EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Collision: SMART vs. Suburban (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/collision-smart-vs-suburban-10224.html)

RH77 09-17-2009 05:12 PM

Collision: SMART vs. Suburban

I just got back from running some errands at the local "outdoor mall complex" and witnessed an accident.

I was getting ready to enter one of the main streets from the parking area when a SMART car, in front of me, was making a left turn. I watched the whole thing unfold (and consequently hit the brakes hard. There went the coffee -- least of my concerns at that point).

The SMART driver pulled in front of a late-model Suburban and took the impact at the drivers front corner and fender, into the center bumper and grille of the Chevy. After braking, I estimate the truck to have been going about 10-15 mph, with the Smart at less than 5 mph.

It was really interesting. The safety cage in the SMART did it's job excellently. I jumped out and was able to open the driver's door without a problem. Both occupants were belted, no airbag deployment, no immediate medical concerns.

The corner deformed and the car slid (in my direction). The rigid structure remained intact. Barring any suspension damage, the car could be pieced back together or even drivable today (after pulling the plastic fender piece back). The truck was hissing -- likely the A/C condenser leaking refrigerant. With the mid-mounted engine on the Smart, there wasn't much up there to damage. The radiator even made it! The cars could be pulled apart, but the truck's tow-hook was stuck in the Smart's front tire.

I stuck around long enough to give my statement and make sure there wasn't any delayed shock or other problems, and left.

If I had made the same mistake, it would have totaled Teggy for sure. I'm confident that both vehicles will be on the road again soon. I really have to hand it to the SMART engineers for the added safety despite the vehicle's size, and the simple, component-part repair process.

RH77

IsaacCarlson 09-17-2009 05:18 PM

glad to hear nobody was hurt. I guess the amart isn't called smart for nothing.

good thing you stayed out of it. Maybe the smart driver (haha no pun intended) was trying to save gas by cutting it (too) close?

SVOboy 09-17-2009 06:39 PM

You need to drive around with a camera on the dash, Rick :p

dcb 09-17-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson (Post 128303)
...Maybe the smart driver (haha no pun intended) was trying to save gas by cutting it (too) close?

Nah, suburban driver probably entered the intersection right after it turned red cuz he was too busy playing with his new lockup/transmission switches ;)

IsaacCarlson 09-17-2009 09:20 PM

That comment wouldn't be aimed at anyone in particular would it? HAHAHA

:D:turtle:

RH77 09-17-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 128319)
You need to drive around with a camera on the dash, Rick :p

No joke. I come across this stuff all the time (for some reason). One summer I came across 3 accidents, as they happened, on I-70 to St. Louis. I still carry some of my Medic gear just for that purpose.

The severe weather I stumble upon would be enough (I tracked and reported this tornado on my way to Sioux City, and came across the scene in the article header). I didn't know it was a camp until I got to the hotel later that night.

Anyway, there are no lights in this mall setup, just clogged entrances and exits, with inside main roads that lead to some big-box chain parking lots and smaller lots in an inner-circle with a square of more shops. Everyone thinks they have the right-of-way. It's generally chaos.

The Suburban driver had the right of way. She acted as fast as she could, but that's a lot of momentum to get stopped and the SMART driver just pulled right out. It was brand new too (ouch). But a safe purchase nonetheless.

If I'm going to be doing this live dash-cam streaming gig, I'm going to need some sponsors :p

RH77

Peter7307 09-18-2009 04:32 AM

Glad to hear the damage was confined to panels and not people.

Got a weird image in my head...close up on the inside of the Suburban as it impacts the Smart...occupants jossled a little and the driver makes a comment...

"Dang , Ethyl. 'Nother one a them damn pesky speed humps.
I swear they're getting bigger"

Sorry...just had to get that out.

Cheers , Pete.

zjrog 09-18-2009 11:32 AM

^^
Haha!!!

hamsterpower 09-18-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter7307 (Post 128439)
"Dang , Ethyl. 'Nother one a them damn pesky speed humps.
I swear they're getting bigger"

Obscure reference: Patrick Swazey in Black Dog, driving the big rig down a mountain hits a pot hole and is asked "what was that?" ..."A Mazda"

Christ 09-18-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsterpower (Post 128467)
Obscure reference: Patrick Swazey in Black Dog, driving the big rig down a mountain hits a pot hole and is asked "what was that?" ..."A Mazda"

ROFL. I wish I had the software to make audible clips... I'd so post that scene.