Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2020, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A Non scientific everyday Aero Observation

So I got over 3+million miles on the road over the decades, that means I have sat on the side of the road, or stopped in a turning lane while nearby traffic whizzed by often. This observation I have encountered thousands of times, but today I first organized my question on that observation.

So when sitting still in your vehicle, say in a left hand turning lane waiting for the arrow to turn, everybody I am sure has felt the aero wake energy as cars pass you at normal traffic speed on the right. Today, traffic was plentiful, and I was puzzled as to the extreme (IMO) variation in that aero shock effect as they passed. I had no way or real interest in making any measurements, but there was no obvious reason I could by eye, observe why there was such a variation in their wakes. I'm accounting for speed, distance from my vehicle, size of passing car, shape of passing car, following distance between passing cars, any noticeable variation of ambient crosswinds. The differences were significant, and not intuitive, like a small aero SUV had a bigger "wake" then a full size PU. Of course there could be small variations with ideal combinations that might explain, unknown to me, my observation. I also do not believe in "magic", so something is the basis for this. And I am thinking the observed "wakes" have some relation to the cars aero efficiency, since it is wasted energy(?), but then I wonder if what I am feeling as a shock wake, is really just a positive pressure quickly followed by a negative pressure, from an efficient low drag car design.

Sorry for my babbling, but not sure I have ever read any comments on this subject.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-24-2020), Fat Charlie (06-26-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2020, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
I don't have any answers, but to add to your observations. When on my motorcycle if you don't expect it semis can push me away from the wake (when traveling in opposite directions). I feel PU's and SUV's usually driving by. I don't ever remember feeling it from a car.

I have felt the same in my car as well. I can't say I've ever noticed it when I'm the one moving (equal and opposite reactions?). Even when I drive my van.
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA
The Following User Says Thank You to M_a_t_t For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
bow and stern waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
So I got over 3+million miles on the road over the decades, that means I have sat on the side of the road, or stopped in a turning lane while nearby traffic whizzed by often. This observation I have encountered thousands of times, but today I first organized my question on that observation.

So when sitting still in your vehicle, say in a left hand turning lane waiting for the arrow to turn, everybody I am sure has felt the aero wake energy as cars pass you at normal traffic speed on the right. Today, traffic was plentiful, and I was puzzled as to the extreme (IMO) variation in that aero shock effect as they passed. I had no way or real interest in making any measurements, but there was no obvious reason I could by eye, observe why there was such a variation in their wakes. I'm accounting for speed, distance from my vehicle, size of passing car, shape of passing car, following distance between passing cars, any noticeable variation of ambient crosswinds. The differences were significant, and not intuitive, like a small aero SUV had a bigger "wake" then a full size PU. Of course there could be small variations with ideal combinations that might explain, unknown to me, my observation. I also do not believe in "magic", so something is the basis for this. And I am thinking the observed "wakes" have some relation to the cars aero efficiency, since it is wasted energy(?), but then I wonder if what I am feeling as a shock wake, is really just a positive pressure quickly followed by a negative pressure, from an efficient low drag car design.

Sorry for my babbling, but not sure I have ever read any comments on this subject.
This phenomena is experienced especially in closed test section wind tunnels.
Really 'dirty' shapes can actually cause flow separation on the walls and ceiling of the wind tunnel, whereas, really 'clean', low-drag vehicles create no appreciable effect at these boundaries.
At Monaco, during Formula-1 Grand Prix racing, these Cd 1.0+ race cars demonstrate flow field perturbation 30-feet away, top and sides.
A Volkswagen XL1 wouldn't really register. Nor the 1993, 183-mph, GM EV1/ Impact BEV land speed record car.

Last edited by aerohead; 06-24-2020 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typing correct
Old 06-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
It may be possible a pickup feels like less wake in passing because it's like 2 wakes separated by 5-8 feet. Where the small SUV has just one wake concentrated behind it. Overall better but a sharp shove vs a long push.

Also on something really long like a semi with trailer, you feel that push from the cab but actually doesn't much of that air settle down and reattach along the trailer? So it's just the 2nd suck back that's the real drag.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (06-26-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
One could strap an anemometer to a roadside post and point a camera so it captures the display and each passing vehicle.

Automating the video analysis is above my pay grade.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-26-2020), bobo333 (07-09-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Yeah, one positive thing you can say about pickups is that they're less far away from the template than SUVs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 06-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting replies, but has/will/does anybody had this experience of passing vehicle wakes that they remember and can share/verify my shared observation?

Seems like if trying to measure, the observer's car might also play a role, and since it is so quick of an impulse, it would best be recorded for later review, and with a device with a rather quick response and no/little overshoot qualities.

Last edited by j-c-c; 06-27-2020 at 07:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-06-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So I just stumbled on this maybe related learned source, page 99, anybody read it? Bus passing a parked car aero effects.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ers-38382.html
Old 06-27-2020, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
I bought it; I'll let you know in 4-8 weeks when it gets here.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks, the suspense is killing me.

Reply  Post New Thread