Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ZOMGVTEK_2 - '07 Acura TL Type S
90 day: 30.29 mpg (US)
Converting an OBDII vehicle to electric in NYS...

Can this be done, and still comply with the required yearly inspection in NYS? I'm not entirely clear on the regulations here, does it basically need to be a pre-OBDII vehicle to get away with this sutff, or is there some sort of legal method for making the conversion legal? The issue isnt really the physical portion of the inspection, but the OBDII portion. I'm not sure if its reasonably possible to retain the factory ECU and make it happy enough to pass, without an engine installed...

Mechanically and electrically, it can be done fairly easily. I'm just not sure I want to buy something like a Metro and convert it, id much rather use my existing vehicle.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I don't know the exact wording of the New York inspection regulations, but there should be a way to bypass the regular emission inspection. If you can't, it's not difficult to provide valid OBD-II reporting that accurately reports the VIN and that the powerplant is electric.

In Maryland the emissions inspection for an electric conversion is fairly easy. Pull up to the inspection station and open the hood to show the electric motor. The inspector is supposed to stare quizzically at the motor, call the exception phone number, and create an exemption on the spot.

There is no specific Maryland safety requirement at this time, but they may have the power to require a secondary inspection if the vehicle appears grossly unroadworthy.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I would contact your local electric auto club and see what folks there have to say about it.

Reply  Post New Thread