EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Call for the Honda people (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/call-honda-people-9945.html)

RandomFact314 09-02-2009 08:08 AM

Call for the Honda people

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I was looking at a book on how to rebuild Honda B-series engines,
The guy that has the 2 CRXs both have D-series engines (or so he says)
and I just started wondering, what engine did I have in my old crx b/c it was a awesome engine (it seemed to me anyways) Can anyone tell from this picture which engine it is?

I know its just a small question but thanks for the help if you can tell me what engine it is, and if you can't can you just tell me what series engine it is? Thanks!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1251893239

Ryland 09-02-2009 09:26 AM

It's a single over head cam engine, the "B" engine is a dual over head cam...

Honda B engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SVOboy 09-02-2009 10:09 AM

That's a d16a6 I believe

pgfpro 09-02-2009 10:52 AM

The d series are killer engines that are underrated.

Heres a nice link.

D-Series Specs

RandomFact314 09-02-2009 05:18 PM

You know a long time ago I gave up on cars and went do working on computers, I can't freaking believe it but now I wish that I would have stuck with cars >:/ I figured that I would not change my mind but I guess its a little late right now since I'm already trying to get my Computer System Management >.<

some_other_dave 09-02-2009 05:31 PM

It looks like a stock CRX Si engine, which is the aforementioned D16A6. If the valve cover says "16 VALVE" on it, consider that another indicator.

The stock HF motor would be a D15B7 (I think it's a 7 in the last position). It would also have the MPFI, but would be an 8-valve motor and not a 16-valve one. The intake piping would also look smaller, I think.

Most later D-series motors that are swap candidates would either have DOHC instead of Single Over Head Cams, or would have VTEC, which this motor does not appear to have.

All of those support the conclusion of D16A6.

-soD

Hatchtastic 09-06-2009 12:06 AM

+3 for D16a6. HF was D15B6 with MPFI. If it was a fast car, then it most definitely NOT an HF lol. Not a VTEC motor (D16z6 or D16Y8) because they have the spark plug wires at the front of the valve cover.

Christ 09-06-2009 12:13 AM

It's a D16A6, for sure.

The CRX in general is slow... whether it has 108HP (Si) or 62HP (HF). Almost double the HP, and still just as slow... :rolleyes:

Now, to attest to the D-series and it's performance on the cheap, several racers have built 400HP on the stock crank. The rods are the weak point, being pencils and all. Replace those, and the block casting is the weak point, allowing flex in the main bearings. Get a better than OEM girdle, and some proper machining, you can easily get into the 250's and really early 300's as a DD, but it requires serious tuning to keep anything together over 200 or so, and usually boost as well.

Not that any of that matters for our purposes here.

B-swaps aren't great for mileage unless you're going for the torque-heavy B-swaps, like the B18 non-vtec models (USDM Integras) which can run at fairly low RPMs and still accelerate nicely.

I've seen guys claiming high 30's with built D-series, and several claiming mid-30's with B-series street cars.

pgfpro 09-06-2009 12:47 AM

I had a 418whp D16Z6 that I ran for about 6 years then sold it. The best the car ran was 11.8@130mph spinning thru 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. It was a stock block and crank running eagle rods and Arias pistons. This was in a heavy Civic SI model. My new setup should make around 475whp with my new turbo and manifold.

I have since then had several stock D16 engines with arp head bolts that ran mid 12's @ 120mph.

You can make great HP with them with very little money. Plus they all can get great FE.

A good site to check out is D-Series.org - Your Ultimate D-Series Resource

I'm rrussell on there and have a couple stickeys. Feel free to pm with any questions.