi because of the wiring problems I just ripped it all out since I couldnt find the problem .
Oh, well when you mentioned carb, I was going to suggest putting in an EFI

From my perspective EFI is easier to troubleshoot, pull the injectors, see if they are squirting the right amount at the right time, scope the cam/crank signals, measure map signals, tps signals, etc. If all the inputs look right and the output is off, then it is the ECU. What goes on in a carb is a bit of a mystery.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well the motor that was in it I pulled and put into my car that
I drive around , I have the motor that was in my car tore apart for a rebuild for either one of the cars at the moment , bearings are almost perfect at 327k miles , has alot of blowby and all the gaskets are new along with a rebuilt cylinder head , so I tore it apart to rehone and re-ring if everything else looked good. So I will hopefully get that built soon.

The wiring on the car that I will be putting a diesel or a b3 back into was burnt up no power to the fuel pump 2volts going to the fuel injectors , I tracked all the wiring for about a week hour wires testing and swapping everything including the distributor , computer , relays , probing for resistance and voltage on everything working my way to bad voltage and resistance spots and fixing and reinsulating till the problems seemed to be gone. I never could get it to work right , I probably could have if I spent another probably 40 hours but I was doing everything every night after work in the cold of winter so I just cut and pulled all of it , rewired all my safety features and decided to go as simple as possible with it.

Reply  Post New Thread