EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Cadillac Escalade Hybrid! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cadillac-escalade-hybrid-5210.html)

bennelson 09-22-2008 10:08 PM

Cadillac Escalade Hybrid!

I just saw a TV ad for the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid!!!!

Is this total old news that I haven't heard about?

Is an Escalade Hybrid an Oxymoron, or a great way for people who are going to drive those anyways to save gas?

cfg83 09-22-2008 10:37 PM

bennelson -

I just looked at the link to the press release in the lower left corner. It's dated November 9, 2007. I don't pay too much attention to it because of it's weight, so I am not aware of it's abilities.

I am aware of the GM hybrid tranny, which is supposed to be maginificent. The electric motor is built into the tranny. Auto-stop and V8->V4 cylinder deactivation.

Google google google ... Here's the article on the tranny I was thinking of :

Three GM SUVs with Two-Mode Hybrid Engines | Green Car .com
http://www.greencar.com/images/insid...ode-Hybrid.jpg
Quote:

A Cadillac Escalade SUV that gets up to 20 mpg in city driving? General Motors says that its 2009 luxury SUV will deliver more than a 50 percent improvement in fuel economy in the city when equipped with the company’s new two-mode hybrid system. This is the same percentage increase as the 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid and Green Car Journal’s 2008 Green Car of the Year, the Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid, although one mpg less estimated city fuel economy than these latter two. While the Escalade’s fuel economy is not up there with a Prius, this is worlds better than the 12 mpg EPA city rating for a non-hybrid 2008 Escalade and represents an intelligent application of technology to improve environmental performance.

GM’s 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon Hybrids will be appearing in dealerships any time now, while the Escalade variant will be available next summer. Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra two-mode hybrid pickups will also show up in 2008. The two-mode hybrid is the product of a joint development program between GM, DaimlerChrysler, and BMW that began in 2004. The technology is based on the very successful Allison hybrid transmission used in large buses now operating in many U.S. cities.

CarloSW2

jamesqf 09-22-2008 10:55 PM

"A Cadillac Escalade SUV that gets up to 20 mpg in city driving?"

My mind boggles at the use of "up to" in relation to "20 mpg".

dcb 09-22-2008 11:00 PM

This is like something the other Ben would post when he wants to stir the pot :)

RH77 09-22-2008 11:18 PM

One of those Escalade pickup trucks passed me today (EXT?) Still trying to figure that one out.

This is where Cadillac is missing the point AGAIN. In the early 1980's, they introduced the V8-6-4 engine, the Cimmaron, and smaller engines to appeal to fuel saving Cadillac customers. But during a gas crisis or recession, new Cadillac buyers aren't concerned about FE. As a result, Lincoln cleaned-up the market with their Town Car.

If it's Greenwashing, to big, too late.

RH77

Red 09-22-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 62727)
The electric motor is built into the tranny.

God help when that goes bad.......

mrmad 09-23-2008 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 62742)
God help when that goes bad.......

That's what I was thinking. Probably cost about what a Smart car goes for to repair it.

Red 09-23-2008 01:02 AM

Upside to that is, I'll bet we could find em cheap in 5 years. Bolt up a 6spd behind it, drop the gears in the diff, and it just might actually get more than 20 MPG without all the fancy dodads

tasdrouille 09-23-2008 07:41 AM

The Escalade hybrid is plain stupid imho. But for some people it makes sense, like the guy driving in the ad I saw. He would be driving an Escalade anyway, so it might at least be an hybrid. I have to give credit to their marketing dept though. Their other ad for the CTS is just brilliant with the "when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?" at the end.

Tony Raine 09-23-2008 08:51 AM

I love the idea of making the "mammoth" SUV's get better mileage. yeah, Richie Rich can afford the cost, so it doesn't matter to them if it gets 1 mile per gallon and gas is $10 a gallon.

but, those with endless amounts of money can now jump on the "green" bandwagon and look cool because they are driving a hybrid. and whether THEY care or not, they are using less fuel, which lowers our overall demand....

bikin' Ed 09-23-2008 09:11 AM

Some things to consider, though not always, or even usually true:

The guy driving the hybrid escalde may often transport 5-7 people and needs the room. Perhaps he has a large family or car pools. Would it be more green to have to have a different vehicle for every situation?

