EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   Camry hybrid selling at record pace (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/camry-hybrid-selling-record-pace-2092.html)

SVOboy 04-30-2008 11:40 PM

Camry hybrid selling at record pace

ABG!

Quote:

Toyota's Camry Hybrid is selling like crazy these days. Last year, Toyota managed to sell 54,477 Camry Hybrids, an impressive figure no doubt, and sales are showing no signs of slowing down. For example, in the month of March, Toyota set a new record for the hybrid version of the Camry by selling 6,930. For the year, it is on track to sell over 60,000 of its midsize hybrid sedan, a 10 percent increase over the previous year. In fact, the Camry Hybrid, which is EPA rated at 33 miles per gallon city and 34 miles per gallon highway, is easily outselling the 268 horsepower 3.5 liter V6 powered model, which is rated at 19 city and 28 highway. Historically, American buyers have shown a propensity to choose the largest engine available.

When sales of the Prius and the Camry Hybrid are combined, Toyota easily remains the world's leader in hybrid vehicle sales and appears a lock to remain that way, at least for the next few years.

Compaq888 05-01-2008 12:17 AM

why is the highway number so low??? it's a hybrid...should at least get 40mpg on the hwy

hvatum 05-01-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 22573)
why is the highway number so low??? it's a hybrid...should at least get 40mpg on the hwy

2.4 liter engine.

It's much more performance oriented than the prius.

MetroMPG 05-01-2008 11:45 AM

Also, you're used to seeing highway numbers much higher than the city numbers, Compaq, so the relative comparison may be misleading. Maybe a better question would be: why is the city number so high? :)

It's just a matter of time before a plug-in retrofit is available for this car. I'll consider that a significant milestone, because it will essentially be the first "mainstream" family sedan with a plug-in (low/medium speed) electric range in the NA market.

And an interesting comparison to the Canadian market: the Prius has never sold nearly as well here as in the US, but sales of the Camry hybrid here represent "almost 28%" of all Camry sales, a much higher proportion than the US market.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../01/c9342.html

Daox 05-01-2008 12:00 PM

I'm glad to see that they are selling as its a great mpg car for its size. However, when I went to the Milwaukee Auto Show over winter I got to see these two side by side. I gotta say, the Prius had just about every inch of interior space as the Camry, and just about as much cargo space. Now, of course this is all just eyeballing it. But, between the two I'd never take the Camry hybrid. I guess the main perk would be a faster car... woopie.

MetroMPG 05-01-2008 12:16 PM

I agree. I'd pick the Prius in a heartbeat based on those reasons, and because it's a more versatile cargo hauler (not to mention has much better fuel economy potential).

But my sis & bro-in-law bought their Camry hybrid over the Prius because it's got more airbags (and stability control?). Safety was their thing.

Lazarus 05-01-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 22657)

But my sis & bro-in-law bought their Camry hybrid over the Prius because it's got more airbags (and stability control?). Safety was their thing.

How about an update thread on that? I know at one point you were working with them on FE. Is that still a on going event or have they just gone back to driving it? Curious as to there before and after numbers.:)

MetroMPG 05-01-2008 12:57 PM

I'll be seeing them tonight - I'll get some info. But last my brother-in-law reported, it wasn't sounding pretty (bad winter, no block heater).

RH77 05-01-2008 01:29 PM

My cousin went from a V-8 Nissan Titan Crew Cab and previously a BMW X5 to a Camry Hybrid and she loves it. She had a say in the "family vehicle purchase" this time, and it's paying dividends. They live in the Bay Area, where we know traffic stinks.

I haven't heard numbers on it -- I'll have to write to check in :)

RH77

Who 05-01-2008 01:38 PM

One factor in the Canadian marketplace is that a Camry Hybrid and Prius are more or less identical in price - 29K base. The Prius has always been much much more expensive here and in fact has dropped a lot since last year with the exchange corrections that many auto mfrs were finally forced to take.

