EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Can't find cloroplast! Where do you get it??? Or is there a better alternative? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cant-find-cloroplast-where-do-you-get-there-3148.html)

CorollaMaster 06-17-2008 06:31 PM

Can't find cloroplast! Where do you get it??? Or is there a better alternative?

I can't seem to find coroplast anywhere! I tried Lowes, Home Depot, and several local hardware stores. Most had never even heard of it! And the closest thing anyone had was some black plastic roll for going over the eve of a roof.

Where do you get coroplast?? Is there another alternative to using it? I'm going to be making wheel skirts and a belly pan.

Thanks for the help!

-CorollaMaster

getnpsi 06-17-2008 06:32 PM

political signs that have "fallen down."

SVOboy 06-17-2008 06:33 PM

Look up a sign shop in the phone book and give some companies a call.

jamesqf 06-17-2008 06:34 PM

Try a sign store. Or wait until after election day - there'll be tons of it discarded by all the losing candidates...

CorollaMaster 06-17-2008 06:34 PM

LOL!!! getnpsi that has to be the best suggestion I've heard yet!

getnpsi 06-17-2008 06:44 PM

You can probably go to the local candidate office and get them w/o crime. if you wanted to be active, you could say look this is for my gas mileage, I'm trying to be green etc. Maybe you'll get in the paper.

CorollaMaster 06-17-2008 06:45 PM

Another quick question while we're on the topic, is there any suggestion as far as what gauge coroplast i should look for?

COMP 06-17-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorollaMaster (Post 35743)
Another quick question while we're on the topic, is there any suggestion as far as what gauge coroplast i should look for?

good question :thumbup:

kevlar 06-17-2008 09:26 PM

although not as light as caroplst, I used some "FRP" panels which were pretty durable and light. That's the stuff you find behind urinals in bars and other places to wash the "public" off :). It's like fiberglass sheeting. I got it at Home depot for about 30 bucks a sheet.

Daox 06-17-2008 09:39 PM

4 mil is fairly common and probably best suited to our applications.

Xringer 06-18-2008 12:00 AM

You should be able to find it on-line.

http://www.beacongraphics.com/supplies/coroplast.html

88CRX 06-18-2008 12:15 AM

If its being used in the underbody, and color does not matter. You can get it free.

I got mine from Lowe's... I ask were i can buy material that this box is mad of. They didn't sell it, so They gave me some boxes.

to be exact it was in the home and garden section. I think it was the box for the Black ground covering. The stuff you put down so weeds don't grow.

They were big. but the cover was red, and the box it self had printing.

Cd 06-18-2008 12:57 AM

You can get loads of the stuff free from a recycling center ( or at least the ones around here ) ......and it's FREE !

88CRX : I work at Lowes and I shudder to think of someone having to actually buy this stuff. Besides, we only carry the small sheets at Lowes.

If you get the signs that are at the recycling centers, some of the sheets are large enough to cover the entire front end of your car.

Not only is getting your signage from a recycling center an Earth friendly way to Ecomod your car , it's ....FREEEE !

Did I mention it is FREE ??

Tango Charlie 06-18-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Cd (Post 35861)
You can get loads of the stuff free from a recycling center ( or at least the ones around here ) ......and it's FREE !
Not only is getting your signage from a recycling center an Earth friendly way to Ecomod your car , it's ....FREEEE !

Dang! Where's my phone book? Where's the closest recycling center? Front air dam, here I come!:D

88CRX 06-18-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Cd (Post 35861)

88CRX : I work at Lowes and I shudder to think of someone having to actually buy this stuff. Besides, we only carry the small sheets at Lowes.

If you get the signs that are at the recycling centers, some of the sheets are large enough to cover the entire front end of your car.

Yeah Recycle, it's the ECOmodder Way!!!

AXMonster 06-18-2008 12:37 PM

I had to BUY mine :(

Its not used as much over here in the UK, other than for small 'For Sale' signs outside houses.

modmonster 07-30-2008 04:41 PM

AX where did you buy the plastic? and how did you get it home? any continuous sheet big enough for the under belly of a car probably wouldn't fit in it. did you have to bend it? or was it already cut up into managable chunks? if so how did you join them together without having the joins mess up the aero?

gascort 07-30-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modmonster (Post 49280)
... if so how did you join them together without having the joins mess up the aero?

I know you're asking the other guy, but I used all 18" by 24" election signs on my car and joined them with heavy duty duct tape.

modmonster 07-31-2008 05:24 AM

whats the best fixing method for under the car? nylon cable ties and duct tape? i don't want this thing to come off when i am doing 70.

modmonster 07-31-2008 05:26 AM

is this corrugated plastic signs heat shrinkable? or am i confusing that with lexan?

what is lexan?

Xringer 07-31-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modmonster (Post 49501)
is this corrugated plastic signs heat shrinkable? or am i confusing that with lexan?

what is lexan?

If you are talking about Coroplas, it's not heat shrinkable. It's a bit less flexible than good corrugated cardboard. But, will last for years in the outdoors.

Lexan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lexan is a very hard plastic. Many times it's used to provide safety shields
on power tools and bank teller cages.

In thin sheets, it can be sawed up and used for all sorts of applications.
But, since it's glass-like, the thicker sheets (1/8 to 1/4 inch) might not
be best thing for under body shields. Put in a screw too tight and it will
crack like glass. A hard impact can break it like glass. Unless it's thick.
It has some flex, but not much. (unless it's thin).

A lot of people have been injured trying to break lexan windows,
while throwing big rocks (or shooting air rifles) at it, only to have
the projectile bounce right back at them.. :)

NismoMax80 08-01-2008 02:01 AM

i got an 8ft by 4ft for $15 from a local sign shop.

MazdaMatt 08-01-2008 08:37 AM

Hm... so maybe I shouldn't be using lexan to create a fastback on my Del Sol... I thought that it was made for safety windows and stuff, ie, does not shatter.

NismoMax80 08-01-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xringer (Post 49575)
If you are talking about Coroplas, it's not heat shrinkable. It's a bit less flexible than good corrugated cardboard. But, will last for years in the outdoors.

Lexan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lexan is a very hard plastic. Many times it's used to provide safety shields
on power tools and bank teller cages.

In thin sheets, it can be sawed up and used for all sorts of applications.
But, since it's glass-like, the thicker sheets (1/8 to 1/4 inch) might not
be best thing for under body shields
. Put in a screw too tight and it will
crack like glass. A hard impact can break it like glass. Unless it's thick.
It has some flex, but not much. (unless it's thin).

A lot of people have been injured trying to break lexan windows,
while throwing big rocks (or shooting air rifles) at it, only to have
the projectile bounce right back at them.. :)

um there are contradictions all over that statement. and this is why wikipedia is not a credible source. LEXAN is a company name. They make polycarbonate. other companies make it too, but it is commonly known as lexan.