Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1992 Honda VX OBDI code 22

Hi all. The car sputters pretty bad while accelerating through low and mid range RPMs. Code says it's the VTECH solenoid valve. I took the top of it off and it all looked very clean. I cleaned it all off and put it back together and it's still exhibiting the problem. Has anyone had experience with this? Will I most likely need to replace the solenoid?

From what I researched, the solenoid is one of three possible culprits (which I understand rarely go bad), the other two being leaky rocker arms or low oil pressure.

The car has 225k and the cylinders all had good pressure at 206k when I bought it.

I haven't tested the solenoid with a meter since I don't have one, but I'm guessing would be my next likely step. Can anyone help otherwise?

Many thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Trouble code 22 is for the oil pressure switch, not the VTEC solenoid. The actual solenoid is code 21. OBD1 Trouble Codes - Honda-Tech

First thing check the oil level. The thing is, the pressure switch or the VTEC solenoid is not going to cause the symptoms you describe. It sounds like EGR or O2 sensor to me, even though you don't have a CEL. Try unplugging your primary O2 sensor. Does the sputtering go away?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey, thanks for the response.

The webpage that you reference for the trouble code also says VTEC pressure solenoid for Code 22, the same info I pulled up elsewhere. If it's one and the same as the oil pressure switch, then great.

I checked the oil level, and it was just below the lower notch, so it was low. I brought it back up to full and drove the car around the block twice--it still had the problem (not sure if it needs to be driven more or if topping off the oil would remedy it immediately if that was truly the problem). I will definitely go unplug the O2 sensor and give it a go. It's funny, because the previous owner had just put a new one in before I bought it. I believe it is an NTK.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh and I do get a CEL light, that's what prompted me to do the trouble code testing in the first place. Got the light to immediately come on winding through 1st and 2nd gears quickly.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
I meant a CEL light for the stumble issue on acceleration. A faulty VTEC solenoid would not cause any problems like this, as the car would run fine without VTEC. Make sure you reset the CEL by disconnecting the Neg battery cable before trying each fix.

Code 22 is the pressure switch, code 21 is the actual VTEC solenoid. The naming is confusing, but I verified by checking multiple "code 22" threads on honda-tech.

I'll wait for the results of the O2 sensor test before I suggest any more things to try.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Understood. I'll get back asap on the O2 unplug. Thanks a ton man.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok. Got home late but I disconnected the O2 sensor and it still sputters while accelerating.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Any further suggestions? Or should I just start trying to clean the EGR and whatever else inside the motor?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Sorry I must have missed your earlier post. I'm not sure how the EGR is connected on the VX, but on my HX it's just an electrical connector. I would clean the EGR passages, followed by disconnecting the electrical connector (if it has one) to see how the car responds to each of these fixes. My EGR valve on my HX is defective and if I have it connected the car will sputter just as you describe, so I have to disconnect the electrical connector to prevent it from happening.

After the EGR, check for vacuum leaks. You can do this by using carb cleaner and spray it around the vacuum hoses and connectors while the car is running. If you notice a change in idle after spraying it, then you know you have a leak in that area. One common area to check is the injector seals.

Did the CEL go away after you corrected the oil level and reset the CEL? It's also possible one or more cylinders is worn out, leaking compression, and causing the sputtering. That oil is going somewhere, so make sure to figure out if it's leaking on the driveway or burning while driving.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey, sorry for the super late update, but I just fixed it last week. Turns out I was thinking way overboard; it was the distributor. The internals were all corroded. So, new distributor, plugs n' wires and all's fine. Thanks a lot for your input.

Reply  Post New Thread