EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Broke college student who dosn't like buying gas (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/broke-college-student-who-dosnt-like-buying-gas-24682.html)

H-Man 01-20-2013 07:38 PM

Broke college student who dosn't like buying gas

I'm majoring in engineering at the community college, I drive a geo prizm that gets less than amazing fuel economy.
I registered because it looks like the MPGunio can be built with just the ATMEGA168 microcontroller and $6 of parts if a AVR programmer is already had (parallel ports can do some AVR flashing.)

HydroJim 01-20-2013 09:39 PM

Welcome to the forum. What kind of MPG are you getting with your prizm? they're no fuel economy champs, but I always thought they got decent gas mileage.

MPGuino should definitely be your first modification. Having something to give you feedback on your driving really helps out :thumbup:

H-Man 01-20-2013 11:12 PM

Filled out log.
Maybe my mismatched tires have something to do with it only giving me 29 MPG.
Compared to what I used to drive (1988 chevy suburban with a 454 and 4.10 rear axle, 3 speed automatic) even the geo gets good fuel economy.

MetroMPG 01-21-2013 04:32 PM

MPGuino and driving technique will get you well over what you're getting now.

I see a few "70 mph" and "mountain" references in your fuel log. 70 is going to hurt for sure. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...you-15182.html

Mountains can too, depending on the driver.

Welcome to the forum!

H-Man 01-21-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 352247)
MPGuino and driving technique will get you well over what you're getting now.

I see a few "70 mph" and "mountain" references in your fuel log. 70 is going to hurt for sure. <link snipped so that I can post>

Mountains can too, depending on the driver.

Welcome to the forum!

Speed is worth it when time is at a premium (doing 75 has saved me >$160 when time is of the essence,) but I usually drive 55 on the highway, DWB when possible, EOC for 2-6 miles on a 30 mile round trip, use the DFCO on the engine when I can't EOC to a stop, and run my tires at a high pressure (max sidewall or 10 PSI from it depending on which gauge I use.) The lowest MPG I got was on the FSP benchmark as I call it, before I fixed some issues I got 16 MPG on it.
Two thirds of my route has the behavior of city traffic, the rest has the behavior of bad city traffic. I need to do a WAI because during the summer I was seeing 38 mpg with the AC running (it was 110 outside.)

MetroMPG 01-21-2013 05:39 PM

Sounds like you've been working on technique for a while.

Quote:

Two thirds of my route has the behavior of city traffic, the rest has the behavior of bad city traffic.
Funny. :)

Frank Lee 01-21-2013 06:08 PM

Years ago one of my coworkers had a Prism- nice looking car, said it got 40 mpg. Of course he didn't go 70 with it to get that.

HydroJim 01-21-2013 06:11 PM

Definitely sounds like you're off to a good start. I would probably stick with your car. Complete some of the modifications on this site, and you'll be getting 40 mpg no problem.

Getting another car is an option, but it might not be worth the cost for you. and a geo metro might not react too well with the hills in your area.

No matter what you do, you're on the path to saving money :thumbup:

H-Man 01-21-2013 07:18 PM

I have no disposable income, by the end of the semester I will be paying the bank $5 a month for not having enough money in my checking account.
I can afford insurance, one flat tire, and gasoline until the end of the semester. I'll built a mpgunio because the $10 in parts to build one (you don't need an arudio, just an Atmega168 and the electronics to run it) will be offset in fuel savings.