EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   coil for motor voltage (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/coil-motor-voltage-12797.html)

fatman57 03-30-2010 07:17 PM

coil for motor voltage

less heat and waste is generated by higher voltages against amps. In a vehicle powered by car batteries would it be a good idea to run the output of the batteries through a coil to raise the voltage? Would the electric motor generate less heat and possibly have more torque?

gone-ot 03-30-2010 08:32 PM

...an *added* coil would introduce additional DC-resistance which would consume even MORE power.

...you cannot "step-up" DC-voltage, as from a car battery, using a coil.

...you need either AC-voltage and a transformer, or a "switching" coil-capacitor (LC) network and circuitry (like switching power supplies).

Ryland 03-30-2010 09:54 PM

I don't understand the question.
If you want higher voltage get higher voltage batteries and bump up the whole systems voltage.

fatman57 05-03-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidashley25 (Post 172822)
does it cause higher voltage?

in laymans terms it should create higher voltage at a much lower current but as explained above there are reasons it shouldn't/wouldn't work......

electric motors running on higher voltage is MUCH better than a lower voltage with higher amps...............the brief idea here being use only a few batteries (say 4 which is what you will get into most cars) then convert to a higher voltage to run your motor.

ShadeTreeMech 05-03-2010 09:24 PM

It may be cheaper and more efficient to get more batteries, which wouldn't need to be large ones, mind you. And i do believe you could step up the voltage, but you would lose efficiency through the transformer. 12 volt batteries come in all sorts of shapes and sizes--motorcyle batteries are quite small.

With higher voltage, though, you would be hard pressed to find an inexpensive motor controller, unless you went with an AC motor, if I'm not mistaken. Most of the OEM plug ins use an AC motor and run around 300v battery voltage.

dcb 05-03-2010 09:51 PM

just to muddy the waters a bit, most of the ac controllers I've seen actually have a coil, for "power factor correction", but the result is that it can bump the 300 volt battery up to 500 volts (with a corresponding drop in current and some losses).

I haven't studied many DC controllers but I haven't seen such a device employed there solely as a boost converter. Though there is certainly appeal in being able to make higher voltage from fewer large and cheaper batteries, I don't know what the tradeoffs are exactly. Bet someone here does though :)

gone-ot 05-04-2010 10:29 AM

...inductor "stores" energy in an electromagnetic field

...capacitor "stores" energy in an electrostatic field.

...resistor does NOT "store" energy, it can only "dissipate" it.

...only AC-voltage can be "stepped-UP/DOWN"

...but, DC-voltage can be "converted" into AC-voltage (but always at a loss).

ShadeTreeMech 05-08-2010 12:50 PM

not to try to start an argument, but if dc can't be stepped up/down, what is a dc/dc convertor? or a cell phone car charger?