EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   cheap areo fix! (wash & wax your car) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/cheap-areo-fix-wash-wax-your-car-3252.html)

alcivic 06-22-2008 12:30 AM

cheap areo fix! (wash & wax your car)

one way to increase mpg is to wash your car and wax it. this will reduce air resistance thus increase mpgs!!!

SVOboy 06-22-2008 12:35 AM

Got any data to back that up?

Cd 06-22-2008 12:45 AM

Actually, I have read that several times before too.

BUT ...this comes from sources that apparently do not research the concept.

Sorry to tell you ... but it's myth.

I haven't seen you post before. Welcome to the forums !

malibuguy 06-22-2008 12:30 PM

HotRod magazine did a thing on aerodynamics at a windtunnel location, & the 'expert' that runs the windtunnel says a dirty car has the same drag as a clean car, it makes no difference

it doesn't say it here, this is the article, but the online articles tend to leave out stuff thats in the magazine

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/b...ips/index.html

ttoyoda 06-22-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

one way to increase mpg is to wash your car and wax it. this will reduce air resistance thus increase mpgs!!!
It is true for a lear jet. A car does not go fast enough to make a difference.
The boundary layer on a car is thicker than the roughness of the dirt film.

cfg83 06-22-2008 01:09 PM

alcivic -

I have head that this is true for airlines because they are able to save fuel doing this. I don't think it translates to cars because they don't travel fast enough. Didn't UPS have an ad where they were washing their big brown jets a long time ago?

Here is the only tangential example I could find :

Clean Drives Airline Fuel Efficiency - June 10, 2008
http://greentechnolog.com/2008/06/cl...fficiency.html
Quote:

... "American and Southwest are washing a handful of jet engines each night, a process that used to happen only during thorough maintenance overhauls. Southwest figures it has already saved $1.6 million in fuel costs since April by reducing the drag caused by dirt and debris. " ...
CarloSW2

metroschultz 06-22-2008 01:33 PM

I always believed the opposite.
A dirty car,(not filthy and covered in droppings) would get slightly better CdA.
Similar to the way dimples on a golf ball work.
Now somebody (not me, too lazy) is gonna hafta research.
Schultz.

wagonman76 06-22-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metroschultz (Post 37230)
I always believed the opposite.
A dirty car,(not filthy and covered in droppings) would get slightly better CdA.
Similar to the way dimples on a golf ball work.
Now somebody (not me, too lazy) is gonna hafta research.
Schultz.

Well I think Im just going just to leave well enough alone with my hood thats been rough and sun faded since I bought the car 5 years ago. :)

ttoyoda 06-22-2008 02:27 PM

Speed of a golf ball:
Quote:

Before I began the optimization process, I hit more than 100 balls on the range to get loose. At the launch monitor I started with my 7-degree Ping driver. The computer showed my ball speed was 150 miles per hour, my launch angle 14 degrees and my spin rate 4,400 revolutions per minute.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_101967391
Faster than my driving. Tiger Woods gets up to 180 - 200.

Cd 06-22-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malibuguy (Post 37215)
HotRod magazine did a thing on aerodynamics at a windtunnel location, & the 'expert' that runs the windtunnel says a dirty car has the same drag as a clean car, it makes no difference

it doesn't say it here, this is the article, but the online articles tend to leave out stuff thats in the magazine

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/b...ips/index.html

That's the source that I was going to use.

Also, windshield angle steeper than 45 degrees is just for 'looks' It does nothing to improve the cars drag - ( that one really took me by surprise! )

ebacherville 06-23-2008 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Cd (Post 37338)
Also, windshield angle steeper than 45 degrees is just for 'looks' It does nothing to improve the cars drag - ( that one really took me by surprise! )

Really .. wow!.. so my rear hood lift is doing nothiing besides getting the wiper out of the air flow...

I though Basjoos said his test greenhouse wind sheild canopy thing, increased his FE?

ttoyoda 06-23-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Really .. wow!.. so my rear hood lift is doing nothiing besides getting the wiper out of the air flow...
Don't believe everthing you read in Hotrod magazine...:rolleyes:

basjoos 06-23-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacherville (Post 37425)
I though Basjoos said his test greenhouse wind sheild canopy thing, increased his FE?

The main FE benefit of the "test greenhouse wind shield canopy thing" resulted from its rounded "A" pillars that eliminated the vortex produced by the sharp corners of the stock "A" pillars, and also since it eliminated the high pressure zone at the base of the windshield. There's nothing wrong with the angle of my stock windshield, it is just in how it was integrated into the rest of the car with its sharp "A" pillar corners and the change in angle where the hood and windshield joined. Ideally the hood and windshield should be integrated into a single curved shape with rounded corners at the "A" pillar locations.

mar5ka 06-23-2008 06:17 PM

a pillar

Thats great always wonder why Saab had the rap-around windshield with the a pillar on the side, good thinking on there part I just wish they got the back right, its like 30 degress

joesgot4 06-23-2008 06:31 PM

i always thought that the closer to flat the windshield is the less drag it would have! you've seen those solar cars that race across the country there pratically flat!

cfg83 06-23-2008 07:07 PM

joesgot4 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesgot4 (Post 37571)
i always thought that the closer to flat the windshield is the less drag it would have! you've seen those solar cars that race across the country there pratically flat!

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they are compromising between a teardrop shape and solar panel access?

The Prius hood and windshield are almost a continuous line.

CarloSW2

cfg83 07-04-2008 03:08 AM

Hello -

As I was getting popcorn, my wife saw a "wash and wax your car for better MPG" add/trailer in the movie theatre.

I wonder if the local car washes ponied up for the ad?

CarloSW2

Stanger98 07-04-2008 03:44 AM

wax doesn't help out the cars fuel efficiency nearly as much as clay-barring the car.

Using claybar, smooths out every little groove, removes dirt that can't be seen by the naked eye. It makes the body panels of the car perfectly smooth which increases fuel mileage a bit more than just wax. If you use both, they will definitely increase fuel mileage much more.

Cd 07-04-2008 10:38 AM

The fellow that was in the Hot Rod magazine article that I refered to earlier is the head of the A2 windtunnel A2WT HomePage
He helped design the EV1.
He stated that it didn't matter if your car had the "worst rattle-can paint job". Your .Cd would remain unchanged.

garys_1k 07-04-2008 08:59 PM

I agree, a dirty car won't use ANY more fuel than a clean one. Hmm, I wonder if taking a ball-peen hammer to a car, to dimple it like a golf ball, would improve it. :D

meemooer 07-04-2008 09:07 PM

washing it helps if it's caked in mud like mine was this week. My gas mileage shows this last tank it was down lower then my average