EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Choosing a new car... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/choosing-new-car-29193.html)

JFortner5 06-10-2014 10:01 PM

Choosing a new car...

...well a new used car.

Hey everyone, I'm having a bit of a tough time deciding on a new ride. I'm currently driving a 1999 Ford Ranger. It's a 2wd single cab with a V6 and 5 speed. I mostly just commute with it about 50 miles a day. It gets around 21 to 22 mpg.

I am getting a little tired of the lack of room inside and the truck is definitely aging. It has nearly 170k miles now. I like having the truck bed when I need it, but I don't really need it that often.

My thought was since I'm about to be in the market for a newer car I'd like to get one more economical and practical. My goal is 35mpg highway. My other wants are 4 doors, manual transmission, and somewhat fun to drive. Budget is $10-12k.

Here's the kicker, I was thinking to replace my truck bed I'd get a little utility trailer. I am also wanting to get back into dirt bikes. The bike would weigh under 250lbs, so probably 500lbs total weight. I have friends and family with trucks so if I needed something big that's not a problem. I just want to be able to pick up a little lumber or whatever, nothing crazy.

I'm thinking about a Civic sedan. I'm really happy with the 2012 Accord I just bought for my wife. (We doubled the mpg from the Grand Cherokee we replaced) It's our first Honda and first import.

I'd appreciate any input you guys have.

Have a good one,
Joey

JFortner5 06-10-2014 10:03 PM

PS- keeping the truck is not an option. I just don't have the space for it. We don't all park cars in the yard in Alabama lol.

Baltothewolf 06-11-2014 04:21 AM

I was gonna suggest keeping the truck until I saw your post haha.

Anyway, I would go with a Civic LX or maybe a newer Toyota Camry. My 2.2l 95 Camry I had hauled ass when I put my foot down, all I had on it was a cold air intake (sounded 'cool') and I loved slamming that thing around once in a great while for the lolz. I would note though, I don't think you are going to find anything that will have decent towing capacity and get 35mpg. Just saying. Your going to have to pick one of the 2. Decent towing capacity, or mpg. Because anything that's going to have a frame strong enough to tow, isn't going to be light which means -mpg. Hell the 2010 Camry that has a 2.5L engine is only rated for 1,000, while my dads old 2000 Toyota Tacoma 2.4L can tow 3500LBS. So like I said, low mpg and good towing capacity, or high mpg and little to no tow capacity. There might be sedans out there that can do both, but none that I am aware of.

Unless you don't want to tow more then 1,500lbs, because the newer corolla's can tow up to 1,500lbs (could probably do 2k if you wanted as long as the trailer has brakes and your not going to far) and gets well over 40mpg when driven correctly.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-11-2014 05:59 AM

I'd rather get a Corolla over a Civic anytime. You can also keep an eye for a Toyota Matrix.

JFortner5 06-11-2014 07:02 AM

I just need a little towing capacity. I'd be under 1000lbs.

Do Corollas handle decent?

Fat Charlie 06-11-2014 08:58 AM

Hard to go wrong with any of those.

BTW, it's Pahk the cah in the dooah yahd.

Daox 06-11-2014 09:00 AM

I had an 03 Matrix and it handled very good. I also had a set of Eibach springs and a Progress rear sway bar on it though.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-11-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFortner5 (Post 429092)
Do Corollas handle decent?

Sure. Their handling is kinda bread-and-butter compared to the Civic, but it's not really that badif you're not willing to street-race it.

JFortner5 06-11-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 429108)
Sure. Their handling is kinda bread-and-butter compared to the Civic, but it's not really that badif you're not willing to street-race it.

No street racing here. I'm sure any small car would handle better than my truck anyway. I'm not into going super fast or anything, just driving to work. With that said I do like going on curvy back roads from time to time.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-11-2014 12:29 PM

So you would be satisfied with the Corolla. BTW the previous generation even had a 1500lbs. tow rating for the ones fitted with the 1.8L engine and manual transmission, but I didn't find any tow rating for the newer ones.

jedi_sol 06-11-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFortner5 (Post 429043)
.. My other wants are 4 doors, manual transmission, and somewhat fun to drive. Budget is $10-12k.

Subaru Wrx

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-12-2014 10:40 AM

Subaru is cool, but AWD decreases fuel-savings, and replacing a timing belt is a torture...

jedi_sol 06-12-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 429335)
Subaru is cool, but AWD decreases fuel-savings, and replacing a timing belt is a torture...

Timing belt change doesn't seem all that hard on a Subaru. Since its a boxer engine...the timing belt is literally front and center looking right at you.

I've seen timing belt changes on Hondas...in which the timing belt is all the way to right (or left...depending which model you have) of the engine. Mechanics had to unbolt the engine from the chassis to gain access to the timing belt.

To OP,
how about a 4 door civic si? EPA is 29mpg HIGHWAY...however, since you're an ecomodder, im sure you can achieve 35mpg highway :)

Xist 06-12-2014 06:57 PM

A Civic Si should be great fun, but how difficult would fifth-gear swap be? :D

UltArc 06-12-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_sol (Post 429249)
Subaru Wrx

I found 0 under 14k on autotrader: Subaru WRXs for Sale in Rocky River, OH 44116: cars under 14000 - AutoTrader.com

Inspection of the Impreza list shows two, both bug eyes. I thought one could pick up a WRX in that range, did I do something wrong? lol

Subaru Imprezas for Sale in Rocky River, OH 44116: cars under 14000 - AutoTrader.com

jedi_sol 06-12-2014 11:56 PM

Try now :)

AutoTrader.com Mobile

UltArc 06-13-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_sol (Post 429488)

OHHHHHHHHHH BABY, do I love an 07 STi! (06 is sharp, too)

http://www.carpictures.com/pics/full...2008046AD.jpeg
(We can do away with the stance and stickers, though)

(That link worked, by the way :thumbup:)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-13-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi_sol (Post 429355)
Timing belt change doesn't seem all that hard on a Subaru. Since its a boxer engine...the timing belt is literally front and center looking right at you.

I've seen timing belt changes on Hondas...in which the timing belt is all the way to right (or left...depending which model you have) of the engine. Mechanics had to unbolt the engine from the chassis to gain access to the timing belt.

I wasn't considering the Civic, but the Corolla. Anyway, my dad has a '10 Impreza and I still never had to replace its timing belt but wouldn't really want to do so...

UltArc 06-13-2014 12:38 PM

When I was in high school this was my fantasy daily driver. Not as an STi since I could never afford it, but the 06-07 body style is my personal favorite (clearly alone in that regard since they only did it for two years). New Imprezas still get great mileage with the AWD, not sure about the later years.

jedi_sol 06-13-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 429557)
When I was in high school this was my fantasy daily driver. Not as an STi since I could never afford it, but the 06-07 body style is my personal favorite (clearly alone in that regard since they only did it for two years). New Imprezas still get great mileage with the AWD, not sure about the later years.

Yeah, '06-07 was my favorite too..."hawkeye" headlights, biggest hood scoop, that rear window spoiler....however, tacky "blue" interior :p

I lost faith in WRX's in '08-'10 because Subaru made the car "soft and blobulous" to try to appeal to broader audience
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...-s-429x262.jpg

New "regular" impreza's achieve better mileage now because of CVT...however, they are the SLOWEST compact car in the segment.

The brand new 2015 WRX gets better MPG because Subaru FINALLY introduces DIRECT INJECTION and they decreased the displacement back down to 2.0L. The 2.0L motor still creates just as much power as last gen because Subaru incorporates a more efficient "twin scroll turbo." However, it uses "equal length headers" therefore, it looses the trademark Subaru "rumble."

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...u-wrx-fd-1.jpg

The new 2015 WRX STI, simply uses the same carry over engine from the 2008 sti model :mad:...so it's still a honking gas guzzler (except for when im at the wheel :D). Hopefully Subaru will eventually put the new WRX motor into the the Sti, bump up the the displacement back up to 2.5L, twin scroll turbo, direct injection and create a 27mpg monster!

jedi_sol 06-13-2014 01:34 PM

Anyways...back on topic.

Original poster,

I found some used 4 door honda civic si's for sale in your area that's within your budget

Honda Civics for Sale in Calera, AL 35040: cars under 13000 - AutoTrader.com

redpoint5 06-13-2014 02:03 PM

I wouldn't buy another car with a timing belt.

Go with the Corolla because it has a timing chain, gets good mpg, is very reliable, and has a very low overall cost of ownership.

Here is a list of all Toyota vehicles showing which have timing belts, and which have chains.

Any car can tow 1000 lbs. Heck, with how heavy the average American is, they probably routinely tow 1000 lbs.

Thenorm 06-13-2014 06:45 PM

what a bout a Ford Focus.

anything from 2005 to 2011 have a very reliable engine. timing chain.
manual transmission is solid.

can get 35mpg hwy.

if you could find a 2012 Focus with MT, u can get over 40mpg. however i think that is outside of your price range. the 2012 have solid engine and manual. avoid the automatic for 2012+

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-14-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 429580)
Any car can tow 1000 lbs. Heck, with how heavy the average American is, they probably routinely tow 1000 lbs.

I wouldn't be so confident to tow with some compact cars, mostly due to concerns regarding the automatic transmission eventually overheating. But with manuals it's not that bad, a Corolla can safely tow 1500lbs if the trailer has brakes.