EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   The climate change movement: July 28, 1995 to August 14, 2020 RIP (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/climate-change-movement-july-28-1995-august-14-a-38533.html)

oil pan 4 08-14-2020 05:01 PM

The climate change movement: July 28, 1995 to August 14, 2020 RIP

Why I'm calling it?
Well this happened over 3 months ago and no one freaked out about it, not even a peep.
Even I think it's pretty significant.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ce-melt-again/
It happened last year they kind of freaked out about it, then it repeated this year and crickets. The crickets are deafening and I can't take it any more.
I checked some of the other climate change posts on different forms and most of them haven't been updated in months, since before the plandemic.

I said it would be finished by 2022 and it seems like they have been riding a dead horse for about the last 3 or 4 years.

Piotrsko 08-15-2020 09:41 AM

Input fatigue.

Everyone is running about in circles shouting "We're gonna die" about today's viral video. People really can't multitask

redpoint5 08-15-2020 11:41 AM

I was just wondering yesterday how far one would have to move to offset a given predicted rise in temperature.

Based on the graph below, it seems every 1 degree latitude results in 0.5 degree C (about 1 degree F) change in temperature.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...PPUUlJyXDXbpVQ

1 degree latitude is about 69 miles.

If temperatures were expected to rise 2.5 degrees C in 100 years, a person would need to move 5 degrees latitude, or 345 miles to offset it (about 3.5 miles per year). I guess we'll see everyone in Sacramento moving to Medford in the next 100 years.

Supposed to be 100 degrees the next couple days here in what has otherwise been a pretty mild summer.

freebeard 08-15-2020 03:57 PM

"The climate change movement: July 28, 1995 to August 14, 2020 RIP"

Do you have a moment to talk about the GrEen NeW DeAl?

oil pan 4 08-15-2020 07:30 PM

They tried cap and tax when they had the unvetoable super majority and it still failed.
The new green deal is all the tax, none of the cap and more free shtuff.
The new green deal was dead on arrival in the senate. Most of the senate democrats wouldn't even touch it.
2 reasons you know they gave up on the new green deal as a standalone bill.
1 If they knew it could pass on its own then why did they try to roll the new green deal in with the china virus stimulus package.
2 AOC only gets 1 minute at the convention.
3 climate change worrying hasn't polled above single digits for about 8 years.

I'm sure it will briefly return in zombie form for a little while when the virus burns it self out and fake race riots run out of money.

freebeard 08-15-2020 07:57 PM

It was more about 'do you have a moment to talk about...', as I hear a cult frame of mind.

Via Suspicious 0bservers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4J2dZZ6slA
Global Warming, Climate Change, Green New Deal.... It's all gradualism. Catastophism will eat their lunch.

If the weather warfare floods and locusts don't get us first.

I'd missed yesterday's S0, there's this:
news.osu.edu: Warming Greenland ice sheet passes point of no return
Quote:

The glaciers have shrunk back enough that many of them are sitting in deeper water, meaning more ice is in contact with water. Warm ocean water melts glacier ice, and also makes it difficult for the glaciers to grow back to their previous positions.

That means that even if humans were somehow miraculously able to stop climate change in its tracks, ice lost from glaciers draining ice to the ocean would likely still exceed ice gained from snow accumulation, and the ice sheet would continue to shrink for some time.

“Glacier retreat has knocked the dynamics of the whole ice sheet into a constant state of loss,” said Ian Howat, a co-author on the paper, professor of earth sciences and distinguished university scholar at Ohio State. “Even if the climate were to stay the same or even get a little colder, the ice sheet would still be losing mass.”
They go on to talk about rising sea levels. But if it shuts down the Gulf Stream, then ==>Snowball!

oil pan 4 08-15-2020 08:35 PM

Oh that's nothing the lack of magnetic field on earth will get us first. I think it was a week ago the Coronal hole stream knocked out Australian communication satellites, that's not even a solar storm. So now we have mundane space weather damaging stuff.

freebeard 08-15-2020 09:57 PM

Reverse lightning strike on the Oriental Pearl tower in Shanghai?

