EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Brilliant...??? or Scam...??? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/brilliant-scam-34667.html)

redneck 12-16-2016 09:08 AM

Brilliant...??? or Scam...???

Brilliant Light Power

Electrical power from water fuel

Brilliant Light Power

Quote:

Brilliant Light Power, Inc. has developed SunCell®, a 30 pound Table Top Electrical Generator capable of producing 125 KW of Power. SunCell® Energy Density conversion yield is staggering for it's small size and weight, 100 times greater than the equivalent amount of high-octane gasoline; enormous energy density.

Quote:

brilliant light’s suncell® has produced millions of watts of power at a power density that is significantly higher than that of any other power source. The nonpolluting power-producing suncell® catalytically converts h2o-based molten fuel injected into ignition electrodes directly into brilliant light-emitting plasma power. The suncell® plasma temperature is adjustable emitting a solar-like spectrum of light, but at extraordinary power equivalent to ten’s of thousands of times the sun’s intensity at the earth’s surface. Optical power is converted directly into electricity using concentrator photovoltaic cells (solar cells), very high-power, high-efficiency cells that are commercially available. Patents are filed worldwide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZLqp1dX14

They are planning field tests in 2017 and a commercial launch in 2018.

If true...

This could change life as we know it.

So.

Brilliant...??? or Scam...???

>

acparker 12-16-2016 09:41 AM

Quite likely a scam. The Wikipedia article is pretty damning.

RedDevil 12-16-2016 09:49 AM

The Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_Light_Power

solarguy 12-16-2016 10:37 AM

Yeah, scam.

Note the last line from the wiki entry (the guy used to go by Black Light Power, BLP, so it's the same dude.)

"BLP has announced several times that it was about to deliver commercial products based on Mill's theories but has not delivered a working product."

vapor ware...

redneck 12-16-2016 11:04 AM

Wikipedia...???

Anything Wikipedia should be taken with a grain of salt, in my opinion.

It seems that the jury is "still out" in regards to where the excess energy is coming from.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...should-exist1/

>

oil pan 4 12-16-2016 11:13 AM

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

It almost sounds like a chemical laser. Chemical laser fuel is expensive and the waste is usually unbelievable toxic.

Fingie 12-16-2016 01:05 PM

This smells, my gut tells me (it's usually smarter than my brain, and is often more legible than my mouth :P )

teepee0205 12-16-2016 01:42 PM

If scam it would have to be one of the best of all time

Consider that there are other companies and experts now involved in this. British Telecom, Columbia Technologies and Masimo Semiconductors all presented at the last public demonstration on Nov 5, 2016. Columbia Tech, a subsidiary of the Coghlin Companies is actually building the pilot Suncell, so for them to present would they are putting the company reputation on the line. There were also validators there from several universities that also presented. See the brilliantlightpower web page.

Also, BrLP just released this announcement of their new advisory board:
December 13th 2016, Cranbury, New Jersey, Brilliant Light Power, Inc. announces today the appointment of the Company’s Advisory Board –The Advisory Board consists of senior industry executives and includes Colin Bannon from BT, Bill Maurer from ABM Industries, Ray Gogel, former President of Current Group and US Grid Co., Matt Key, CEO of everynet and three additional executives from Telecoms, Finance and Legal professions.

“We searched extensively to identify Advisors that can help us answer some of the big questions to support our SunCell® commercial launch next year” said Dr. Randell L. Mills, Founder, President and CEO of Brilliant Light Power, Inc. “This is a team of senior executives from future customers, partners and advisory groups that will help us shape what we offer and how we offer it as we prepare to go to market”.

