EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Coda Automotive, we hardly knew ya. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/coda-automotive-we-hardly-knew-ya-25709.html)

botsapper 05-01-2013 12:36 PM

Coda Automotive, we hardly knew ya.

A Santa Monica-based EV automotive company (partnered with Hafei and Qingyuan Electric Vehicle) has filed for Chapter 11 and will restructure as an energy storage (battery) business.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-cont...DA-Sedan-1.jpg

Coda officially files for bankruptcy, shifts focus to energy storage

gone-ot 05-01-2013 12:51 PM

...and, suddenly, the automotive world again hears the musical strains of Queen's "...Another One Bites the Dust..."

MetroMPG 05-01-2013 01:55 PM

Not to worry!

Another company is already rushing in to fill the gaping void in the EV market for boring-looking Chinese sedan conversions!

Greentech Auto's Electric Sedan: Haven't We Seen This Before?

rmay635703 05-01-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 369117)
Not to worry!

Another company is already rushing in to fill the gaping void in the EV market for boring-looking Chinese sedan conversions!

Too bad the chinese don't bring in say a VW 1l electric knockoff, an Aptera knockoff or even an EV1 or Insight G1 electric car knockoff, then it would at least be somewhat unique.

Christopher Jordan 05-01-2013 09:12 PM

Yesterday an Enterprise rental company started renting Leaf here. Over 20 years has been cluttered with bankruptcys, lawsuits (Zap- started in my town), owners grabbing all the money and taking off (Aptera/ Triac) or just fading away (Th!nk, Zenn, Gem, Lido, etc.). Glad I had that German City-El EV as long as I did before some "yahoo" hit the fan.

Frank Lee 05-01-2013 10:48 PM

I don't think they got any Federal money; I wonder how much they took Cali for. :mad:

mechman600 05-01-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 369117)
Not to worry!

Too bad it's only a 25 mph car.

niky 05-02-2013 12:02 AM

And a speed governor removal kit will be sold out the back door...

Honestly... CODA's death isn't even news, anymore. Phoenix, Electrovaya, XAP... so many companies thinking they can get away with using crummy third-rate gliders while STILL finding buyers... boggles the mind.

Why not buy a Geely glider, or a Haima glider. At least we know those can pass NHTSA crash tests.

Ryland 05-02-2013 12:54 AM

It's not surprising at all if you read anything at all about them, even 3 years ago it was pretty clear that they were not going to go any where because they were taking a poorly built vehicle and hoping that they could make it sell by giving it a slightly longer range, not enough of a range increase to make anyone pay attention and like others have pointed out, they tried to use it having a trunk as a selling point! yes you can buy a $40,000 car with a trunk! it has wheels and doors too, it even has air bags! oh... those air bags don't work so we need to recall all of our cars and fix them... oops!

rmay635703 05-02-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 369198)
It's not surprising at all if you read anything at all about them, even 3 years ago it was pretty clear that they were not going to go any where because they were taking a poorly built vehicle and hoping that they could make it sell by giving it a slightly longer range

Chinese vehicles work great for NEV's my chinese ZX40 in all honesty is just fine as a regular car, it even has the Dodge like dash crack and seat fade issues.

Too bad they wouldn't take a small light unit and offer it quicker, chinese make spartan simple vehicles OK (aka mechanical everything with leaf springs) but start to fail as soon as anything like a digital panel start to come into the picture.

i figure the only way the chinese could sell something here successfully would be if they offered exactly what i mention in the first post and keep everything very mechanical and simple, some of their companies (cough daihatsu) can handle that at least. And they would find a neglected market if they can keep the price down.

Cheers
Ryan