If I had to choose between them, it would be a very tough choice. The Camry actually fits my long legs far better up front despite the number saying otherwise and the back seat fits 3 far better and has better headroom. However, the Prius has way more utility than the Camry's puny 10 cf trunk and of course it gets significantly better mileage.

I would also think that a Camry would fare better in most types of crashes, but then again it's almost 380mm longer and 100mm wider.

Arminius 05-01-2008 03:56 PM

I'm glad that more efficient cars are taking the place of less efficient ones. I'll be even more happy when the used car market is saturated with very efficient cars. Right now, it's very very bad math to purchase a new hybrid rather than a used econobox.

Daox 05-01-2008 04:07 PM

Why do you say that?

Arminius 05-01-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 22711)
Why do you say that?

I assume someone would buy a hybrid for the efficiency. Most studies show that the added cost of the hybrid is payed for after about 8 years, if the hybrid is one that is covered by the Fed tax incentives (some no longer are). However, a lot of econoboxes sell for less than 7k once they are 4 or 5 years old. The difference is at least 15k, which buys a heck of a lot of gas.

NoCO2 05-01-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

In fact, the Camry Hybrid, which is EPA rated at 33 miles per gallon city and 34 miles per gallon highway...

hmmm....that's about what my 1996 2.2L camry can get...

Daox 05-01-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arminius (Post 22714)
I assume someone would buy a hybrid for the efficiency. Most studies show that the added cost of the hybrid is payed for after about 8 years, if the hybrid is one that is covered by the Fed tax incentives (some no longer are). However, a lot of econoboxes sell for less than 7k once they are 4 or 5 years old. The difference is at least 15k, which buys a heck of a lot of gas.

Your comparing a smaller used car to a larger brand new car. Thats not really a fair comparison. Also, with gas prices increasing you'll see faster payback times. The stats I've seen by Intellichoice show payback as being around 5 years. Of course this varies quite a bit depending on what companies have tax incentives left yet. Also, the payback times don't include any of the other benefits that are included by purchasing a hybrid such as emissions reduction.

Arminius 05-01-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 22732)
Your comparing a smaller used car to a larger brand new car.

Exactly. I'm making a financial comparison. Which is the best for the buyer.

Quote:

Also, with gas prices increasing you'll see faster payback times. The stats I've seen by Intellichoice show payback as being around 5 years. Of course this varies quite a bit depending on what companies have tax incentives left yet. Also, the payback times don't include any of the other benefits that are included by purchasing a hybrid such as emissions reduction.
I agree that higher gas prices will make the payback for the hybrid that much faster. But the comparison also applies to any new car made by the major auto makers, just with slightly smaller numbers.

As for other factors, the used car usually wins there, too.

Daox 05-01-2008 06:33 PM

I completely agree with you on the used car idea. Never bought a new car in my life and I honestly don't plan to anytime in the future.

However, if I had the extra money at the time of purchasing my Matrix, I'd have a Prius (used) in my driveway right now. My wife puts the miles on like candy and it would pay for itself in no time.

Arminius 05-01-2008 06:43 PM

Me too. It's going to be 10 years, at least, before the used car market is what I would like it to be, with no mammoth gas hogs.

Smoove 05-01-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 22728)
hmmm....that's about what my 1996 2.2L camry can get...

And what my wife's 97 v6 Camry gets*

*on the highway, when I drive

Compaq888 05-01-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvatum (Post 22577)
2.4 liter engine.

It's much more performance oriented than the prius.

it's still a 4 cylender...I had a 2.4 liter in my altima and with tire pressure and some aero mods i would be able to squeeze out 38-39mpg at 70+mph on the freeway...

Since the car has more "performance" they can lower the gearing of the OD or they can put a 6 speed automatic and make the 6th gear pretty low while still achieving great accelaration...

