EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Cap Ads (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cap-ads-2162.html)

trikkonceptz 05-04-2008 08:24 PM

Cap Ads
 
Hey guys, I have every intention of putting smooth caps on my vibe in order to reduce drag and such. However in my search for them I cam across this. www.capads.com.au

For 75 bucks its cheaper than buying a set of steelies and having someone swap and balance my wheels, plus I get to put a graphic on them. Can we say Ecomodders ... LOL

Just wanted some opinions before I buy into possible hype. Mind you I drive 110 miles a day on the hwy, and I need to consider simple aero mods to help maximize FE.

SVOboy 05-04-2008 08:27 PM

Man, that's so damn sweet. If you get a set and they work I will definitely get some ecomodder capads made, :p

trikkonceptz 05-04-2008 08:32 PM

I can picture a graphic with a piece of dry erase vinyl so we can continue to update our MPG over lifetime on them so the public can see how much money driving smart can save.

donee 05-04-2008 09:17 PM

Hi All,

Hmm, I can imagine the gap between the wheel and the stationary spinner getting full of snow or ice in the winter. Then the spinner will spin with the wheel. And the weight would then cause the tire to jump up and down at speed.

Probably OK for coastal CA, and the coastal parts of the Gulf states, though.

BamZipPow 05-05-2008 02:49 AM

I don't think yer gonna be going that fast in snow/ice to make that much of a difference to leave those on during the winter...at least I hope you don't. ;)

It is an interesting concept though. It would seem that the ad is made of coroplast? I would like to see if they've tested it fer FE considerations... :D

Harpo 05-05-2008 06:17 AM

So very cool
 
I was leaning toward trying some pizza pans. I wanted to have a friend paint them up so at different speeds they were a different color. He's an artist and make some crazy disappearing art stuff. I fiqured with the right blend of RPMs and pattern you could get some cool effects.

Might be simplier to just get these in a ride matching color (silver for me) and have a cool Ecomodder Decal!

trikkonceptz 05-05-2008 11:11 AM

Does anyone have the numbers that state the savings benefits of using flat dish rims as opposed to what the car normally brings?

aerohead 05-05-2008 04:58 PM

Cap ads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz (Post 23393)
Hey guys, I have every intention of putting smooth caps on my vibe in order to reduce drag and such. However in my search for them I cam across this. www.capads.com.au

For 75 bucks its cheaper than buying a set of steelies and having someone swap and balance my wheels, plus I get to put a graphic on them. Can we say Ecomodders ... LOL

Just wanted some opinions before I buy into possible hype. Mind you I drive 110 miles a day on the hwy, and I need to consider simple aero mods to help maximize FE.

Seems like for the caps to operate,they would have to be mounted via a bearing set, to an inner ring,then weighted like a pendulum,so as to always maintain a level orientation.You would be adding the mass of the unit,plus the additional rolling-resistance of four more wheel bearings.Sorry! I give it a thumbs down.

trikkonceptz 05-05-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 23554)
Seems like for the caps to operate,they would have to be mounted via a bearing set, to an inner ring,then weighted like a pendulum,so as to always maintain a level orientation.You would be adding the mass of the unit,plus the additional rolling-resistance of four more wheel bearings.Sorry! I give it a thumbs down.

True the website shows a picture of what the counterbalance weight looks like. Thanks for the comment.

Does anyone know or have proof on how flat caps are a benefit to FE instead of factory alloy wheels? This all @ hwy speeds, which is what I drive and related to Florida weather, which if it snows here we have bigger problems .. LOL

donee 05-05-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamZipPow (Post 23469)
I don't think yer gonna be going that fast in snow/ice to make that much of a difference to leave those on during the winter...at least I hope you don't. ;)

It is an interesting concept though. It would seem that the ad is made of coroplast? I would like to see if they've tested it fer FE considerations... :D

Hi Bam...,

Well, believe it or not, they invented these things called Plows. They clear the road, and lay down salt behind them. So, yea, People do drive at 70 mph after snow storms, before the ice drops off their cars.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com