Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Solve Suby Sound with me

My wife has a 2010 Subaru forester. It is making an intermittent squeaking sound of metal on metal from the rear drivers side wheel. It seems to be brake related. When I depress the brake the squeaking sound emerges. When I start again, the sound increases in intensity as the rpm of the wheel increase. But the sound disappears at about 20 miles an hour, only to return if I even tap the brake for a moment. My thought was that it was an indication that the brake pads are worn and that the sound is the metal tab squeaking against the brake disc. But then the sound sometimes goes away for a few days. And the last time I tested it, the sound didn't occur at all if I used the brakes traveling in reverse. That was weird. The Subaru is an all wheel drive car of course. I'm wondering if people think there could be something related to the differential for that wheel that is causing the squeaking.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer me. If I haven't been clear I'll answer more questions too.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-07-2017, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Have you done the obvious thing and checked the wear on the pads? Assuming you have, it could possibly be a stone trapped between the disc back plate and the disc itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to JockoT For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-14-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 02:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Here in the Rust Belt the first thing i'd do is pull the wheel and the caliper and make sure those guide pins are clean and lubed. Of course check pad and rotor condition. Retract the piston while you're there.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Both good suggestions. Thanks, guys. I only had time for a cursory inspection with the wheel on at first. Then the sound went away, so I left well enough alone. Then it oddly came back. It is still there and life is so busy I am procrastinating the further inspection. Better do it soon! I'll report back the resolution of it.

Thx!

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread