EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Can Classic Cars be converted to EV-DC? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/can-classic-cars-converted-ev-dc-1124.html)

WaxyChicken 02-21-2008 01:40 AM

Can Classic Cars be converted to EV-DC?

I'm toying with the idea of rescuing a dead classic when i get my budget back for my EV project.

Something like a 57Chevy (chev stats) or a 70's Dodge Charger (charger stats)

Curb Weights:
57 Chevy: 3,159lbs
77 Charger: 3,895lbs

Can this be done or would they be too heavy despite the extra space?
And there would be A LOT of extra space.
(yes, it would still be aero-modded.)

metroschultz 02-21-2008 01:18 PM

sure----------
goto
ACPropulsion.com
drop $35,000
drive away.

Quote commercial "That was Easy"

Just pokin fun. but it can be done. it will get real expensive real quick.
Lotta weight to move.
S.

Ryland 02-21-2008 07:18 PM

It would appear that 1/3 to 1/2 of the weight of an electric car is battery weight, an example of this is my citicar, 1,200 pound car, of that 500 pounds is batteries, the electric ford ranger has a curb weight of 4,800 pounds with a 2,000 pound battery pack, so 2,800 pounds without batteries (less then the gas modle, no engine, exaust and so on), I could go on with other vehicle specs, but this appears to be standard, and the last price I got on lead acid batteries came close to $2 per pound, this is part of why a lighter weight car is ideal.

WaxyChicken 02-21-2008 07:24 PM

Oh well. it was worth a thought.
After all, an electric cherry '57 Chevy would be a sweet thing to brag about.

Ryland 02-21-2008 07:32 PM

It might be worth looking for reproduction kits for old cars, as they might have things like lighter weight frames, plastic or composit hoods and fenders, and of course you are leaving out a heavy cast iron engine, drive shaft, gas tank, exaust, you could maybe even replace things like the bumpers with alloy.

Frank Lee 02-21-2008 08:03 PM

There are enough repro parts now to create brand new '57s, Corvettes, Camaros, etc. without defiling any classics.

WaxyChicken 02-21-2008 08:10 PM

Yes, but reproduction kits would cost more than some of the old junkers i've seen.
Earlier i found a 64 Ford Mustang on blocks that was advertised for only $275. Some parts were missing, but nothing i wouldn't of yanked out anyway. All body panels were there, they just needed treatment. no rust on it, the rims looked pretty good, tires were shot, some glass was gone, wipers needed replacement, etc.... but i'd be willing to bet that the important parts for EV conversion would of been fine.

the cost of a kit car for that, plus the time to assemble it.... i'd much rather go with an original to mod.

(it looked alot like this but hard top and uglier: )
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...abrio_1966.JPG

WaxyChicken 02-21-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 10891)
There are enough repro parts now to create brand new '57s, Corvettes, Camaros, etc. without defiling any classics.

I'd think of it more as "Saving" them. there are a lot of classics in the area that are just sitting out in the dirt wasting away.

Thalass 02-22-2008 08:55 AM

There is an old Mustang around here that has been converted to electric. It doesn't have an EValbum entry, though, iirc.

It goes quite well. He's got good batteries in it (thundersky lithiums, I think) so it's got good range and more than enough performance to keep up with traffic.

basjoos 02-22-2008 07:32 PM

If you could find a Nash Airflyte or Metropolitan, you'd be starting off with a lightweight, fairly aerodynamic car. The Metropolitan weighs 1800lbs.

jjackstone 02-23-2008 01:50 PM

The battery weight problem can be solved with enough money. Lithium ions give the same amount of power for a third to half the weight. They also cost several times more than lead acid and they need a much more advanced charging and monitoring system. Check out the setup at Metric Mind.
http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/main2.htm
JJ

WaxyChicken 02-23-2008 02:02 PM

No, L-Ions would be too expensive for me.
But the Airflyte looks like something i can keep an eye out for.
Thanks Basjoos.

jjackstone 02-23-2008 05:58 PM

There is also the possibility of the new Firefly Group 31 batteries. Their specs say they are good for 700-800 recharges at 80-100% Depth of Discharge. Standard deep cycles are good for 200-300 charges at these dod's. Haven't seen a cost on these yet. I expected the weight to be less based on early information by Firefly but I see the batteries are weighing in at about 70 pounds each. Not too different than a standard deep cycle. Here's a link to the spec sheet.

http://www.fireflyenergy.com/images/...t%20012308.pdf

JJ

kustomev 05-12-2009 11:48 PM

old cars as ev's

Hi. I am just new to the forum. I am 4th generation in my family to fix up and modify old cars, and I too am working on building a big old EV. I have a freshly painted 60 fairlane 500 with no powertrain, that I felt would be a good canidate for this project. I have done a fair bit of research over the past year and have realized it is possible to move a car this big down the freeway. Expensive, but possible. just a few quick notes on what I plan to use for main components: 144v system, adc dc fb1-4001 motor, 5 speed trans from either s-10 or ranger, curtis 1231c-8601 motor controller, 24 6v deep cycle batteries. My estimated total weight is 4800 lbs. Heavy but it will be a educational experience if nothing else.

roflwaffle 05-13-2009 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxyChicken (Post 10879)
Oh well. it was worth a thought.
After all, an electric cherry '57 Chevy would be a sweet thing to brag about.

