EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Chance to replace my Civic EX with a Civic HX (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/chance-replace-my-civic-ex-civic-hx-8233.html)

ZachUA 05-05-2009 02:07 PM

Chance to replace my Civic EX with a Civic HX

So I'm wondering if it's worth it. I have a '98 Civic EX with around 180k miles on the clock. It's mechanically sound but has a few scratches and small door dings here and there. I average about 37mpg without trying to hypermile. It will do mid 40's only employing EOC on downhill sections and keeping the speed around 65-70 on the interstate. If I stay around 55 or 60 it will do right at 40mpg without employing any other technique.

With that said I found a Civic HX that's a couple years older than my EX but has about 40k less miles. I believe the HX will average about 41 or 42mpg without trying to hypermile, and high 40's close to 50 while doing minimal hypermiling.

My car is worth around 3000-3500, and the HX is booking at anywhere from 2200-2900. My only problem with the HX I'm looking at is it has hail damage on the hood and roof.

My thinking is if I could pick it up for 2k bucks and sell my car for at least 3k, then it would be worth it. However if he wants close to 3 (which is around what he's asking) I'd have to pass. I'm hung up on the hail damage, though, and I know I'd have to get it fixed eventually, which could cost 1k (no idea here), and then it'd be a wash. I'd end up with a 2 year older car, but with less miles, and better mpg.

Is it worth the hassle for the extra 5mpg average?

SVOboy 05-05-2009 02:27 PM

Much more than 5mpg is to be had between the EX and HX :)

I would go for it.

Daox 05-05-2009 03:49 PM

Ditto. Hx is a very good car, and driving it is easy.

PaleMelanesian 05-05-2009 05:02 PM

Hail damage? I'd be all over that! Much better that than any kind of mechanical damage. You get a step up on mpg, and a step down on vehicle mileage. bonus bonus

jesse.rizzo 05-05-2009 05:21 PM

You could try the dry ice trick on the hail damage. That's where you heat the dent and then put dry ice on it. Supposedly the sudden cold causes the metal to contract and pops out the dent. A internet search provides about as many people claiming this works as people claiming it will ruin your paint job.

Wonderboy 05-05-2009 06:24 PM

I kind of want to lose the EX too. What a bummer of a Honda. I'd take it and run.

ZachUA 05-05-2009 06:36 PM

Yeah, I thought about trying to get some of the dents out myself. The paint is already faded and a little scratched up so no harm in trying the dry ice.

wonderboy what do you mean bummer of a honda? I like my ex.

Wonderboy 05-05-2009 06:56 PM

I like mine alright too, but the EX has the worst attributes for FE out of all 6th gen civics:

-worst gear ratios (most torque-y mid range)
-VTEC engine (more torque plz?)
-heaviest curb weight

Keep in mind that the first two are features the tuners and ricers are looking for. I never take advantage of any of these features as a hypermiler. Not the worst car by any means, but if you have an opportunity like that, by all means TAKE IT!

- Will

ZachUA 05-05-2009 07:14 PM

well I'm not sure how much he'll take for teh car. He's asking right at 3k for it. I don't know what I can get for my car either...it books for anywhere from 3-3500.

book value, (according to kelly blue book which some people consider a bit high), for the hx is 2200 in fair condition, 2600 in good condition, and 2900 in excellent. He is asking for excellent condition price, but IMO it's mechanically in good condition and cosmetically in fair condition. NADA lists it as being worth less than KBB did. I have cash in hand ready to buy.

SVOboy 05-05-2009 09:10 PM

Just give him the blue book offer and tell him that's what you go buy and see if he bites. Might as well try it while gas is cheap and they're not selling like hot potatoes.:)