The guy driving the escalade has to carry product or samples for his job and needs the room. You don't really know what's behind the tinted glass. I'm glad he's working and helping us support our tax base.

The guy driving the escalade is determined to buy an American vehicle. Yes it's got parts from all over but at least the profits stay here and are taxed to help support our tax base.

The guy driving the escalade loves his Caddie, and has saved for a long time to own one. Even though he uses his bicycle most of the time, sometimes he just needs a vehicle and wants to roll in style.

We never know anyone's total situation, so shouldn't be too quick to judge. After all, he paid a loooooot extra for a few more mpgs.

bennelson 09-23-2008 09:46 AM

Bikin' Ed,

I totally agree with you. That's why I am not outright against SUVs the way some people sound like they are.

However, in the ad, they don't even HINT at any of those things.

He's the only guy in the car, there is no trailer or kayak on the roof, they don't even show groceries in back.

In fact, the only thing they make a point of is how LUXURIOUS it is.

In some ways, I think this goes to why the Prius is such a popular car. (I know there are lots of great Prius drivers on this forum, now don't get me wrong.)

Most Prius' I see driving around are FLYING past me on the road. I believe that the typical Prius driver wants to get better fuel economy, but still wants air-conditioning, plenty of seating, etc. In short, being green without making any other changes to their behavior.

Isn't the Hybrid Escalade the same thing? People want to feel better about themselves and save gas, but without making any other changes?

I think the philosophy of most people on this forum is the opposite of that - first, change your behavior (Yourself), then modify your vehicle or get a different one.

I guess that still brings me back to wondering if a Hybrid Giant SUV is a good idea or not. Is it saving fuel because people would just be driving SUVs anyways, or does it just ENCOURAGE SUV ownership because it's now more socially acceptable?

PS: I also thought it was interesting that the drivetrain on this thing is based on one from a BUS!

Tony Raine 09-23-2008 11:26 AM

i wish they would do something like this to an suv like mine. even new "compact" suvs look huge compared to mine. i don't get it, i can seat 4 very comfortably, carry enough camping supplies for a weekend with those 4, and tow around 4000 pounds. and its a v-6. and i can park dang near anywhere (think ford ranger, but shorter)

my rig with a setup like this would probably pull 50 mpg easy.... guess i need to build it myself :(

RH77 09-23-2008 11:36 AM

In a random, Unscientific poll, I usually observe one person and maybe a baby or other passenger I can't see. I did see one towing a boat one weekend :o

At a GM testdrive event a couple years ago, I drove one of these land yachts on a mild test course. I honestly can't get over how much it just feels like a dressed-up Chevy truck (which is what it is).

The funniest part, is watching people try to park these things. Reminds me of that electric cart scene from Austin Powers.

RH77

cfg83 09-23-2008 12:17 PM

RH77 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 62815)
In a random, Unscientific poll, I usually observe one person and maybe a baby or other passenger I can't see. I did see one towing a boat one weekend :o

At a GM testdrive event a couple years ago, I drove one of these land yachts on a mild test course. I honestly can't get over how much it just feels like a dressed-up Chevy truck (which is what it is).

The funniest part, is watching people try to park these things. Reminds me of that electric cart scene from Austin Powers.

RH77

Ooooooh, maybe I'll carry a clicker for counting the passengers in SUVs. I think I already know the breakdown, ;) .

CarloSW2

wagonman76 09-23-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 62790)
Bikin' Ed,In some ways, I think this goes to why the Prius is such a popular car. (I know there are lots of great Prius drivers on this forum, now don't get me wrong.)

Most Prius' I see driving around are FLYING past me on the road. I believe that the typical Prius driver wants to get better fuel economy, but still wants air-conditioning, plenty of seating, etc. In short, being green without making any other changes to their behavior.

Yes, same here. Thats what Ive thought for years as just about every Prius Ive seen is just flying down the road and through town. Makes me wonder if theyre really getting much for fuel savings. Then again most of them are here to spend wastefully anyway.

This is the first Ive heard of the Escalade Hybrid too. And I first saw the commercial the other night as well. At least its not limited to a Caddy, it can go into any other GM with a similar platform.

I wouldnt want to think about the repair cost on that motor either. Would probably be cheaper to just drive it around as a non-hybrid.

SuperTrooper 09-23-2008 12:24 PM

BTW, the system is available in 4 door Chevy pickups and Tahoes. It adds about $10K to the price.

