Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dad's Jetta - '05 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5l package one
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Black Cherry - '01 Honda VFR800fi
Last 3: 39.39 mpg (US)
Temperature Control (Honda VFR oil not getting up to temp in cold weather)

Well this thread -http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...hot-28081.html - got me thinking.
So speaking of managing temperatures, I'm looking into an oil to water cooler, to replace the oem oil cooler on the VFR. The cooler works well in the summer, but it works too well in winter.
Just this Novemberl I was riding to classes on the weekend in cold (28F) weather. The water temp was 150-160F at 65mph, but the real kicker was the tuner logged an oil temp of only 120-125F. Usually its over 220, more than enough to boil out any condensation in the oil and be working at the proper viscosity.
After class the temp had dropped to 26F, so I figured I needed to get the temps back up. I wrapped it with aluminum foil I bummed from the campus snack bar and rode home. I got the oil temps up to about 170, but the coolant stayed right between 150-160. It was obvious that unless the oil gets into its normal operating range, the coolant will never get up to operating temperatures.
I'm thinking that if I change from the oil/air cooler to an oil/water heat exchanger, I have more control of the temps. Particularly in the cold weather, and I'll be able to put in a fresh air duct to the airbox.

Black Cherry (no epa ratings)

Dad's Taxi

The Lead Sled (EV conversion coming soon)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread