EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   CigLighter/PowerSource/Converter/+700wMicrowave? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ciglighter-powersource-converter-700wmicrowave-22638.html)

SwamiSalami 07-18-2012 08:26 PM

CigLighter/PowerSource/Converter/+700wMicrowave?
 
Quick question for someone who's knowledgeable about this stuff:

I'm going on a weekend trip with my 7 month old (otherwise alone).

I need to warm his bottles and food and therefore I'm considering bringing my (American) microwave (700w) along with my standard US three prong plug that taps directly into my truck's cigarette lighter/power source.

This should work, right? It won't like completely fry my car or something, right?

If this seems like a stupid question, forgive me. I'd just try it myself, but I'm leaving day after tomorrow and don't want unwarranted car trouble.

Thanks guys,

me!:thumbup:

California98Civic 07-18-2012 08:37 PM

I think you'll need an inverter, but there should be a way to do it:

how do you run a microwave in a truck

Can I use a Microwave in my car?!? - Yahoo! Answers

mort 07-18-2012 08:44 PM

Hello SwamiSalami,
You'll fry something. If your microwave needs 700 watts, that looks like about 60 amps to the 12 volt power point. Most are fused at 20 amps. Also the 700 watts may be the microwave output, and 1000 watts needed at the plug. That means something like a 1500 watt inverter and huge battery cables.

You'll need a different plan.
-mort

Ryland 07-19-2012 01:02 AM

Most lighter plugs I've seen have a 15 amp fuse and the wiring going to it would melt if you pulled 15 amps for more then a few minutes.
To power a microwave you would need an inverter that taps right in to the battery of the vehicle.
To warm bottles, how about a thermus of hot water from a gas station (free hot water next to their coffee maker) and you drop the bottle in.

SwamiSalami 07-19-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 317700)
To warm bottles, how about a thermus of hot water from a gas station (free hot water next to their coffee maker) and you drop the bottle in.

I know this works on the other side of the pacific, but I haven't been into many gas stations in the Republic yet. I guess we'll see.

Last road trip we took in the states he didn't mind drinking them cold. I say he didn't mind; he didn't love it, but i think he knew if he didn't eat it cold he wouldn't eat at all.

SwamiSalami 07-19-2012 09:11 AM

Yea, it's weird because the element is supposedly built for this kind of thing.

I have an inverter (that's what I meant by converter). there's a 120w cigarette plug in the dash.

I dunno. I just hate how you have to be some kind of engineer to do ANYTHING these days.

Ryland 07-19-2012 10:20 AM

Why do you need to plug this in to your car? take an extension cord along and plug in while you are stopped.
Other option would be a beverage heater that plugs in to the lighter plug, larger truck stops should have them.

To design a lighter plug that could handle the 60+ amps that you would need you would have to have 4 gauge wire or larger and much much heavier contacts in the plug, something along the lines of an oven plug or electric dryer plug, you might as well be asking why you can't plug your arc welder in to your lighter, to me the microwave is the wrong tool to try to use.

For the cost of an inverter that can power your microwave you could even buy a brand new camp stove and the fuel and pots to do all of the heating and cooking you want to do, it would also take up less space.

mort 07-19-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwamiSalami (Post 317730)
Yea, it's weird because the element is supposedly built for this kind of thing.

I have an inverter (that's what I meant by converter). there's a 120w cigarette plug in the dash.

I dunno. I just hate how you have to be some kind of engineer to do ANYTHING these days.

Hi SwamiSalami,
OK, sorry, I didn't understand. I can't find any information on the capacity of the in dash 120 volt outlet. Maybe your owners manual could help. My Ford has a 120 volt plug built-in, it's rated for 150 watts.
-mort

larrybuck 07-23-2012 11:24 PM

What did you end up doing? My mom used to heat my brothers bottle on the intake manifold.

SwamiSalami 07-28-2012 07:17 AM

yea, so my inverter says no more than 150 watts. what good is that?

I just made stops and went into shops, which had microwaves of their own.

Honestly, it wasn't so bad. I only had to stop for this reason twice.

I was just worried, because we've taken two day long driving trips and that is very taxing in terms of feeding and changing.

I think eventually I'd like to sort this out, but then, eventually it won't be a problem anymore either!

California98Civic 07-28-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwamiSalami (Post 319125)
yea, so my inverter says no more than 150 watts. what good is that?

I just made stops and went into shops, which had microwaves of their own.

Honestly, it wasn't so bad. I only had to stop for this reason twice.

I was just worried, because we've taken two day long driving trips and that is very taxing in terms of feeding and changing.

I think eventually I'd like to sort this out, but then, eventually it won't be a problem anymore either!

Glad it worked out! For future you really could rig something up on the engine. I did. Sometimes on my 12 mile drive to work I heat a small breakfast, like an egg muffin, in a metal box bolted onto the exhaust manifold. I'm sure you could rig something. Be careful not to make the milk too hot though! :eek:

SwamiSalami 07-28-2012 10:09 AM

yea, i've seen a lot of books about cooking under the hood, so to speak.

the idea seems good in theory, but i'm sure it's kind of a pain in the ass to figure it out, right?

California98Civic 07-28-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwamiSalami (Post 319140)
yea, i've seen a lot of books about cooking under the hood, so to speak.

the idea seems good in theory, but i'm sure it's kind of a pain in the ass to figure it out, right?

Not really difficult at all: My wife gave me a Swiss Army Watch for Christmas, and I took the metal box it came in, unscrewed one of the two bolts retaining the heat shield above my exhaust manifold, made a hole in the box, and secured the box and the heat shield onto the manifold. I wrap my food in aluminum foil to keep it from contact with the box (to avoid leakage and other issues). Your car would have a different setup for the manifold, but it is certainly simpler than an inverter and wiring and all that. And the energy I use is "free" or at least it would otherwise be completely wasted.

zermac 08-12-2012 03:56 PM

jeez
 
way can't you just give that baby some luke warm milk...
or put the milk zip lock backs and carrie them inside your shirt ... untill they reach body temp. you could just give it cold milk.
I like that manifold idea too!

SwamiSalami 08-12-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zermac (Post 321239)
you could just give it cold milk.

I think this sentence pretty much alludes to your experience with "hands on" baby-tending, so to speak. "it", really? "him or her" is the preferred vernacular in this instance.

Also, putting it "in your shirt" as you say, would never yield your body's temperature. This is one of the many purposes of skin; it holds in the body's temperature in this respect.

I do, however, give you credit for thinking outside of the box.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com