You people continue to amaze me. You complain when GM puts out a system that gets 20 mpg, in the city, on a vehicle that weighs almost 3 tons. We all can't drive 50 mpg spam cans, or want to. Heck, a Tahoe would take the place of 3 vehicles in my yard: the minivan that holds 7 people, the Trooper I use to tow my boat and camper, and my wife's Explorer that barely ekes out 17 mpg.

Red 09-23-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper (Post 62822)
BTW, the system is available in 4 door Chevy pickups and Tahoes. It adds about $10K to the price.

You people continue to amaze me. You complain when GM puts out a system that gets 20 mpg, in the city, on a vehicle that weighs almost 3 tons. We all can't drive 50 mpg spam cans, or want to. Heck, a Tahoe would take the place of 3 vehicles in my yard: the minivan that holds 7 people, the Trooper I use to tow my boat and camper, and my wife's Explorer that barely ekes out 17 mpg.

But see, you are one of the rare people who would actually use such a vehicle properly and the way it was intended. I can't speak for the rest of the US, but out here in California, most of those vehicles are just bought for they status they claim to bring. 98% of the time they are used a commuter vehicles hauling 1 idiot to and from work. Rare is the truck that is actually used a truck to haul or tow stuff.

NeilBlanchard 09-23-2008 01:14 PM

Hello,

I saw a regular pearl white Escalade a little while back, with some of those blue plastic "testicles" hanging under the trailer hitch...:rolleyes:

i_am_socket 09-23-2008 05:00 PM

This kinda reminds me of an article I read (and now can't find) about the Lexus hybrid that got worse or the same gas milage as the normal version. It's a hybrid, that means its good right?

As much as I dislike SUVs as the station wagon replacement they've become (bring back the wagon!), I applaud the effort to save some fuel.

EcoMurph 10-17-2008 08:55 PM

Vanity Insanity

The Escalade is the Diet Coke of the automotive world... The American Eco-Friendly Diet: Three large slices of pizza, onion rings, french fries, chicken wings and an Escalade, please. Go green!

Why not put all those resources to work trying to design a hybrid that would combine the most efficient hybrid engine wth the most efficient use of cargo space, instead of chucking an electric motor in a tank?

FunkSkunk 10-18-2008 11:03 AM

Come on guys, if it makes the suburban rich hockey mom feel better about driving that behemoth to the mall then it's a great idea!

Matt Herring 10-18-2008 11:24 AM

Anyone that would pay $75,000k to get 20 mpg in a "hybrid" can have it! Buy two while you're at it!

I posted a thread about the Escalade Hybrid last week...link here

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post66681

The first time I saw it was in an ad in Sports Illustrated in early October. I still have the issue and will post what the ad said...hypocracy!

I liken the Hybrid Escalade to McDonald's putting fat-free cheese on their Big Macs! It might make a difference but at what cost?

FunkSkunk 10-18-2008 11:44 AM

There's my hockey mom! :thumbup:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/hybridsuv/SK7DU...5BUNSET%5D.jpg

FunkSkunk 10-18-2008 11:47 AM

This is the only way an escalade could get good gas mileage -->
2007 GM™ Luxury Cadillac Ecalade Golf Car / NEV

slurp812 10-18-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 62724)
I just saw a TV ad for the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid!!!!

Is this total old news that I haven't heard about?

Is an Escalade Hybrid an Oxymoron, or a great way for people who are going to drive those anyways to save gas?

I would bet a Civic LX would still get close to double MPG...

Matt Herring 10-18-2008 12:41 PM

heres what the ad for the escalade hybrid says in sports illustrated...

"provides an epa estimated 20 mpg in the city. more than a mini cooper s convertible with automatic transmission. so much for the size theory. apparently it is possible to seat more than 4 adults luxuriously and still be competitive on fuel efficiency."

the ad then compares the ecalade hybrids 20 mpg to the mini cooper, mercedes benz c class, bmw x3 and volvo xc90 saying it gets better mpg than all of them.

nice fat 2 page full color ad for their nice fat hybrid

slurp812 10-18-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Herring (Post 67942)
heres what the ad for the escalade hybrid says in sports illustrated...

