Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Ford "wants to save you money."

Ford may reintroduce actual base models, without all of the features bundled into modern cars. Apparently the CEO says that people are tired of paying for things they never use, like CD players and garage door openers. What the author and readers say will happen is each dealership will advertise it, but you won't be able to find one, you will need to pay extra for basic features, and there will always be the people insisting that they need frills like bluetooth and parking assistance: https://jalopnik.com/ford-ceos-visio...gly-1840328478

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dimples - '07 Ford Ranger Sport
90 day: 18.28 mpg (US)
That would be nice. As much as I love my Fusion Energi, there is a TON of things I dont use on it, or would be happy if it was less. For example:

Radar cruise control
Blind spot monitoring
Puddle lamps
8" screen for infotainment. (A volume control, seek and scan with a small display would be fine)
Automatic dimming rear view and drivers side mirror.
Child minder (Rear seat monitoring system, so I guess you dont forget your kids.)
The app.
4g LTE connectivity.
4 USB Plugs.. (Seriously. 1-2 is fine)
5 Microphones in the headliner, plus the additional one for bluetooth.
Lane assist
Automatic dual zone climate control. Single manual control is ok, yanno.
Blind spot monitoring
Remote start
8 way power driver and passengers seat.

Basically my Ideal fusion would have been:

Hybrid PHEV System.
Power windows/locks/mirrors
Am/FM Radio with an Aux input.
Heated front seats

Thats about it.

The OLD way ford is doing it now, Ford Fusion SE Costs $27,985, and the hybrid was $36,220. Ten grand more for a hybrid? And if you want the PHEV, youre into the SEL Energi at a cost of $38,790. Just going from Gas to a hybrid used to carry a cost of almost 10 grand, because youre going up trim levels to get it.

They have for 2020 released a Fusion Hybrid SE at a more reasonable $31,375. A difference of only $3,390. Could I save that much gas over the lifespan of the car? Totally.

To Compare: A base model Corolla LE is listed for $21,790. Its Hybrid counter part the Corolla Hybrid, is $24,790. So a difference of $4k. This seems reasonable to me because your adding in the hybrid bits. Same car, similar option package, just with the hybrid "stuck" on. Can I make up for the $5k savings in gas over the vehicles life? Probably.

That makes the cost difference between the Corolla LE and the Corolla Hybrid an easier pill to swallow.

Perhaps a better example would be when I bought my ranger. I wanted a base model extended cab, 2wd, with a locking rear differential. The only way I could get that locking rear differential was to go up to the FX4 Level II package, which would have added tend grand because it added in the automatic, the bigger 4.0 V6, six disc changer and air conditioning. All I wanted was a $500 locking differential.

Another good example was when I bought my Micra. I wanted a base model with automatic so my wife could drive it. Thats it. Thats the option I wanted. But in order to get the auto, you had to get air conditioning. I didn't want air. Too bad, you're getting it. It was a 3 grand package. But I made note.. Base micras cost $10,598, but if you fully spec them out- $19,989.. That is over $9,000 in options. The power train doesn't change. The mechanics of the car doesn't either. Its literally bling you can toss into the cabin.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I've never understood why anyone buys a car off a dealer lot. What are the chances that the car on the lot is exactly the way you wanted it? If you complain that the car is not the color you wanted, or it has cloth seats and you wanted leather, the dealer will tell you it's no problem to get it painted or swap the seats out with leather for an extraordinary price. My guess is 98% of people get suckered into driving off the lot with a car that isn't exactly the way they would have wanted it, even though every manufacturer has "build your vehicle" options online.

Isn't the whole point of buying new to get exactly what you wanted?

All that said, À la carte is precisely how almost every vehicle should be offered. Why should we buy what happens to be on some slimeball's lot when the exact vehicle you want is technically possible to build?

Why does adding heated steering mean I have to also add the "driver's confidence package II", and "chrome accented door handles", and "19" alloy wheels"?

Some manufacturer will unlock the À la carte option, and every other manufacturer will have to adopt it or die.

As an aside rant; my least favorite option is electric seats with no memory function. Why would I want to pay more for seats that slow as molasses to adjust and failure prone? The best thing about manual seats is a full recline can be achieved in less than 1 second. The absolute only reason for electric seats to exist at all is the memory function. Having the car adjust automatically to the driver is a great idea.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Anything the dealer says is a calculated lie and or trap.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
Back in the 60s my parents would order a new car for my mother every 3 years. It took about 60 days to order and build the car and we would fly from LA to Detroit to pick it up and take the factory tour. This way we could start a week long vacation to parts of the East coast and the car had a nice easy break in run by the time we got home. They got the color and the options they wanted without having to take one from dealer stock and they were nice cars. When my sister and I were little they bought a two door and as we grew up the next one was a four door.
The Following User Says Thank You to me and my metro For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (12-11-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Some manufacturer will unlock the À la carte option, and every other manufacturer will have to adopt it or die.

I think this is pretty much how the high end companies work, isn't it?

I've read a few articles about Porsche that imply you can get pretty crazy with customization from the factory.

Hasn't trickled down.

---

I've also read that minimizing the number available options reduces production costs, if you just produce, say, 3 versions of the vehicle instead of letting people order whatever they want.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread