EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Chevy Volt battery production starting in late 2009? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/chevy-volt-battery-production-starting-late-2009-a-1268.html)

SVOboy 03-04-2008 02:50 PM

Chevy Volt battery production starting in late 2009?

It seems that the company that's making the lithium ion batteries for the car won't be starting production until late 2009 (as planned), so does this bode well for the Volt's theoretical 2010 release? I wonder, :D

From ABG

trebuchet03 03-04-2008 03:53 PM

That's not problematic - that's for going into mass production ;) GM already has them for testing, so it's just a matter of designing around the pack they have, then dropping in mass produced ones...

It bodes - no one can say for sure if it's well or not :p

SVOboy 03-04-2008 03:55 PM

But the pack they have now isn't the same manufacturer as the one talked about by ABG just now, is it? When did they decided to switch from a123 to continental?

trebuchet03 03-04-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 12579)
But the pack they have now isn't the same manufacturer as the one talked about by ABG just now, is it? When did they decided to switch from a123 to continental?

FTA:
Quote:

The first prototype Conti/A123 pack for the Volt program that was delivered to GM at the end of January has been undergoing testing since then.
Should be... iono. But I imagine if it were a different mfr, the new mfr would have samples delivered for design/testing purposes...

Daox 03-04-2008 03:57 PM

Last I heard GM had two companies competing to put their packs in the Volt. I know a123 was one of them, continental must have been the other.

johnpr 03-04-2008 07:46 PM

im excited to see this car produced, i just hope they improve the aerodynamics and range. we had a discussion in my economics class about electric cars, sparked by a video the professor showed. many people in the class thought that the cost of the car could not be justified because they make the occasional 100 mi trip, i pointed out the fact that they are planning on having a generator in the car but people just didnt understand the concept.... sigh... anyhow i am still looking forward to a "big 3" release of an electric vehicle.

AndrewJ 03-04-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpr (Post 12606)
anyhow i am still looking forward to a "big 3" release of an electric vehicle.

You mean another "big 3" release of an electric vehicle? :thumbup:

Poor lil' EV1.

johnpr 03-04-2008 08:42 PM

yeah, only reason i didnt count the ev1 is because they werent available to the general public and as soon as ca cut there ev program the EV1 was destroyed :mad: honestly though that is what they should be targeting is something a little closer to the ev1, i realy like the looks of that car

MetroMPG 03-04-2008 09:32 PM

The Volt designers are intentionally staying away from "science project" looks (their words). Despite the common belief that one reason the Prius sells as well as it does is its unique aero design, the Volt people are aiming for more "mainstream" appearance, according to the reports I've read. Paraphrasing: "something you won't have to apologize for."

SVOboy 03-04-2008 09:35 PM

It seems that GM doesn't really have much of an idea what the american green movement wants (and that's to show off). Oh well.