Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

How Do I check the timing belt alignment

Okay, I was successful in replacing my entire exhaust system, starting from the manifold to the muffler. Thanks to all who were willing to contribute to my success. Now on to the next task.

Recently, I had set the ignition timing on my 94 Honda Civic and shortly after lining the red timing mark to the the indicator on the timing cover, I'd noticed that the idle speed runs higher than spec (i.e. 900 rpm) while sitting at an intersection

Prior to making any adjustments, the ignition timing was way off; but the car idled at a lower RPM (i.e. around 650-750 RPM) before the adjustment. What I have noticed from the receipts that were given to my by the previous owner, both the timing belt & water pump were replaced less than 4yrs. ago. Could there be a relationship to the problem?

With that in mind, it's been suggested that I check the timing belt alignment; but I can't seem to find any resources or examples of how to do that. In short, what are the steps in checking the timing belt alignment and ideally, where can I find a video?

Thank You.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2014, 05:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
You can check the timing with a timing light that most auto part stores will rent or loan you, but as far as checking to see the cam/crank alignment, that's more complicated and you'll definitely want to watch the video if you've never tore one apart before

Here's a diagram: http://www.fixya.com/cars/t8687507-n...94_honda_civic

Here's a (generic) video:

Last edited by cowmeat; 07-17-2014 at 05:13 AM..
Old 07-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
You can check the timing with a timing light that most auto part stores will rent or loan you, but as far as checking to see the cam/crank alignment, that's more complicated and you'll definitely want to watch the video if you've never tore one apart before

Here's a diagram: I NEED THE TIMING MARKS FOR A 1994 HONDA CIVIC. - Fixya

Here's a (generic) video:
If you meant using the timing light to check the ignition timing off of the distributor, it's safe to say that I've done that part already.

However, I do have another question regarding this topic. What does it mean when other people say that the timing belt is a (tooth off)?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
The timing belt is Rubber, it can stretch over time, and cause your timing to be off a little bit, often a half or full tooth off from the harmonic balancer to the cam gear.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Timing belt being a tooth off, is what you're looking for when checking cam timing / timing belt. I don't know about a specific video, but you are going to have to disassemble to the point where you can see the crank gear, and the cam gear(s). If the timing marks aren't obviously lined up, I would want a manual to make sure I was looking at the correct timing marks
Old 07-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
That's why I sent you the pic and the video. The timing belt wouldn't be the issue, it's the cam or crank jumping a notch, or were off a notch when (I assume some git er done) replaced it
The pic shows the timing marks (but like 2000mc said, make sure it's the right one)
The video would show you the steps to remove the covers you'll need to get to to be able to see the crankshaft timing mark and the cam timing mark
Once you re-align the cam and crank you'll have to use the timing light again to make sure it's at the correct degrees before TDC
Get the manual, but in my honest opinion, with the quesions you're asking, I'd get somebody that has done it before to help you, or get a shop to do it.
If you have an interference motor you can kill it if you don't have the timing right and try to fire it up . . . . .one revolution and you can bend all the valves. I don't know if those motors are interference, but I wouldn't chance it

Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Cowmeat is correct, and this IS an interference motor. I thought I expunged how to check mechanical time to the OP in a A similar post already. I'm sure Eric the car guy has a video on it as well.

expunged! HA! damn auto - correct, it's EXPLAINED!!!

Last edited by vrmouseyd15b; 07-17-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
Cowmeat is correct, and this IS an interference motor. I thought I expunged how to check mechanical time to the OP in a A similar post already. I'm sure Eric the car guy has a video on it as well.
I have watch both videos; but there's no reference or mention to the criteria for knowing when the timing belt is actually aligned. Or respectfully, at least not stated directly.

So it may be better to ask, how do I know when the timing belt is misaligned? What are the characteristics that I'm looking for to make that determination?

Last edited by Davo53209@yahoo.com; 07-17-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
In post #2 cowmeat links to a diagram, then a video
The video shows disassembly, what you need to do to see the markings, but not the marks. the diagram shows the markings. In the video the guy pays little attention to the timing, seeming to rely heavily on hoping nothing moves while he has the belt off
Old 07-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
In post #2 cowmeat links to a diagram, then a video
The video shows disassembly, what you need to do to see the markings, but not the marks. the diagram shows the markings. In the video the guy pays little attention to the timing, seeming to rely heavily on hoping nothing moves while he has the belt off
Now that you mention it, I did notice that fact. He does pay little attention to the timing and that would happen to be where question is rather specific.

Reply  Post New Thread