EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Chicken Feathers for Hydrogen Storage and Wind Power? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/chicken-feathers-hydrogen-storage-wind-power-8973.html)

SVOboy 06-28-2009 09:50 AM

Chicken Feathers for Hydrogen Storage and Wind Power?

What would you say about using “cooked” chicken feathers to store hydrogen very efficiently?* How about using chicken feathers as carbon fiber reinforcement in things like wind turbine blades? The answer to both questions is — yes you can! Science Friday: “Hydrogen Storage in Chicken Feathers?” Researchers say they’ve come up with a new material for storing hydrogen [...] Related posts:
  1. Lease a hydrogen fuel cell car for $315/month?
  2. Toyota Promises Hydrogen Car by 2015
  3. Honda to Lease First Ever Consumer Hydrogen Car, the FCX

More...

Bicycle Bob 06-29-2009 05:07 PM

That would really gross me out. Fortunately, the article is little more than a rumour.

dcb 06-29-2009 05:58 PM

U.S. makes 2 billion pounds of chicken feathers a year
Going Coo Coo for Chicken Feathers!

NeilBlanchard 06-29-2009 06:45 PM

Hi Bob,

The people who published their new uses of chicken feathers are very serious.

Happy News - Feather Fibers Fluff up Hydrogen Storage Capacity

Hydrogen Fuel Tanks Made from Chicken Feathers Could Save $5.5 Million : CleanTechnica

Of Fuel Cells And Chicken Feathers : NPR

Carbonization of chicken feathers for use in biocomposites

Carbon microtubes from chicken feathers

Bio-based polymers and composites - Google Books

ConnClark 06-29-2009 07:23 PM

Why bother with using chicken feathers to store hydrogen when we could harness chickens as fusion reactors? :D

Book Review: Biological Transmutations by C.Louis Kervran

Louis Kervran: Biological Transmutations and Modern Physics~ 1982, English translation

Amazon.com: Biological transmutations;: C. Louis Kervran: Books

Corentin Louis Kervran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ZeroFuel 06-29-2009 08:25 PM

This method & the corn cob tech still uses high pressure storage. We have solved the storage & transportation issues with H2 & NH3. CYA at the X prize.

http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org...-fuel-sciences

dcb 06-29-2009 09:45 PM

heh, perhaps we could interest you in some gently used chicken pee and farts then? :)

NeilBlanchard 06-29-2009 10:10 PM

Hi,

Please listen to the podcast -- Richard Wool says specifically that the hydrogen is stored at low-to-moderate pressure (& reduced temperatures): 40-50 bars.

The nano-pores that are formed on the feathers with the heating are 8 angstroms. Other solid storage systems cost much much more.

There are 6 billion pounds of chicken feathers in the US alone.

ZeroFuel 06-29-2009 11:16 PM

50 bar =725 PSI, still too high, ZeroFuel PSI "0", plus they are dealing with H2 gas & all the issues that go along with it.

dcb 06-30-2009 03:12 AM

But ZF, hydrogen is still a half-baked energy storage medium, no? You would be better off compressing air with the energy it takes to make hydrogen. I mean folks throw the term "renewable hydrogen" around, but the typical plan is a very inefficient use of electricity.

And, speaking of x-prize, ZF, how is making Carbamide from natural gas "zero fuel" anyway? It is an interesting way to carry energy, I will give you that much, but the hard part in making it "renewable" is left undone for the x-prize competition AFAICT.

i.e. How do you plan on separating the N from the O coming out of the industrial plant?

and How do you plan to make "renewable hydrogen"?

I do think it is a very interesting and unique approach, but would like to see how efficiently it compares to, say, LiFeP04 storage of "renewable" energy.

ob chicken: I wonder if I put a steam boiler on my rocket stove and started cramming feathers in there if it would burn anywhere near clean and make my bike move? :D