EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Car doesn't bump start correctly? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/car-doesnt-bump-start-correctly-10459.html)

HilseeJ 10-03-2009 08:22 PM

Car doesn't bump start correctly?

I got a new car recently - a 1997 toyota celica.

After clutch starting, the car runs rough.

Normally, the car idles at around .24-.30 GPH. After clutch starting, the car drops to ~450 RPM and idles at .15-.17 GPH. It also runs noticeably rougher - the car starts vibrating. I got these numbers from my Scangauge that I have.

The car I had before this one was a 1999 Chevrolet Prizm. I noticed that the prizm didn't clutch start as smooth, but didn't have problems coming back up to regular RPM's right after.

What should I do about this? Should I continue to pulse and glide or should I stop until I figure out what the issue is?

RobertSmalls 10-03-2009 10:13 PM

Does the same thing happen if you use the electric starter to re-start the engine?

My Subaru's ECU is much better-behaved now that I've installed an engine kill switch instead of cycling the ignition. It idles very high for the first few minutes after you turn the key to ON. Maybe Toyota's ECU is doing something stupid, too. Try killing the engine by pulling a fuse, then push-starting, and see if it misbehaves then, too. If not, build a kill switch.

But yeah, low idle could be injurious to your engine.

Christ 10-04-2009 01:25 AM

My Father's S-10 won't clutch start, for some reason. The PassLock II security system kicks on, and it won't start until you turn the damn key to the start position.

I don't know if you're having a similar problem, but it's not as uncommon as you'd think.

HilseeJ 10-04-2009 03:21 AM

What methods should I use to kill the engine without turning the key in order to try Robert Small's suggestion?

RobertSmalls 10-04-2009 07:56 AM

Look in the owner's manual for fuses for the ignition and fuel delivery system. Park the car on Clutch Start Hill with the engine running. Pull a fuse. If the engine dies but the ECU keeps running, you've got the right fuse. Put it back in, release the handbrake, and away you go.

HilseeJ 10-04-2009 02:50 PM

"If the car dies but the ecu is still running"

How am I supposed to tell if this occurs?

dwtaylorpdx 10-04-2009 04:16 PM

A lot of newer engine control systems will treat loss of rpm as a critical fault.
As well as the loss of oil pressure and loss of power steering pressure.

You may be fighting all the safety stuff that allows these 100K mile warranties to exist...

Dave

RobertSmalls 10-04-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HilseeJ (Post 131625)
"If the car dies but the ecu is still running"

How am I supposed to tell if this occurs?

Just don't pull the ECU's fuse. ;-)

Clev 10-05-2009 01:26 AM

My '90 Accord bump starts without a problem, but the '04 Saturn is more finicky--I have to have some significant RPMs going. I can't just bump it in first while going 2 mph or it'll give me a Check Engine warning and sometimes run roughly.