Suspicious 0bserver's position is that this is the penultimate Solar Minimum. The next one will blow a shell of material off the Sun in a micro-nova in the mid-2030s.

Future archeologists will interpret it as meteors. Like we do with 0bserver's Trench.

wdb 08-16-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 629653)
Oh that's nothing the lack of magnetic field on earth will get us first.

Depends on who you talk to.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ght-180972843/

oil pan 4 08-16-2020 04:12 PM

I didn't say earth's magnetic field was going to flip.
But since 1860 the earth has lost 20% of the field strength, most of that 20% since 2000.
Thr north and south poles have moved more in our lifetimes than they did previously going back to the1600s.
This may be a magnetic excursion, where the poles move so far then go back. The earth's magnetic field strength is pretty much guaranteed to drop at least 50% and will likely fall below 20%.
For all we know the only thing that might be able to flip the poles is when a super solar storm hits during a magnetic excursion and pushes the poles a full 180 degrees. The magnetic excursion may be a regular event happening every 10 to 20 thousand years.

freebeard 08-16-2020 04:48 PM

Suspicious 0bservers reports that the NASA video on the South Atlantic Anomaly is still AWOL after three days. This in a story about lightning bolts that strike upward from the ground being 10x as common now.

Piotrsko 08-17-2020 10:39 AM

I was under the impression that since the sky was negatively charged, lightning went from earth to sky, it was just the arcs ionization trail that went from cloud down the current path.

freebeard 08-17-2020 11:39 AM

The step leader is always downward.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Positive and negative lightning
Cloud-to-ground (CG) lightning is either positive or negative, as defined by the direction of the conventional electric current from cloud to ground. Most CG lightning is negative, meaning that a negative charge is transferred to ground and electrons travel downward along the lightning channel. The reverse happens in a positive CG flash, where electrons travel upward along the lightning channel and a positive charge is transferred to the ground. Positive lightning is less common than negative lightning, and on average makes up less than 5% of all lightning strikes.[43]
There are six different mechanisms theorized to result in the formation of downward positive lightning.

According to S0, positive strikes are increasing.

oil pan 4 08-17-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 629679)
Suspicious 0bservers reports that the NASA video on the South Atlantic Anomaly is still AWOL after three days. This in a story about lightning bolts that strike upward from the ground being 10x as common now.

In the 1990s I described seeing sprites and upwards lightning and was told I was lied or was seeing things.
I guess other people saw these phenomena were told the same thing and eventually someone kept going on about it until published scientific people were like "I'll put an end to this once and for all,,,, ummmm wait a minute".

freebeard 08-17-2020 12:55 PM

That's the way science works. :)

Claims must be falsifiable.

NeilBlanchard 08-17-2020 04:07 PM

Ridiculous thread. Climate science started in the early 1800's.

Denying facts doesn't change them.

freebeard 08-17-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the new thread. It's been a while since the Consensus thread failed.

Denying counterfactuals doesn't negate them.

oil pan 4 08-17-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 629712)

Not denying anything. Climate science is important. The only thing more important is to do it correctly.

freebeard 08-17-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Climate science is important.
But it's hard to keep up. Did you see the story on S0 about the turbulence in the electromagnetic wake of Earth in the Solar wind couples energy [more than predicted] to the planet? https://www.nasa.gov/feature/aurora-...hemis-mission/

It's the new constellation of THEMIS satellites.

Quote:

By providing a broader picture than can be seen with the three THEMIS spacecraft or ground observations alone, the new models have shown that auroral beads are caused by turbulence in the plasma – a fourth state of matter, made up of gaseous and highly conductive charged particles – surrounding Earth. The results, recently published in the journals Geophysical Research Letters and Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, will ultimately help scientists better understand the full range of swirling structures seen in the auroras.