Bill Maurer, SVP from ABM Industries Energy division said “it’s a great opportunity to be part of the team that will launch the technology that will change the way we think about energy in the future”

Matt Key, CEO of everynet said “Brilliant Light Power has put together a very sophisticated advisory group and they have given us some big questions to consider. The SunCell® technology is an incredible invention and we all look forward to helping the Company in achieving its full potential by transforming the worlds energy markets as we know them”

The Advisory Board will meet monthly and will be advising Brilliant Light Power on its the commercial offerings, launch markets, potential customers and organizational structure the Company will employ to deliver them.

t vago 12-16-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teepee0205 (Post 529689)
Consider that there are other companies and experts now involved in this. British Telecom, Columbia Technologies and Masimo Semiconductors all presented at the last public demonstration on Nov 5, 2016. Columbia Tech, a subsidiary of the Coghlin Companies is actually building the pilot Suncell, so for them to present would they are putting the company reputation on the line. There were also validators there from several universities that also presented. See the brilliantlightpower web page.

Also, BrLP just released this announcement of their new advisory board:
December 13th 2016, Cranbury, New Jersey, Brilliant Light Power, Inc. announces today the appointment of the Company’s Advisory Board –The Advisory Board consists of senior industry executives and includes Colin Bannon from BT, Bill Maurer from ABM Industries, Ray Gogel, former President of Current Group and US Grid Co., Matt Key, CEO of everynet and three additional executives from Telecoms, Finance and Legal professions.

“We searched extensively to identify Advisors that can help us answer some of the big questions to support our SunCell® commercial launch next year” said Dr. Randell L. Mills, Founder, President and CEO of Brilliant Light Power, Inc. “This is a team of senior executives from future customers, partners and advisory groups that will help us shape what we offer and how we offer it as we prepare to go to market”.

Bill Maurer, SVP from ABM Industries Energy division said “it’s a great opportunity to be part of the team that will launch the technology that will change the way we think about energy in the future”

Matt Key, CEO of everynet said “Brilliant Light Power has put together a very sophisticated advisory group and they have given us some big questions to consider. The SunCell® technology is an incredible invention and we all look forward to helping the Company in achieving its full potential by transforming the worlds energy markets as we know them”

The Advisory Board will meet monthly and will be advising Brilliant Light Power on its the commercial offerings, launch markets, potential customers and organizational structure the Company will employ to deliver them.

Hi, Randy Mills!

oil pan 4 12-16-2016 02:00 PM

It looks like a scam, it smells like a scam, it is a scam.

teepee0205 12-16-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t vago (Post 529691)
Hi, Randy Mills!

Ok, I get what this forum is. No interest in looking at facts, just contempt prior to investigation.

t vago 12-16-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teepee0205 (Post 529694)
Ok, I get what this forum is. No interest in looking at facts, just contempt prior to investigation.

Most people just post links to their press releases. You did not need to post the press release itself.

Successful presentations of dubious claims do not involve appeals to authority or whining.

teepee0205 12-16-2016 02:25 PM

I tried to post the link but it wouldn't let me because I am too new to this forum.

freebeard 12-16-2016 02:44 PM

We all struggle with vBulletin's limitations. I'd like to be able to sort pictures in my albums.

I couldn't finish the 2 hour video. The 'replica, not model' sitting on the table represents only the top half of the mechanism on the slide. If passing megawatts of power though something the size of a softball isn't 100% efficient, it would melt the table it's sitting on.

The Scientific American article, OTOH, delves into hydrinos and similar efforts like Rossi's E-Cat and Sun Catalytics.

teepee0205 12-16-2016 03:08 PM

The demo day videos are way too long. If you are interested, watch the videos on the BrLP videos page of the Suncell in operation. Too much power is a problem, if you scroll down you will see what it did to the molybdenum-lined cell. Molybdenum has a melting point of 2,623°C. The tungsten electrodes also melted (melting point 3414°C) and have now been replaced with intersecting jets of molten silver. Actually they vaporized. There's still more engineering to do.

oil pan 4 12-16-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teepee0205 (Post 529694)

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Unicorn corral please.

RedDevil 12-16-2016 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 529649)
Anything Wikipedia should be taken with a grain of salt, in my opinion.

Definitely.
Actually you should take everything you ever took for granted with a grain of salt:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ieve-in-facts/
(new article on the ScientificAmerican site Freebeard referred to)

redpoint5 12-16-2016 06:11 PM

Why generate heat (required to produce a plasma), then convert the light from that into electricity using PV (which is generally less than 20% efficient)?

