EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Clear Rim Covers (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/clear-rim-covers-22194.html)

UltArc 06-07-2012 02:28 PM

Clear Rim Covers

Hi there,

I am working on some mods, and would really like to set up rim / wheel covers for my vehicle. It is newer, and I like the aluminum rims and do not want to cover them up. I am going to just use clear tape if I cannot find an alternative, but would like something more permanent, and eco friendly.

Unfortunately the significant other is pressuring me to leave, but if anyone has ideas, pleAse let me know!

redorchestra 06-07-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 311108)
Hi there,

I am working on some mods, and would really like to set up rim / wheel covers for my vehicle. It is newer, and I like the aluminum rims and do not want to cover them up. I am going to just use clear tape if I cannot find an alternative, but would like something more permanent, and eco friendly.

Unfortunately the significant other is pressuring me to leave, but if anyone has ideas, pleAse let me know!

I used clear shelf liner to smooth my aluminum rims. It ripped apart after a few weeks. If I do it again I will sandwich fiberglass screen between two sheets of clear shelfliner . More stabile

UltArc 06-07-2012 11:33 PM

Hmm.

So before I was forced to leave, I just wanted to ask for any input. Searching around on here, I have only found pizza pans and metal. I am usually function WAY over form, but I do like my current appearance, and would like to try to preserve it a bit.

I had figured some people had worked out a good alternative solution. I want to do it soon, but the dealer put something slippery on my rims that makes them shiny, so I think I will wait until I empty the tank.

Hopefully this doesn't just waste a thread, if anyone has any input :)

2000mc 06-07-2012 11:53 PM

to me it reads like..

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 311108)
I would like wheel covers for my vehicle. I like the aluminum rims and do not want to cover them up.

maybe better clarification would yield more responses

even if you were able to attach a piece of glass, the reflection at most angles would drastically alter the appearance, and the inside would get covered with dirt and brake dust.

UltArc 06-08-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 311179)
to me it reads like..

maybe better clarification would yield more responses

even if you were able to attach a piece of glass, the reflection at most angles would drastically alter the appearance, and the inside would get covered with dirt and brake dust.

I would be scared of glass as a hazard. I liked the tape idea for the purpose of pulling off a lot of dirt and grime when they were taken off. I also have to do some research on fiber glass, as I have absolutely no experience with it.

2000mc 06-08-2012 12:24 AM

ok plexiglass
what i was tring to say was even the best clear cover would have a significant impact on the appearance of your wheels anyway

Sporty Modder 06-08-2012 12:27 AM

I really like Polycarbonate. I worked in a glass shop for a while and would not put glass on the outside of a car. Poly(Lexan) brand name is very flexible and very strong but is more expensive than glass or acrylic(plexi) of similar thickness.

UltArc 06-08-2012 12:56 AM

Have either of you guys tried these?

ballo 06-08-2012 02:13 AM

My first thought to preserve the looks as much as possible was to install clear plastic panels between the spokes and flush to the surface, but unfortunately looking at the 2012 stock wheels it looks like you'd end up with a concave surface... thinking that's not a good aero idea

Vekke has used polycarbonate transparent hubcaps on his VW for a while
They're green translucent though, his Tuneko commercial site has a good pic of clear ones and their effect on the look of the wheel.

http://tuneko.com/images/Electric_Ra...ng_hubcaps.jpg
Link

UltArc 06-08-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporty Modder (Post 311187)
I really like Polycarbonate. I worked in a glass shop for a while and would not put glass on the outside of a car. Poly(Lexan) brand name is very flexible and very strong but is more expensive than glass or acrylic(plexi) of similar thickness.

I really need to investigate on building materials. The past 24 hours have been quite the experiment with 'Great Stuff' foam. Not the greatest of stuff, if I'm honest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballo (Post 311207)
My first thought to preserve the looks as much as possible was to install clear plastic panels between the spokes and flush to the surface, but unfortunately looking at the 2012 stock wheels it looks like you'd end up with a concave surface... thinking that's not a good aero idea

Vekke has used polycarbonate transparent hubcaps on his VW for a while
They're green translucent though, his Tuneko commercial site has a good pic of clear ones and their effect on the look of the wheel.

http://tuneko.com/images/Electric_Ra...ng_hubcaps.jpg
Link

These look sweet, but it's Finland. I would love to grow up there and become a racer driver, but that's past my time. I did contact them, but have low expectations. Your first idea sounded cool, but even if it would work out, I do not have those kind of skills. As I mentioned up above, I am struggling a bit with Great Stuff.