“THEMIS observations have now revealed turbulences in space that cause flows seen lighting up the sky as of single pearls in the glowing auroral necklace," said Evgeny Panov, lead author on one of the new papers and THEMIS scientist at the Space Research Institute of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. “These turbulences in space are initially caused by lighter and more agile electrons, moving with the weight of particles 2000 times heavier, and which theoretically may develop to full-scale auroral substorms.”

Mysteries of Auroral Beads Formation
Auroras are created when charged particles from the Sun are trapped in Earth’s magnetic environment – the magnetosphere – and are funneled into Earth’s upper atmosphere, where collisions cause hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen atoms and molecules to glow. By modelling the near-Earth environment on scales from tens of miles to 1.2 million miles, the THEMIS scientists were able to show the details of how auroral beads form.

As streaming clouds of plasma belched by the Sun pass Earth, their interaction with the Earth’s magnetic field creates buoyant bubbles of plasma behind Earth. Like a lava lamp, imbalances in the buoyancy between the bubbles and heavier plasma in the magnetosphere creates fingers of plasma 2,500 miles wide that stretch down towards Earth. Signatures of these fingers create the distinct bead-shaped structure in the aurora.

“There's been a realization that, all summed up, these relatively little transient events that happen around the magnetosphere are somehow important,” said David Sibeck, THEMIS project scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. “We have only recently gotten to the point where computing power is good enough to capture the basic physics in these systems.”

In other news— super sun screen with inexpensive precursors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I50EEKzrOd4

oil pan 4 08-18-2020 12:47 AM

I made a casual observation here tonight, all the record highs in NM have occurred during or around the time of solar maximum after the longest solar minimums. Probably just coincidence, the thing that provides almost all of the earth's energy can't possibly effect the weather...That's ludicrous.

JSH 08-18-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 629606)
Why I'm calling it?
Well this happened over 3 months ago and no one freaked out about it, not even a peep.
It happened last year they kind of freaked out about it, then it repeated this year and crickets. The crickets are deafening and I can't take it any more.
I checked some of the other climate change posts on different forms and most of them haven't been updated in months, since before the plandemic.

I said it would be finished by 2022 and it seems like they have been riding a dead horse for about the last 3 or 4 years.

I'm thinking the public and the media have been busy with a couple of other topics this year.

EDIT: That article was published about a week after George Floyd was killed by police.

oil pan 4 08-18-2020 04:44 PM

Global warming was supposed to be the largest threat to humanity ever and it was just tossed aside like last week's garbage in the face of this election years circus antics.
I see the weather channel talking about all the old records high temps from 1929-1931.
So I looked up solar cycle 16. It seems that long solar minimus, with no sun spots for a long time make for record heat.
The solar minimum going into cycle 16 lasted 528 spotless days, the maximum was April 1928. The records came pouring in over the next 3 years on and around the second peak.

freebeard 08-18-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH
I'm thinking the public and the media have been busy with a couple of other topics this year.

To keep trying the same thing over and over is, by definition, insane.

They've still got Alien Invasion.

Xist 08-18-2020 08:17 PM

Remember how it was nice and cool while everybody was inside?

I am still waiting for it to get hot enough for coronavirus to go away like a miracle. Phoenix has had 42 days 110° or higher.

The previous record was 33 and there is no relief in sight.

JSH 08-18-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 629744)
Global warming was supposed to be the largest threat to humanity ever and it was just tossed aside like last week's garbage in the face of this election years circus antics....

What could kill you today tends to trump what will likely kill someone else in a poor country 20 years from now.

freebeard 08-18-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
― Frank Herbert, Dune

It's what it recites as it washes it's hands.

Xist 08-18-2020 11:48 PM

Quote:

"I must not fear. Fear is the... the... what is fear?! How does this go?! Aaaaaah!"
--Xist, rappelling

oil pan 4 08-19-2020 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 629746)
To keep trying the same thing over and over is, by definition, insane.

They've still got Alien Invasion.

They tried that one.
Search "aliens and climate change".
Climate change killed other civilizations, aliens don't want us to join their united federation of planets or galactic empire or covenant because we are trashing our planet.
If they needed a violent race that breeds fast and can use technology we would totally be in the covenant.

oil pan 4 08-19-2020 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 629757)
What could kill you today tends to trump what will likely kill someone else in a poor country 20 years from now.