Not any chance at all that this is efficient, brilliant, or anything else but a waste of time.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-16-2016 06:29 PM

Sounds like a scam, even more worthless than those HHO generators.

teepee0205 12-16-2016 06:31 PM

The plasma is produced to enable the process, not as a result of. Despite the high temperature most of the energy from the reaction is primarily in the form of light in UV spectrum. They plan on using concentrating triple-junction PV running at 2000 suns which are about 40% efficient. There will still be a lot of waste heat.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-16-2016 06:34 PM

So, what's the point in having so much waste heat? Unless there were some heat-recovery setup, it sounds like a scam...

teepee0205 12-16-2016 06:37 PM

Why do you need a heat recovery process? Just like in a car engine that uses a radiator to dump heat, the Suncell design is to do the same. The commercially available CPV cells are already designed with heat rejection in their design because these solar farms that use them have the same problem with heat.

Vman455 12-16-2016 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teepee0205 (Post 529689)
Blah blah blah...December 13th 2016, Cranbury, New Jersey, Brilliant Light Power, Inc. announces today the appointment of the Company’s Advisory Board...blah blah blah

CRANBURY, NEW JERSEY?! The home of Williams-Sonoma, according to this year's Hater's Guide. Maybe you guys should do some sort of cross promotion thing--you know, Tartan Table Top Electrical Generator(TM) with "Mad Scientist" Twister/Aerator Decanter Set and Complimentary Blue Spruce Cone Salt and Pepper Shakers. Ad copy: "Best scam of all time! Enjoy a fine, aerated wine while you play at science and melt your table into another dimension with our exclusive Tartan generator. Salt and pepper shakers included for that whimsical, impromptu dinner party afterward!* $1,499,999.95.

*Served on the card table in the living room."

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-18-2016 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teepee0205 (Post 529727)
Why do you need a heat recovery process? Just like in a car engine that uses a radiator to dump heat, the Suncell design is to do the same. The commercially available CPV cells are already designed with heat rejection in their design because these solar farms that use them have the same problem with heat.

Heat recovery might be quite hard to fit into a mobile application such as a car, but it makes sense in stationary applications such as a powerplant since they're less weight-sensitive.

freebeard 12-18-2016 11:52 PM

I never made it through the 2 hour explanation; so I'm speculating; but if the reaction chamber is under a vacuum, the high temperatures may not result in large transfers of heat.

oil pan 4 12-19-2016 12:11 AM

They cant prove that it works and only need a lot of money to build a working one.
What could possibly go wrong?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-19-2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 529891)
I never made it through the 2 hour explanation; so I'm speculating; but if the reaction chamber is under a vacuum, the high temperatures may not result in large transfers of heat.

Unlike sound, heat can be transmitted through vacuum.

ThermionicScott 12-19-2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vman455 (Post 529731)
CRANBURY, NEW JERSEY?! The home of Williams-Sonoma, according to this year's Hater's Guide. Maybe you guys should do some sort of cross promotion thing--you know, Tartan Table Top Electrical Generator(TM) with "Mad Scientist" Twister/Aerator Decanter Set and Complimentary Blue Spruce Cone Salt and Pepper Shakers. Ad copy: "Best scam of all time! Enjoy a fine, aerated wine while you play at science and melt your table into another dimension with our exclusive Tartan generator. Salt and pepper shakers included for that whimsical, impromptu dinner party afterward!* $1,499,999.95.

*Served on the card table in the living room."

OMG, this year's Hater's Guide is out?? Finally, something worthwhile in this thread. :thumbup:

jamesqf 12-20-2016 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teepee0205 (Post 529724)
They plan on using concentrating triple-junction PV running at 2000 suns which are about 40% efficient. There will still be a lot of waste heat.

Even at 40% efficiency, the amount of waste heat (60% of 125 KW) would be enough to vaporize a 30 lb tabletop device in short order, unless there's some really efficient way of removing that heat.

It's also illogical to throw away 60% of your output, when you could e.g. put a water jacket around it, convert the water to steam, and use that to drive a turbine & generator. But that's boringly uncool, so I suppose it doesn't attract suckers investors :-)