EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Chevrolet Spark (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/chevrolet-spark-30880.html)

Fingie 01-15-2015 02:55 PM

Chevrolet Spark

Greetings!

I wonder if anyone has any user experience on the Chevy Spark. I saw one (rare here) and I liked it.

Any user experience on 1.0 vs 1.2? We have only manuals here

niky 01-15-2015 08:38 PM

The 1.2 is quicker, but not by all that much. Not quite sure what ECU tuning they run over there, but here, the 1.2 suffers from a very noticeable dip in torque in the midrange that means the 1.0 is just as quick at any rpm below 4k.

Thus, from a practical point of view, unless you're a speed freak (and if you're buying a Spark, you're not), there's no reason to go up.

Haven't had a chance to compare economy, but I've heard tales of over 20 km/l for the 1.0 in steady running. The 1.2 isn't as economical.

MetroMPG 01-15-2015 08:43 PM

I'm actually not aware of any active members here driving the Spark. We only get the 1.2L engine here in Canada/U.S., and I have to admit I was disappointed by the car's fuel economy ratings when it came out. One of its problems is it's a relatively heavy car for its size.

Of course, it's relatively easy to beat the EPA fuel economy ratings if you choose the manual transmission and drive it sensibly.

For 2014, GM in North America replaced the 4-speed automatic option in with a Jatco CVT (same as used in the Mitsu Mirage and a bunch of other small cars).

EDIT: there are a number of dedicated Spark forums out there.

Fingie 01-18-2015 06:52 AM

Ok, thanks! :D i am just curious, as my Celica's insurance is double what of a Spark, and then i could have Premium

niky 01-20-2015 04:04 AM

The Spark has better steering, handling and refinement than the Mirage.

The Mirage is a better buy. :D You get much better engineering for your money.

Fingie 01-20-2015 08:46 AM

I dunno. I have a attachment to my Celica. It's my first real car so... Dumb to say, but it's dear to me :D

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 02-11-2015 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 464600)
I have a attachment to my Celica. It's my first real car so... Dumb to say, but it's dear to me :D

It's perfectly understandable. Anyway, regarding the Spark, it's not available in my country but I have seen many of the previous generation in Uruguay, fitted with the 1.0L engine and they did have some good fuel-efficiency. Not sure how the newer, heavier one, would perform...

Arragonis 02-11-2015 04:20 PM

Compared to most European hatches both the Mirage and the Spark are very poor - no performance, rubbish handling etc.

Find yourself a one of the hatches that sold in big numbers in Europe and you will probably be getting a far better deal - e.g. Clio, 206/7, C3, Polo / Ibiza / Fabia, Punto / Panda etc.

If you find one of the 1.3-1.4 Diesel models you might even make it into the top 50 cars on ecomodder.

kir_kenix 02-11-2015 07:17 PM

I'm on a military base right now, and car pool to work regularly with a guy rocking a Spark. Seems like a pretty decent car, but the automatic tranny (I'm assuming it is a CVT that simulates shifting) seems quirky and buzzy to me. I've only ventured in Wichita Falls with him one time, but acceleration didn't seem too horrible. Passenger seat is comfy, but put a couple people in the back seat and I wouldn't want to travel coast to coast in it.

The guy is very frugal, and he seems to be very economy minded behind the wheel. Told me he gets 45-50mpg depending on what the highway speed is. Overall it seems to be a pretty decent car, but there are probably better options out there considering cost of ownership...not sure what the longevity behind these cars are.

Hacksaw 07-13-2015 07:34 AM

Here's the fuel log for my 5-speed Chevy Spark:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-l...vehicleid=8235
I drive 24 miles a day round trip to work and back. I've taken it on a few trips for gas savings, but it has never lived up to any of my Geo Metros' mpg numbers.

Xist 07-13-2015 03:19 PM

I do not remember any frugal Soldiers, but they probably would have been quiet, too.

niky 07-13-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 486678)
Here's the fuel log for my 5-speed Chevy Spark:
2014 Chevrolet Spark LS Gas Mileage (Black Spark) - EcoModder.com
I drive 24 miles a day round trip to work and back. I've taken it on a few trips for gas savings, but it has never lived up to any of my Geo Metros' mpg numbers.

Wouldn't expect it to. The Mirage is a much more frugal machine.