33mpg is great in the city but since the car has more power since it's a hybrid the gearing should be lower..

hvatum 05-02-2008 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 22816)
it's still a 4 cylender...I had a 2.4 liter in my altima and with tire pressure and some aero mods i would be able to squeeze out 38-39mpg at 70+mph on the freeway...

Since the car has more "performance" they can lower the gearing of the OD or they can put a 6 speed automatic and make the 6th gear pretty low while still achieving great accelaration...

33mpg is great in the city but since the car has more power since it's a hybrid the gearing should be lower..

Yeah, but all things being equal you can get better mileage with a smaller volume engine. You are totally right of course. I still am somewhat surprised that the mileage isn't a bit higher.

There are many other reasons for buying a new car, if you're earning $120,000 a year and have no free time then it probably makes economic sense to purchase a new car. You might actually end up losing money by purchasing a used car since you need to spend more time mucking about going to mechanics instead of just dropping it off at the dealer and getting a loaner car.

IndyIan 05-02-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvatum (Post 22852)
There are many other reasons for buying a new car, if you're earning $120,000 a year and have no free time then it probably makes economic sense to purchase a new car. You might actually end up losing money by purchasing a used car since you need to spend more time mucking about going to mechanics instead of just dropping it off at the dealer and getting a loaner car.

People always say this, that their spare time is worth what they make an hour at work. I doubt many people can actually decide on the weekend, instead of fixing their car, they are going to work and make their $X/hour...

I think of it as I spent 2 hours putting front brakes on my car, I saved $150 or made $75/hour which equals $132000/year!

Also, who loses time at work taking their car in? I know my boss wouldn't let me take the afternoon off to go watch someone do the brakes weither I was being paid or not...

I think that buying a new hybrid only makes sense economically and probably environmentally, if you are going to buy a new car regardless, then it might as well be a hybrid. As people have said their older Camry's get the same mileage, cost 1/3 or less and don't create all the pollution it takes to get that shiney hybrid on the dealers lot. In my head a $30,000 car took about $20,000 in fossil fuels to be made.

Of course the new hybrid Camry is safer but I often wonder if you could far exceed a new cars safety level by upgrading your old car, or who knows, maybe just wearing a bike helmet would statistically make you as safe in your old car as in a new one.

Ian

Compaq888 05-02-2008 11:15 AM

I really don't see the point in buying a new car because i don't have time to take my car to get fixed. I make time.

besides my crappy civic seats 5, 4 comfortably, has enough room for me to put a bike in there and have one of the rear seats up for a person to sit. And my last 2 tanks were 40mpg+...why do i need a hybrid?

Part of the people buying a new car is for us to impress the people that don't like us. My cousin bought a brand new TL 2 months ago. None of his friends cared. In fact the car drinks so much gas that his mom drives it to work 5 miles to her work and he only drives it on the weekend and he pays $60 for gas every week. well now $65 a week. How sad is that to be driving your mom's car to work because you can't afford to fill up your shiny new car..

Daox 05-02-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 22897)
besides my crappy civic seats 5, 4 comfortably, has enough room for me to put a bike in there and have one of the rear seats up for a person to sit. And my last 2 tanks were 40mpg+...why do i need a hybrid?

People driving the Civic Hybrids are getting 60+ mpg and some into the 70s. Plus, the environmental aspect that the Civic Hybrid is one of the the cleanest burning vehicles in the US currently ahead of the Prius.

trikkonceptz 05-02-2008 01:11 PM

On the topic of safety I think Greg House summed it up best in this weeks episode of House.

"If you want people to drive slower and safer then strap a machete where the air bag is, pointed right at their throat. I'm sure everyone would slow down and drive safer then."

Lazarus 05-02-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 22905)
People driving the Civic Hybrids are getting 60+ mpg and some into the 70s. Plus, the environmental aspect that the Civic Hybrid is one of the the cleanest burning vehicles in the US currently ahead of the Prius.

That's the thing there is more to the equations then just MPG.

Compaq888 05-02-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 22923)
That's the thing there is more to the equations then just MPG.

this guy hit the nail on the head.

