EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Building a truck... Need help on bells and whistles... Advice please (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/building-truck-need-help-bells-whistles-advice-please-23846.html)

RobbMeeX 10-31-2012 06:02 PM

Building a truck... Need help on bells and whistles... Advice please

So I just bought a truck same body style as my first vehicle - a '93 Isuzu pickup. Stock is carbed with a 2.3l. It currently has a bad head gasket, needs head resurfaced, etc. I'm going to Megasquirt it with a small turbo. I'm currently thinking td04-13c from a Volvo (my first vehicle, only had a month...)
Interesting note: this truck has AIR Ports in the head. I am thinking of using these ports for EGR. Dunno if MS can control EGR, but we'll see.
Whatcha think? Thoughts, ideas, etc???

TL: DR:
8valves
Megasquirt
Td04-13c
Add EGR
7psi max.

mackerel 10-31-2012 07:34 PM

If I had to change engines on my truck, I'd think hard about a 2.0 VW TDI.

GRU 10-31-2012 08:19 PM

yeah a small diesel would be great

RobbMeeX 11-01-2012 12:28 PM

I really want to run something on megasquirt. Thats the reason for gas.

Otherwise like a kubota 3 cylinder or something wacky. Also, never had to troubleshoot diesel. Thats why i'm sticking to gas.

DevilzTower 11-01-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbMeeX (Post 337302)
I really want to run something on megasquirt. Thats the reason for gas.

Otherwise like a kubota 3 cylinder or something wacky. Also, never had to troubleshoot diesel. Thats why i'm sticking to gas.

Understand your hestitation, but older mechanical injected diesels are actually easier to problem diagnose than gas engines.

All you need is fuel and air, no spark (or spark system to be concerned with),

but playing around with a megasquirt system sounds like fun to!

oil pan 4 11-01-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbMeeX (Post 337302)
Also, never had to troubleshoot diesel. Thats why i'm sticking to gas.

I take care of kubota generators that haves tens of thousands of hours per year on them and don't have yet to trouble shoot the engine its self.

I would take the all mechanical diesel over the electronic gas fuel injection any day.

mackerel 11-01-2012 07:28 PM

So just out of curiosity, how hard and costly would it be to put a 2 liter kubota diesel into an '86 Toyota truck?

Edit: Belay that. The output hp just isn't high enough.

RobbMeeX 11-01-2012 08:42 PM

Mackerel, did you say turbo a diesel into a Toyota :-P

IsaacCarlson 11-01-2012 10:15 PM

A diesel swap would be worth every penny. If you could do the work yourself or if you have a friend who can weld you are in good shape. A mechanical diesel and a manual transmission is a piece of cake to install. All you need to do is run the pedal connection, fuel line, radiator line, your alternator wires, etc...
Do it if you think you can swing it.

A lot easier than a gas motor. I am putting a 3.8 in a sunfire and while fairly easy, it does require a decent amount of rewiring/splicing and fabrication. I am using the sunfire transmission because the 3.8 will bolt up to it, but I have to upgrade some internals before I even run it so I don't grenade it.:eek:

I have wanted to put a diesel in my pickup for a while but those 4BT's are as rare and expensive as hens teeth. If I find one, I will get it.

RobbMeeX 11-02-2012 10:18 PM

You guys have me thinking diesel...
Turbo diesel conversion???
Best diesel suggestion?