EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Brother killed yesterday on MC (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/brother-killed-yesterday-mc-11887.html)

aerohead 01-16-2010 01:56 PM

Brother killed yesterday on MC

I was notified yesterday that my middle brother in Phoenix,had been killed that morning while commuting to work on his bike.
I'll be leaving for Arizona tomorrow.
All you 2-wheelers be especially vigilant when riding.

dcb 01-16-2010 03:20 PM

Sorry to hear that Phil, that sucks.

If it was the one on I-17 then it sounds like he was hit by a car, so lets ask the 4 wheelers to be careful too (and put down the cell phone and pay attention to the road).

alohaspirit 01-16-2010 03:42 PM

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...ondolences.jpg

orange4boy 01-16-2010 04:59 PM

That's such sad news, Phil.

My condolences to you and your family.

Laurentiu 01-16-2010 05:50 PM

Sincere condolences...
I've also ridden a bike for a short while here in city traffic and stopped doing that after a few near misses and one driver's door I slammed against...anyway "lucky" for me that bicycle got stolen soon after that. I know it's risky but so is driving and lots of other things. I'm sure your brother is in a better place now...

ChazInMT 01-16-2010 06:01 PM

Very sorry to hear the terrible news Phil.

You will be in my thoughts.

Cd 01-16-2010 07:28 PM

Sorry to hear that Phil.
I can't imagine what you are going through now.

ASV 01-17-2010 05:48 PM

order99 01-17-2010 10:24 PM

I'm so terribly sorry.

MadisonMPG 01-17-2010 10:45 PM

My condolences to you and your family.

Lazarus 01-17-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohaspirit (Post 154667)

+1

Christ 01-17-2010 10:55 PM

Phil...

I don't know what to say... I tend to view these things differently than most, and I want to express my empathy here, without being offensive in any way.

Suffice it to say, I have had similar experiences, and I feel like we can come away from these events in life stronger, both in spirit and in mind.

Here's to health and life, Phil - take your time, family is most important.

bikin' Ed 01-18-2010 08:35 AM

My condolences, Phil.

-Ed

Funny 01-18-2010 10:07 AM

We all feel sorry for those we have lost. May you be able to cope with as much support from us as you need. Our Condolences...

tasdrouille 01-18-2010 11:55 AM

Sorry to hear Phil.

Good luck,

Martin

MetroMPG 01-18-2010 01:38 PM

Phil, that's awful news. Sorry to hear it.

gasstingy 01-18-2010 02:00 PM

I too am saddened by your loss Phil.

thatguitarguy 01-18-2010 09:26 PM

I feel deeply for you Phil.

I've been knocked off my bicycle by cars 4 times, and am very lucky to be alive. It's never happen on my MC, but I feel much empathy anytime anything larger than a 2 wheeler collides with one. We always lose.

My thoughts are with you.

user removed 01-18-2010 10:24 PM

3 brothers here. We have been close all our lives. I can not fathom your grief.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

regards
Mech

NeilBlanchard 01-19-2010 12:29 AM

I am very sorry to hear this sad news. My thoughts are with you Phil, and all your family.

aerohead 01-30-2010 04:18 PM

Thanks to all

I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts.
For years I considered the risks 2-wheelers take when in traffic.I swore off street riding after having to lay my bike down too many times on Ventura Blvd.,trying to get to High School and back.
My brother Ross had been introduced to motorcycles when he was about 10-yrs-old,riding neighbors' Triumphs and BSAs down in the LA River basin,feet barely able to reach the pegs.
He was commuting to work on I-17,near the Buckeye-Curve when a chain-reaction pileup was developing ahead.He must not have had adequate following distance,or perhaps had been cut off,losing his distance margin.Don't know,wasn't there.
Anyway,he could not stop in time. Eye-witnesses say he laid the bike down and attempted to crab-walk out of harm's way,eventually striking the car ahead,and pitching into the slow lane.
A twenty-five-yr-old in a Dodge Durango drove into the barrier in an attempt to miss him,but could not avoid striking him.
Fire-rescue EMTs were in traffic commuting to work,right there on I-17,when the collision occurred and responded immediately.
Ross suffered blunt force trauma to the upper body,lived momentarily,incoherent,unable to breath.Nothing could be done.
Perhaps the only good I can offer from the loss is to emphasize how fragile we are,how much we're loved and will be missed if lost,and to stress extreme vigilance when riding.
Ross was a very experienced veteran rider.Be really careful out there.

Wonderboy 01-30-2010 04:30 PM

My sincere sympathy, Phil.

-Will

RH77 01-30-2010 08:40 PM

Sincere condolences.

drimportracing 01-30-2010 09:01 PM

I am so sorry. Losing a brother is like losing a part of yourself. My condolences to you and your family. :( - Dale

NeilBlanchard 01-30-2010 09:32 PM

I am very sorry for your loss. My condolences for you and yours.

koihoshi 01-30-2010 10:53 PM

This is so sad :( I always hate hearing about another riding passing on. It is indeed risky business. I am sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.

dcb 01-30-2010 10:57 PM

sorry Phil.

It sounds like the traffic behind could have used some more following distance (or attention) too.

I appreciate what you might be feeling about motorcycles right now, I'm not to thrilled with Durangos at the moment. I'm just not sure this is the right forum. Folks have no idea how many people die in cars or get squished by them everyday, way more than die on or get hit by motorcycles, that is the real problem in my book.

I think your brother probably understood the risks given he is a vet, but that doesn't give any 4 wheeler a license to kill.

cfg83 01-31-2010 03:14 AM

Phil -

I am so sorry. I have no words.

Carlos

Ford Man 01-31-2010 07:25 PM

Sorry for your loss. I'm 50 years old and been riding dirt and street bikes ever since I was about 13-14 years old. Back in the mid 80's I had a tractor turn left in front of me on my 1100 Yamaha and I ended up laying the bike down instead of hitting the tractor or probably going under it and being run over. The thing that really disturbed me about that incident was the driver of the tractor made a comment "that's the second time that's happened to me today". It looks like after the first time he would have opened his eyes. It really doesn't matter how much experience you have you can't always avoid car/motorcycle accidents. Even though that's the only time I've actually been involved in an accident, I've had many more close calls with cars pulling out in front of me over the years and have learned to always reduce my speed when coming to any intersection.

JackMcCornack 02-01-2010 04:22 PM

Phil, I am so sorry to hear this. Yes, life is fragile.