I believe I shouldn't spend 20 grand on a new car that will get better mileage when my car that gets 40+... I would be losing more in the long run if I bought a brand new civic hybrid or camry. Now if I was driving some 10mpg truck and driving a lot of miles then that would make sense.

LostCause 05-03-2008 12:03 AM

In his book, R.Q. Riley makes a good point: people buy with their emotions and only use reason as a supporting argument.

People buy a Prius because it makes a statement about who they are, not because they primarily want save money or help the environment.

Ask the average Prius buyer why they bought their car, and their likely to support their choice with logic..."it gets 50mpg, access to the carpool lane, is environmentally friendly."

Deep down, the truth emerges: "I bought a Prius to buy the experience of owning a 'Prius.'"

- LostCause

brick 05-03-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

I agree. I'd pick the Prius in a heartbeat based on those reasons, and because it's a more versatile cargo hauler (not to mention has much better fuel economy potential).

It sounds like they were misinformed about the Prius. Mine (an '07) has front, front side airbags, and side curtains that cover both front and rear. Stability control came with Package 2 (what I have) and up. TCH is a nice car, though. I might have considered it if not for the FE hit and how much I hated not having a wagon-like car for the previous four years.

MetroMPG 05-03-2008 11:02 PM

Being misinformed is entirely possible. Do you know if they score equally in crash tests too?

I didn't get a chance to grill my bro-in-law about the car's mileage this week, but they're dropping in tomorrow, so I'll try to remember.

LostCause 05-05-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arminius (Post 23078)
I work 80+ hours a week 9 months out of the year, and about 50 the remaining 3.

Wow. If you don't mind me asking, why do you work so much and what is your motivation for doing so? I'd imagine the cost/benefit ratio starts to taper off at about $120,000. My immediate guess is that you are a business owner or self-employed, which should mean working is fun, right...:p

Knowing that you work 16+ hour days kind of puts your effort here on EM into perspective. I feel like acknowledging the time you spend here. :)

- LostCause

2012CamryHybrid 05-27-2012 06:32 PM

Safety is not to be overlooked in hybrid choice

Quote:

I just went through a horrific accident in a 1999 Honda Accord in April 2012. I was cut out by Smyrna GA fire and EMS and only woke up in the Kennestone GA Trauma Center. Though I was in a lot of pain with many injuries, I lived no thanks to Honda. The Accord steering wheel airbag failed to activate. the other airbags all went off. The Honda seat belt snapped my shoulder bone which meant I had to have an aluminum plate screwed into my shoulder to hold it together. I am still healing two months later.

We looked at many replacement cars and choices including the Prius.
My wife hated the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid due to poor engineering choices she quickly picked up on. Many of the 2012 cars have very bad blind spots for a short person due to the redesign now mandated for thicker pillars to protect occupants in a rollover accident.

Looking at the 2012 Prius gives one the impression you are giving up a lot of safety for a compact hyper mileage car. The Camry 2012 Hybrid doesn't give you that impression. It is heavier, quieter, has far more power, carries five in more comfort than the Prius while sacrificing just a little in EPA MPG.

To us it was a no brainer to select the safer car. There are now a boatload of new safety features in the high tech Camry Hybrid that didn't even exist in 1999. Since we went with a high end XLS we have most of the latest features.

We also went with the Blizzard White as it was mentioned as being a highly visible color which enhanced safety. I would have preferred Bright Orange or High Visibility Green but White will do since it rejects a lot of heat here in the South.

--

I was surprised to notice I do not have an electrical or temperature gauge in the Camry Hybrid.

I dropped by this site looking for information on the ScanGauge 2
and the desirability of mounting one above the Camry review mirror with a Blend Mount adapter. Has anyone else that is using this forum done that?

How well does the ScanGauge 2 work with the Camry 2012 Hybrid?

Would you buy one?

Thanks in advance for any observations.