-   Off-Topic Tech (
-   -   Clutch plate bolts? (

bennelson 08-15-2014 04:05 PM

Clutch plate bolts?
Hey guys, weird little question here.

I'm replacing a clutch, and I'm curious as to what I need for the bolts that hold on the clutch cover plate.

I haven't specifically worked on clutches before, and this one is custom. I'm using an old Mercedes diesel with a Chevy transmission. I have a clutch disc and cover plate that fit the Mercedes flywheel, but am not sure what I need for those clutch cover bolts.

Can I just get whatever size is correct from the hardware store? Does it have to be Grade 8 or some other special type?

Thanks in advance!


Cobb 08-15-2014 07:35 PM

I go grade 8 just because I hate broken bolts. Basically you just need to evenly apply pressure to the outer edge. So make sure to have a torque wrench and expect to spend some time going in a star pattern and rechecking your torque as they snug up.

Does this vehicle look normal or is it heavily moded? :eek:

bennelson 08-15-2014 10:37 PM

Wait, why does it have to look normal OR be heavily modified!?!?

For now, it's going to be pretty normal-looking. This is for my truck project.

At some point, I'll be making an aero-cap for it, and that will be a little different. Hopefully more "eye-catching" than "werid-looking".

But for now, I'm working on the drive-line.

Cobb 08-15-2014 11:52 PM

Is it a Chevy with a Mercedes motor or a Mercedes with a Chevy tranny? :confused:


Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 440315)
I'm using an old Mercedes diesel with a Chevy transmission. I have a clutch disc

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright