EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Can't get impala to start (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cant-get-impala-start-16509.html)

Kodak 03-19-2011 06:09 PM

Can't get impala to start

I hope this is in the right section, and am sorry if this thread is misplaced. I'm a bit flustered right now.

My mom's 05 Impala SS (auto) won't start. Battery is fine (radio works). It just won't turn over.

Someone suggested that it could be some sort of computer security glitch.

I lack the knowledge to really even make a decent guess. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Even if I could just get it started makeshift for now, I could get her out of the parking lot that's she is currently stuck at.

Too bad it's not a manual, so popping the clutch is out of the question. Are there any tricks to get an auto to start?

Thanks for reading.

fjasper 03-19-2011 06:20 PM

Try wiggling the gearshift while you turn the key. Try it in Neutral as well as in Park.

Check, loosen, wiggle and re-tighten the battery cables. Or just bang on them if you don't have any tools. If you hit them too hard, they can break, so let your conscience be your guide.

Try turning on the headlights. If they're bright, try starting it again. If they're dim, might be a low battery. Batteries can do weird things as they die, including sometimes work better if they have a moderate drain applied before cranking the motor.

I don't know about the microchip key thing, maybe try a different key?

Bang on the starter with something in case it has a dead spot.

Good luck.

Kodak 03-19-2011 09:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions FJ. We tried, but ultimately needed a tow. My attempts to jump it failed, so I don't think it was a battery issue.

But there is a second problem now.

We left it in park with the e brake on since it was on a slight incline. The tow truck driver picked in up from the front end (FWD) and drove about 3 miles with the car left that way. A loud squeaking noise accompanied the trip, which topped out at speeds around 40mph or so.

Could this have caused any damage?

Thank you for reading.

FastPlastic 03-19-2011 10:03 PM

I'm not a mechanic but about all that would have done is burn though your brake pads. A good tow truck driver should have noticed that in the first few hundred feet.

Kodak 03-21-2011 07:13 PM

Battery was replaced and I drove it home today. Thanks for the help.

I have a follow-up question, but it's mostly unrelated so I'll post a new thread.

Ford Man 03-26-2011 06:27 PM

I'd suggest checking the rear brake shoes/pads for wear. Towing it this distance with the e-brake applied could have caused significant wear to them. If they are worn out because of this, I'd notify the towing company of the mistake the driver made.