If you're trying to sell something you're doing a really bad job.

aerohead 08-19-2020 03:20 PM

RIP

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 629606)
Why I'm calling it?

We were asked not to discuss climate change. I'll wait until Darin or the other higher-ups green-light the topic.
Otherwise, the pandemic, black lives matter, and reopening the economy seem to have dominated all media reporting.

freebeard 08-19-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

We were asked not to discuss climate change. I'll wait until Darin or the other higher-ups green-light the topic.
Wasn't it political bickering? But sure, DM the mods and have them post in the thread. Ground rules or whatever.
Quote:

Otherwise, the pandemic, black lives matter, and reopening the economy seem to have dominated all media reporting.
Well there's your problem — listening to the corporate media. They're monomaniacal.

Listen to them and you wind up befuddled like John Gilkerson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhHH7I8kuAg

JSH 08-19-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 629766)
If you're trying to sell something you're doing a really bad job.

I'm not selling anything. Just pointing out that the threat of our changing climate is abstract for many people in a way that COVID 19 and riots on the streets of your own city are not. The later will get more attention than the former.

freebeard 08-19-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

... threat of our changing climate is abstract for many people in a way that COVID 19 and riots on the streets of your own city are not.
And Space Weather is more abstract yet.

oil pan 4 08-19-2020 07:51 PM

Don't speak ill of the dead.
We should celebrate the accomplishments of the global warming movement that later transitioned into the climate change movement.
Let's see they closed a bunch of nuclear power stations, tried to ban facking which gave us natural gas which was used to replace coal, they closed coal plants that were supposed to be the safer alternative to nuclear, the same people promoting global warming then blocked over all water wind projects on the east coast for a decade, they got diesel vehicles off the road and replaced them with more CO2 per mile emitting gasoline cars, they promote hydrogen which uses natural gas, emits CO2 and is horribly inefficient.
They suppressed research into space effects on weather.
They pushed electric vehicle technology forward, that was about all they really accomplished.
This 6 month break in climate change mass hysteria has given people a chance to do actual science again that not attached to a political agenda.
I'm sure the climate change movement will come back some what next summer and die it's final death that year.

oil pan 4 08-19-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 629785)

I like how the biggest threat to man kind ever was just tossed aside for what amounts to jerry springer episodes involving larceny and use of explosives to commit felonies.

freebeard 08-22-2020 02:59 PM

Thor's Hammer

https://youtu.be/7wpxSKrd77Y?t=37

Xist 08-22-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 629765)
If they needed a violent race that breeds fast and can use technology [while driving or walking into imminent danger] we would totally be in the covenant.

Fixed! :)

oil pan 4 08-22-2020 05:26 PM

2+2 would equal 5 in a world with out 4. Then 4 would be 5 and so on.

freebeard 08-22-2020 05:54 PM

Quote:

2+2 would equal 5 in a world with out 4
I'll grant you the 'would' but wouldn't that raise holy havoc with the cosmological constants?*
Quote:

When you encounter the question of "how much," you probably think of the force of gravity being determined by a universal gravitational constant, G, and of the "energy of a particle" being determined by its rest mass, such as the mass of an electron, me. You think of the speed of light, c, and for quantum mechanics, Planck's constant, ħ. But physicists don't like to use these constants when we describe the Universe, because these constants have arbitrary dimensions and units to them.
[in the voice of the young Woody Allen in Annie Hall] "The Red Shift is quantized!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHa_RoeAYw

*Now that I think about it that would be moving from base 5 to base 4, expressed in base 10. That would be possible in our Universe.

oil pan 4 09-17-2020 12:18 PM

Now that the whole state of California is on fire because they decided to bet on turning fighting forest fires into a business model instead of practicing forestry they are predictably blaming climate change.
Climate change hasn't been putting out nearly all forest fires for the last 50 years.