EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Civic Rear Belly Pan (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/civic-rear-belly-pan-32748.html)

MPGomatic 09-13-2015 08:37 AM

Civic Rear Belly Pan

The experiments continue …

https://youtu.be/zFl6n1T1FCw

Long story short: I did it the hard way. Then the easy way.

Gaping Holes in the Bumper vs Something Unseen, Yet More Effective?

I want to test this - on video - in a wind tunnel.

iamnotahippee 09-13-2015 09:07 AM

Very cool! Good to know large sheets are easily available, I have to rebuild a new lower engine cover on my HCH, gonna be hitting home depot!

deejaaa 09-13-2015 12:09 PM

from what I've read, no belly-pan is worth doing unless it's a full unit. I can't quote but I've had confirmation.

MPGomatic 09-14-2015 07:14 AM

That theory makes sense in general.

Solving the Civic's infamous rear bumper "parachute" problem is my primary goal with this first phase.

Ford's Panther platform has similar issues. Reinhart's rear Panther skid plate addresses them, but is a much smaller piece of plastic.

www.reinhartperformance.com: Rear skid plate

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa (Post 493217)
from what I've read, no belly-pan is worth doing unless it's a full unit. I can't quote but I've had confirmation.

whatmaycome14 09-14-2015 10:43 AM

2 things:

First, I noticed that you didn't extend your rear belly pan to the other side of the muffler. I was wondering if you'd considered it or not?

Second, while I've not found ANY source at a store to buy the 4X8ft corrugated plastic, I've never had a shortage of elections that I've been able to grab signs from... what was the cost of your sheet and is there a reason you didn't grab one for free?

I'm not trying to be patronizing, I'm genuinely curious.

darcane 09-14-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatmaycome14 (Post 493317)
2 things:

First, I noticed that you didn't extend your rear belly pan to the other side of the muffler. I was wondering if you'd considered it or not?

Second, while I've not found ANY source at a store to buy the 4X8ft corrugated plastic, I've never had a shortage of elections that I've been able to grab signs from... what was the cost of your sheet and is there a reason you didn't grab one for free?

First question is answered in the video...

I can't answer for the OP, but for my own use, I wanted clean material to work with and I wanted black so I didn't have to paint it.

4x8 sheet was about $16 at a local plastics supply. There should be several in any large city, or contact a sign store.

Xist 09-14-2015 11:47 PM

I picked up many campaign signs after the election and then someone got rid of all of my stuff from the shed--coroplast, a replacement fender, a metal "cookie sheet" drip pan, and camping stuff. Everybody insists that they do not know anything about it and suggests that someone stole my stuff.

Yes, there have been exposés on the corrugated plastic black market.

MPGomatic 09-16-2015 04:51 PM

I'm working on the passenger side, but I'm rethinking it again. I don't want to box the muffler in, but I want to get close to it and block off entry points to the bumper … Looking at aluminum options now …

2 in. x 36 in. x 5/32 in. Twinwall Plastic Sheet - $11.98
72 in. x 36 in. x 5/32 in. Twinwall Plastic Sheet-COR-3672 - The Home Depot

Election signs are too small to cover the area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatmaycome14 (Post 493317)
2 things:

deejaaa 09-16-2015 09:06 PM

100% silicone works good to bond small sheets. I've used white on white panels and clear on others.

charlie_ruizpr 10-01-2015 05:54 PM

How about using 1/4" pvc sheet instead?

MPGomatic 10-02-2015 08:12 AM

1/4" seems thick/heavy, but hey, whatever ya have handy! :thumbup:

Might be tough to deal with the muffler, though. Aluminum seems like it's the way to go, but I wish I had more resources/time to fab a kelvar pan. Maybe fab with aluminum, clone with kelvar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie_ruizpr (Post 495275)
How about using 1/4" pvc sheet instead?

elhigh 10-02-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPGomatic (Post 495318)
1/4" seems thick/heavy, but hey, whatever ya have handy! :thumbup:

Might be tough to deal with the muffler, though. Aluminum seems like it's the way to go, but I wish I had more resources/time to fab a kelvar pan. Maybe fab with aluminum, clone with kelvar?

Speaking of heavy...

I have a bunch of stainless steel panels from tearing down a defunct OPL washing machine. That would make some stylin' belly pans!

And no worries about exhaust heat melting it!

MPGomatic 10-03-2015 08:40 AM

That would look sweet. Pepper it with pop rivets and spray it with clear! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 495324)
Speaking of heavy...

I have a bunch of stainless steel panels from tearing down a defunct OPL washing machine. That would make some stylin' belly pans!

And no worries about exhaust heat melting it!

iamnotahippee 10-06-2015 11:09 PM

What about just cutting off the muffler and putting a piece of straight pipe in its place? That would be smaller and easier to work around. Or even replace the muffler with a glass pack or turbo tube type muffler that would have a much smaller diameter than the original.

MPGomatic 10-07-2015 07:41 AM

I gave the Cherry Bomb glasspack some thought, mostly because I've always loved the stickers. :thumbup: But the marginal potential for MPG improvement isn't worth the increase in noise level, IMHO. Slambo had an eBay fart can muffler when I bought it … removing it was one of the first tasks accomplished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotahippee (Post 495754)
What about just cutting off the muffler and putting a piece of straight pipe in its place? That would be smaller and easier to work around. Or even replace the muffler with a glass pack or turbo tube type muffler that would have a much smaller diameter than the original.