EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Clean vs Dirty Car / Much difference? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/clean-vs-dirty-car-much-difference-32352.html)

ChewChewTrain 07-11-2015 05:52 PM

Clean vs Dirty Car / Much difference?

Hi, everyone!

Recently got 54.62mpg on a 746 roundtrip drive from Oakland to LA with a dirty car.

How much better would my MPG improve with a clean car?

dirtydave 07-11-2015 07:22 PM

in Gran Turismo you get +2MPH top speed!

redneck 07-11-2015 08:03 PM

How much would your MPG improve...???

Zero... Zip... Nada...

>

ChewChewTrain 07-11-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 486550)
in Gran Turismo you get +2MPH top speed!

Hmmm. Can you play Gran Turismo to practice your hypermiling skills? ;)

ThePrudentNinja 07-11-2015 11:50 PM

I have wondered if there is a difference in fuel economy between a well waxed (slippery surface) car and a dirty car. I would presume there to be a difference but real life aerodynamics sometimes doesn't do as one would think.

Vman455 07-12-2015 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePrudentNinja (Post 486579)
I have wondered if there is a difference in fuel economy between a well waxed (slippery surface) car and a dirty car. I would presume there to be a difference but real life aerodynamics sometimes doesn't do as one would think.

According to Gary Eaker, who runs the A2 wind tunnel, no:

"Wax: Contrary to what you may read on your favorite message board, well-waxed, smooth paint is no more aerodynamic than the worst spray-can, flat-black primer job you can imagine."

Xist 07-12-2015 01:50 AM

"You painted that yourself?"
"You can tell?"
"Only because it looks absolutely atrocious."
"It is just as aerodynamic as a professional paint job!"
"Just as... aerodynamic? All that you cared about was it being aerodynamic?"
"Hey, it will not rust, either!"
"It would look better if it did!"

user removed 07-12-2015 07:59 AM

I generally keep my cars clean and waxed, unless like the Sentra, the paint job was trashed. There is so much wax on the Mirage, rain actually cleans the outside. Rain-X on all exterior windows keeps them as well as rendering the windshield wipers virtually useless.

Better mileage?

Probably not.

regards
mech

freebeard 07-12-2015 11:56 AM

Aircraft benefit from flush-headed rivets, as seen in the movie Aviator, but they operate in laminar flow. Cars are in a turbulent flow at ground level.

Gloss paint and wax addressed limitations in the material. Modern paints can be impermeable and still have a satin or flat finish.

I watched a Youtube video on car detailing, where they suggested Carnuba wax on the glass instead of Rain-X. Thoughts?

Hersbird 07-12-2015 03:45 PM

Back in my automotive detailing days in 1984 we put the same wax on the windows and chrome as we did the rest of the paint.