EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Commercial sneeze guards (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/commercial-sneeze-guards-38509.html)

Xist 07-29-2020 08:55 PM

Commercial sneeze guards

A speech therapist expressed concern returning to school and working with little germ spreaders. Someone told her to buy several of these $70 32"x24" pieces of acrylic.
Home Depot sells 1/4" thick 4'x8' sheets for $217, so if people needed six they could buy one sheet, make three cuts, and be out $31.17 each, plus cross members.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086WPG1VX..._w.GiFbZBBN7C2

oil pan 4 07-30-2020 12:12 AM

I feel like most the teachers just don't want to go back to work and want to just keep getting paid.

redpoint5 07-30-2020 12:24 AM

There were hundreds of cars in a conga line in Salem; most of which had something about 14 days painted on the windows. I have no idea what that means and I don’t care. The basic tenant of work is you either agree to the terms and work, or you don’t, and you don’t.

Xist 07-30-2020 12:26 AM

So much pay!

Our spring break was extended a second week and then the teachers taught on-line. I am not a teacher and I have not taught on-line, but I can tell you that teletherapy is 0% easier than conducting therapy in-person.

Xist 07-30-2020 01:23 AM

Before you guys get yet another thread locked, do you think that it would even take five minutes to make your own sneeze guard, while you would probably need to wait a month for a $70 one to ship from China?

redpoint5 07-30-2020 01:45 AM

There’s nothing controversial about refusing to work, and then not getting paid. Lock that if you will.

(I still don’t know what the protest was, and I still don’t care because whatever it is, it’s not reasonable).

Xist 07-30-2020 09:39 AM

If you do not know what the protest was you have no way of determining that it was unreasonable.

Piotrsko 07-30-2020 10:15 AM

Home depot wants too much for the convenience of a part sheet of acrylic, I have bought bigger part sheets as falls from a distributor for significantly less $$ per sqft.

Xist 07-30-2020 11:17 AM

Sweet! Where?

redpoint5 07-30-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 628882)
If you do not know what the protest was you have no way of determining that it was unreasonable.

True, but if past protesting is any indication, it's something unreasonable.

...and now I had to look it up to confirm the absurdity. The "14 days" was a demand that there be no Covid cases in Oregon for 14 days to signal an opening of schools.

That's similar to demanding there be no flu cases in Oregon before schools open. It's never going to happen.

Xist 07-30-2020 11:31 AM

You protest protests?

redpoint5 07-30-2020 02:00 PM

No, that's counter-protesting. I merely observe complaints and evaluate them for reasonableness, and offer my comments.

JSH 07-30-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 628855)
A speech therapist expressed concern returning to school and working with little germ spreaders. Someone told her to buy several of these $70 32"x24" pieces of acrylic.
Home Depot sells 1/4" thick 4'x8' sheets for $217, so if people needed six they could buy one sheet, make three cuts, and be out $31.17 each, plus cross members.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086WPG1VX..._w.GiFbZBBN7C2

We know know that sneeze guards are mostly useless. The biggest threat is a bunch of people in a confined room with little air flow. That is a text book description of every classroom I've been in.

Xist 07-30-2020 06:31 PM

Source?

JSH 07-30-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 628904)
Source?

We exhale droplets every time we breath or talk. They can hang in the air for hours. That is plenty of time to migrate to the other side of a sneeze guard.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02058-1

"Many researchers concerned about airborne transmission point to the example of a fateful choir rehearsal that took place an hour’s drive from Seattle, Washington, on 10 March. Sixty-one members of the Skagit Valley Chorale gathered for a practice that lasted two and a half hours. Despite there being hand sanitizer at the door, and choir members refraining from hugs and handshakes, at least 33 choristers contracted SARS-CoV-2, and 2 eventually died. Investigators concluded that the virus could have spread in aerosols produced by singing, and a ‘super-emitter’ who produced more aerosol particles than is typical, although they couldn’t rule out transmission through objects or large droplets3.

But Morawska has modelled the conditions in the rehearsal hall, and says there is no need to invoke the idea of a superspreader4. Inadequate ventilation, the long exposure time and the singing were sufficient to explain the number of people who became infected. And no amount of ventilation could have reduced the risk to an acceptable level for the two-and-a-half-hour rehearsal, she says".

Xist 07-30-2020 08:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did anyone see people claiming that you could make beef jerky without heat, just using two box fans and two paper air filters?

I could not find paper air filters then and I cannot find them now. Nobody who likes you would recommend using fiberglass air filters, but I have wondered: If you duct-tape a 20x20 MERV 12 filter to a box fan, how much air would actually go through the filter? The thing is pleated like crazy, which was my idea when people started making their own masks. A good mask is restrictive!

Pleat it!

How much air would go around the filter?

I would like to see the math on holding choir practice on a hill on a windy day. I am pretty sure that you are still doomed. How about a field on a hill on a windy day? How far apart do you need to stand if you are singing?

How much more at-risk are people on the leeward side versus the windward side?

I got it! Hollywood Squares had the answer all along!
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1596155407
Only you need really deep squares! Stack 40' conexes, have the singers stand in the back with a light, and have the director stand on a platform that is half as tall as the conex stack and far enough to see everyone!

Why isn't every choir doing this?!
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1596155821

Piotrsko 07-31-2020 10:29 AM

Alton Brown,season 2 good eats does the boxfan jerky with furnace filters. Pressure drop through a new pleated filter is pretty negligible.

Xist 07-31-2020 11:27 AM

From what I can tell the paper filters are the pleated ones. Are they really paper? Who knows?!

I may need to get my box fans out of storage!

Ecky 07-31-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 628878)
There’s nothing controversial about refusing to work, and then not getting paid. Lock that if you will.

(I still don’t know what the protest was, and I still don’t care because whatever it is, it’s not reasonable).

I generally agree with 99% of your thoughts/ideas, and I'm taking this slightly out of context, but I'm choosing to latch onto this statement. ;)

I'd argue it's not so simple. I can think of (extreme, exaggerated, hypothetical) circumstances where one might convince someone to "willingly" go to work every morning even if they had to play six chamber Russian roulette every time they arrive. With a big enough carrot or a big enough stick, you can get people to do anything.

Sometimes the stick and carrot are a virus which is perceived to be deadly (right or wrong) and the perceived need to receive a paycheck, be it to feed one's children or to not have one's home forclosed on. And sometimes, it's in everyone's best interest not to just walk away from the table, but instead to make a stink about things in hopes of having the rules changed.

I sincerely doubt many people are really expecting not to work at all until there have been 14 days of zero C-19 cases. I doubt that's the point of the protests, and I also doubt the outcome will be either extreme of 1) teachers going back to work as-is, or 2) teachers walking away from their jobs.

Xist 07-31-2020 09:27 PM

The charter school had a teacher tell me that I need to call my old supervisor if I want my job back.
"Does everyone need to confirm their employment?"
"They signed their contact."
"I signed mine almost two weeks ago!"
I signed and if they want a good teletherapist then I am happy to help, but I am not participating in The Hunger Games and I am not going out of my way to start a job it may be unsafe to keep.
Why are they playing telephone?

Some SLPA claimed that children cannot give coronavirus to adults and said that she would explain. "Children cannot give coronavirus to adults."

She advertises being intelligent, but that wasn't an explanation!

I asked for a source and she asked if I wanted one.

How many times am I supposed to ask?!

Piotrsko, where did you order your acrylic?

Piotrsko 08-01-2020 09:33 AM

I get it from my wifes former place of work, a plastic parts manufacturer but I have to be flexible as to what's in their scrap bin. Used to buy it from online places that advertised " falls"(remnants), I think one was called San Diego plastics. You may have to go to an equivalent place in Phoenix because shipping is pricey.