"provides an epa estimated 20 mpg in the city. more than a mini cooper s convertible with automatic transmission. so much for the size theory. apparently it is possible to seat more than 4 adults luxuriously and still be competitive on fuel efficiency."

the ad then compares the ecalade hybrids 20 mpg to the mini cooper, mercedes benz c class, bmw x3 and volvo xc90 saying it gets better mpg than all of them.

nice fat 2 page full color ad for their nice fat hybrid

Seats more than 4, so it would make a good bus. 95% of my miles driven are alone, I really don't need a bus. Yes, its better than a non-hybrid and there are people who use them like some with lots of kids, etc.

Big Dave 10-18-2008 06:38 PM

Like I said in another thread, the vast preponderance of people don't want a little car unless parking is an issue. They want a fuel efficient car that can do a lot of their missions. Usually "little" and "fuel efficient" go together but not always. "Little" and "multi-mission" rarely go together.

Yeah, most people drive their big vehicle alone or without a load of freight. I am much like that. Normally I merely haul my fat butt. Today I brought all the material needed for a fairly good sized project. If I had a Prius I'd need ten or twelve trips and I'd still have some 4x8s. Renting a truck on Saturdays is not much of an option, and a $200 rental for one trip sticks in my craw.

Not all trips are single commuters and cars are too expensive to hack a special-purpose car.

Since the EPA foreclosed the diesel hybrid is the only choice left.

metromizer 10-20-2008 04:22 PM

Will GM partner with Countrywide to help finance these?

not trying to be argumentative, but our opinions are based on our life experiences, yes?

I wish I had a dollar for every soccer mom and 1-2 kids I've seen driving an Escalade the last five years... Where I lived, at least for me, those luxury SUV's epiomized the calm before the storm.

It was a most interesting phenomenon I watched unfold in the SF Bay Area suburbs. Younger families with upper-middle class incomes, my neighbors, would buy a house out in the burbs. Maybe sold a house in silicon valley and moved out here with enough cash to put a sizable down payment, and buy a couple of new cars at the same time. The house would appreciate 15% or more per year. They acted as though this was a given... borrowing against that equity through re-fi avery couple years and buy toys like a new ski boat, an Escalade and boob job for stay at home mom, a new lifted 4x4 Diesel and Harley for dad. I couldn't understand it. Today those same neighbors of mine are selling off the toys, trading in the SUV 9the used car lots are full of SUV lease returns) Dad is looking for work (construction is all but stopped, lending and real estate sales are all but non-existent) Many, many foreclosures on everystreet.

I think GM is using this as a stop-gap until they can re-tool, they need a different customer, product, or both IMO

slurp812 10-20-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 68000)
Like I said in another thread, the vast preponderance of people don't want a little car unless parking is an issue. They want a fuel efficient car that can do a lot of their missions. Usually "little" and "fuel efficient" go together but not always. "Little" and "multi-mission" rarely go together.

Yeah, most people drive their big vehicle alone or without a load of freight. I am much like that. Normally I merely haul my fat butt. Today I brought all the material needed for a fairly good sized project. If I had a Prius I'd need ten or twelve trips and I'd still have some 4x8s. Renting a truck on Saturdays is not much of an option, and a $200 rental for one trip sticks in my craw.

Not all trips are single commuters and cars are too expensive to hack a special-purpose car.

Since the EPA foreclosed the diesel hybrid is the only choice left.

You can rent a truck form Home Depot for 20 bucks (well you could last year). There is no way I will pay double to drive a big vehicle on a 50 mile round trip commute. Some seem to want to do that. I would rather spend my $$$ on something else. To each his own. Like I said, some people need a truck. I might need one once per year. The few thousand I save in gas is worth it to me. As much as I drive, a Prius would save me close that $200 per month vs a truck. I know guys who use their trucks daily. If you do the math, the big truck/SUV drivers can save more $$$ than me by hypermiling. Sure, I get 7 mpg above EPA in the summer months, but 3 mpg in a Silverado will save more $$$ than my 7.

Clev 10-20-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 68000)

Anybody who can afford a $75,000 Escalade can afford a small car for their commute, and I don't see people hauling a lot of lumber in an Escalade. Oh, and good show getting 27+ mpg in an F-350.

wagonman76 10-21-2008 12:17 PM

I have a 5x8 enclosed trailer for whenever I need to haul big or messy things. That way I dont need a truck, and its all on my schedule.