EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Brooklyn Bounce (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/brooklyn-bounce-27026.html)

BikerModder 09-22-2013 02:01 PM

Brooklyn Bounce

Hi all. I am on my second oil change and I had a Fumoto oil lever installed on my oil drain. But I drive a Smart car not like a daily RW or road warrior. I mean it is like 12 miles to the base. And my friend at work said I should post this. Now I feel this is an agrarian mod. The filtering system in the that this may work for some zones... I pulled the filter and put one of my own. A flat brilo I can see thru. Just to keep the crud, bugs and errata out. My filter has a lot of holes it is a porus sponge and I know it is not a Hayabusa mod but maybe an engine of proven design. I tested the specs when I got it. 31 in town tires a little low. Tested after cleaning and taking dirty filter out and got 41. In town? Yes sir. It is you know if you can go 55 on the HWY with the ForTwo where it does excellent. /sorry wordy. I get 49 there but it's how I drive.

Sean.Heihn 09-22-2013 06:57 PM

Um... I don't understand what you are asking with the poll? Are you asking how replacing the filter with a Brillo (Do you mean a green Scotch pad?) will affect your engine? Did you oil the pad? That's how the high flow air filters like K&N and aFe trap fine dust while still having a more porous filter media, the oil attracts and holds the dirt in the media. Either way, I think it's a bad idea. A Scotch pad is way too porous to effectively trap dirt even when oiled, without oil it won't stop anything but large material. Just go out and buy a drop in K&N or aFe filter, they only cost twice as much as a disposable paper, yet last as long as the car. Plus, airflow restriction from the filter really only happens at high throttle positions.

BikerModder 09-22-2013 09:31 PM

Yes and bad though just I thought about it 2 years ago. I just shared the idea as it has been awhile. I have that one mod that I supplied but they thought it was an engine design. I have seen maybe the worst dust devil scenario but it was an Idaho potato field and pile up. I mean tragic yet miraculous at the same time. This though. It is an around the towner. And I have a Smart Pure. gets 25.3% increase and I am happier about the running on 87 oct though and it is. It is just not the time.

Flakbadger 09-22-2013 09:34 PM

No offense but replacing your air filter with a brillo or scotch-brite pad is a terrible idea. Small bits of dust are going to get into your cylinders and scratch the hell out of them. To be 100% honest, the air filter is not going to net you that much of an improvement. I use the crappy disposable paper ones 'cause they're cheap and effective. Or like Sean.Heihn said, get a K&N and be done with it. You only have to oil them once in awhile.

BikerModder 09-22-2013 09:42 PM

It is not a terrible idea then. To a machinist?

XYZ 09-22-2013 09:54 PM

What does this have to do with BROOKLYN?

It may attract attention to your thread, but it does nothing for your credibility.

H-Man 09-22-2013 10:41 PM

I imagined something like how I manage to bounce my car off the suspension by braking hard so that I can back into my parking spot without the assist of a downhill grade or the engine.

BikerModder 09-23-2013 12:31 AM

Smart car has a Scoop for the engine that you know.It comes from the side. If you air scoop through the intake through the engine you'll get free flowing air to the throttle body. There is a lot of vacuum from the highway. While driving at speed and while sitting at a proper idle or reving.Dust gets stirred and picked up and all over the engine and through the breather. Maybe a Smart mod. So I guess. No one is gonna dump dirt down your air breather. I have a Miata but it is 1st year or 1st gen. So I don't know I drive both when I want mileage.

California98Civic 09-23-2013 12:54 AM

This thread is dada.

http://0.tqn.com/d/arthistory/1/0/H/...newyork_01.jpg

pgfpro 09-23-2013 01:40 AM

I need more information about this dust devil scenario that happen in a Idaho potato field and less information about the pile up???:confused: