EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Call me crazy...(noob) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/call-me-crazy-noob-20856.html)

MosersMopars 03-06-2012 01:59 PM

Call me crazy...(noob)

New to the site and my 2001 Dodge Durango (5.9L, 4x4). I seem to have really given myself a handicap with this truck, staring at 13-15MPG as a tank-to-tank average. I'll be making upgrades soon and hopefully posting my fuel-savings here to help others who are forced to drive people-movers rather than gas-savers. I've been modding for mileage since about 2001 with my 1992 Dodge Dakota (3.9L, 4x4 ext.cab), and I didn't even mean to. I slapped a huge open-element filter on the engine, upgraded the spark plugs and went from 17-20MPG tank-to-tank average. My previous vehicle was a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.3L, 4spd, fwd) that I modded from 21 to 27 MPG tank-to-tank. See ya 'round.

larrybuck 03-06-2012 06:14 PM

Welcome! The Durango may prove to be a tougher one for sure to bring up the mpgs.,
but if you will do a little reading here, I'm sure some better results are possible.

I used to have a '92 Dakota Sport when I lived in NC., (2.5 4 cyl., 5spd.) and used it for courier work usually going about 300miles a day, 5 days a week.

With that setup; keeping to a max of 55mph., I was able to get up to 37mpg. during
the warmer months, (lived in NW mountainous part/worked that part too..to far west) that was with a canopy, or camper top, depending on local phraseiology!

I put 392,000 miles on it very quickly, original clutch still great, never bumped up
tire pressure in those days...

Maybe you could do swap for your Dakota?

Again; welcome!

Frank Lee 03-06-2012 08:04 PM

Call you crazy? OK... you're crazy. If you really are hauling those mass quantities all over, it seems you already found the formula for success with that van and now you've abandoned it for something pretty hopeless. The Durango will never even get close.

MosersMopars 03-08-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 291703)
Call you crazy? OK... you're crazy. If you really are hauling those mass quantities all over, it seems you already found the formula for success with that van and now you've abandoned it for something pretty hopeless. The Durango will never even get close.

I'm not trying to bleed a turnip here, i know that my 360 will never see the gas mileage that my van did. I ditched the van at 260,000 miles because it was constantly needing repair. As an only vehicle, it just didn't make sense, and wasn't safe for my 4 kids. The Durango fits my requirements of 2 driven axles and trustworthiness. That said. I don't see the sense in driving any vehicle that isn't as efficient as is practical. I'm hoping for 20, but i will be satified with 18. Any 20% improvent is a win in my book, wether it's from a baseline of 50 mpgs or 5.

UFO 03-08-2012 11:36 AM

18-20 mpg would be a notable accomplishment with that vehicle.