If it's a manual, or if it can be towed flat, just hybridize it like Coyote did. You will *need to fab a cross-member for the motor, shorten the drive shaft, and get the proper connectors so you can slip the motor on the trans tailshaft and into the driveshaft. A combination pack of high power and low cost LFPs could allow for decent power output along with decent range, or you can optimize for one or the other.

Cost, assuming DIY work for everything except the driveshaft, will probably be ~$5-6k, and get ~30-40 miles of all electric range plus ~30-50rwhp. It would only add ~250-350lbs depending on the setup. We could also fool around with the battery specs to get the same energy/range, less power, and more weight, in order to save a ~$1200 or so. I suppose lead acids would be o.k. to try everything out with, but in terms of cost per kWh stored, which plays a large part in how expensive an EV is, the cheap LFPs from China are hard to beat, provided they perform as per the manufacturer's specs.

*Or maybe even attach the motor to the crank somehow, although I'm not sure if the bearings are made for that much torque/power from the front of the engine.

Russ 05-13-2009 11:12 AM

I've been lurking here ever since coming across Ben's Metro thread 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I had been doing some research on this topic too. Seems like a great way to rescue a v6 sixties mustang convertible. I can see it now, where the 289 badge would normally go you get a little emblem that says "DCV". Plus you don't have to pay for or sacrifice an actual 289.

Most of the reading I've done was focused on early 50s pickups. Particularly a '51 Chevy as I found one in decent shape on the web. My thought was the truck suspension would be better suited to handling a battery box in the bed, and also that the wooden floor bed would provide easy access to the undercarriage if another battery box replaced the gas tank.

The truck is heavy of course but it has roll up windows and very few electrical accoutrement. I think they sell disc brake upgrades too. Maybe not that heavy once you pull the old drive train.

Tango Charlie 05-13-2009 11:51 AM

I've always thought a '49 Merc replica would make a sweet EV. With a tube chassis and a fiberglass body to keep the weight down. And calling it a 'lead sled' would have double meaning. ;)

Tony Raine 05-13-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 103938)
I've been lurking here ever since coming across Ben's Metro thread 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I had been doing some research on this topic too. Seems like a great way to rescue a v6 sixties mustang convertible. I can see it now, where the 289 badge would normally go you get a little emblem that says "DCV". Plus you don't have to pay for or sacrifice an actual 289.

Most of the reading I've done was focused on early 50s pickups. Particularly a '51 Chevy as I found one in decent shape on the web. My thought was the truck suspension would be better suited to handling a battery box in the bed, and also that the wooden floor bed would provide easy access to the undercarriage if another battery box replaced the gas tank.

The truck is heavy of course but it has roll up windows and very few electrical accoutrement. I think they sell disc brake upgrades too. Maybe not that heavy once you pull the old drive train.

i assume the "v6" is a typo, but i like the sound of your other ideas :thumbup:

i would love to see a "classic" EV. i would like to do an old ford falcon or falcon-ranchero. smaller, but classic.

i do think a type of on-board generator would be worth it, though

there are multiple places you can shed weight on old iron.

-removal of large iron block motor (ever picked up just the intake manifold from an old car/truck? damn heavy!)
-front fenders/hood trunk lid can be used as molds to make thinner fiberglass replacements. sell originals to re-coup costs
-same with bumpers. mold fiberglass over a lighter section of box steel (for some crash protection)
-replace back windows with lexan
-lighter seats

Russ 05-13-2009 02:15 PM

The 6 was indeed straight. Please excuse my oversight.
I'll sacrifice a Corvair to the pony car gods to make up for my blunder.
:)

-R (noob)

Tony Raine 05-13-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 103980)

-R (noob)

my I-6 pony car is waiting :D
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46...g/100_1092.jpg

Russ 05-13-2009 10:25 PM

Just off, the 1951 Chevy Pickup would have a curb weight of 3200lbs or so. I found several different numbers. Looks like some of the hot rodders have put aluminum beds on them for weight savings.

Also most of the older stuff will be rear wheel drive. That has to make things less complicated right? Maybe lets me put a little bit of battery weight on the front axle. An in-bed truck box for weather proof battery storage. It's an interesting idea.

More research clearly needed,

-R

Frank Lee 05-13-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 103980)

-R (noob)

HEY!!! You leave Corvairs out of it! :mad:

They aren't V6s anyway!

Russ 05-14-2009 09:20 AM

Goodness, this is my 4th post and I've already offended two people. That's a pretty bad average. Maybe I should go back to lurking! :D

Russ 05-17-2009 11:05 PM

That does bring to mind another question. Towing with an EV.

Now clearly electric motors can handle much higher weights/loads and voltages than they were designed for. A number of people have proven that. It's also obvious that towing is going to drastically affect range. Other parts of the equation match with gas-towing. Brake and tire wear in particular. Transmission if you have one.

I know electric "city trucks" have been around a while and can remember hearing about electric fleet vehicles in the 70s.

Plenty of torque available. What affect would towing have on an electric motor? Or an EV in total aside from the obvious range/brakes/tires/transmission bit?

-Russ