Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2020, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Reintroduction. Two hybrids.

I don't know if I need to introduce myself, but I've been away for a while so I figured why not.

I couldn't remember my old password nor could I get access to the email address I think I had back then. So I have another screen name. It used to be Isaac Zackary, almost the same.

Anyhow I still have the Avalon HV and now bought a 2006 Prius for $300 with bad batteries and catalytic converter, and a few other things. Anyhow, I got the batteries figured out and working. I took the HV battery apart, charged each module then discharged each one and recorded the capacities. One module was bad, but I changed out two others as well. So for less than $400 I now have a running Prius.

Oh, my insurance also went down again. When I had gotten rid of my 1985 Golf Diesel my insurance actually went up since the multi car discount is apparently bigger than the cost to put liability on a second vehicle. It's only like $15 a month cheaper, but hey, I'll take it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
M_a_t_t (12-14-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Didn't your previous incarnation have a 1967 Beetle? What became of it?

Old 12-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Didn't your previous incarnation have a 1967 Beetle? What became of it?
Sort of. It was a Super Beetle made from a 1970 Beetle and two Super Beetles from 1971 and 1972.

I ended up selling it. I put it in the paper and was offered substantially more for it than what I had paid for it. Although I had rebuild the engine and redid all the brakes and wheel bearings and got all the electrical and heating working 100% by then.

I sold it thinking it would be smart to have just one car and focus on it. So I sold it and my 1985 VW Golf diesel and bought the Avalon. (This was probably a good choice since it looks like the wife and I are going to be parents.) But then the Wife saw this $300 Prius and just had to have it. So now we're a two car family again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
My SUPERBeetle is parked 25 miles away in someone else's yard, while I make payments to them on the 1990 XFi I'm driving. I looked at selling it last summer but the prospects were pretty dismal, and now is running (well) on three cylinders.

The third car is a 1979 VW Dasher diesel. I've picked the previous owner to sell it back to (it was their family car for years) but I haven't convinced them yet. I don't want it to go to some stranger.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (12-14-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread