EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Commercially produced aerodynamic pickup bed cap (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/commercially-produced-aerodynamic-pickup-bed-cap-583.html)

MetroMPG 01-08-2008 05:33 PM

Commercially produced aerodynamic pickup bed cap

2 Attachment(s)
I've sent a message to the guy who made this to see if he'll come talk about it here. As far as I know, he's only done this Ford F-150 version so far.

Nice workmanship...

SVOboy 01-08-2008 05:41 PM

Very cool. Hopefully he'll come talk about it with us! It's the beginning of ecomodding becoming kewl.

igo 01-08-2008 05:58 PM

Metro, so this guy is selling these? Is there a link online?

I give that cap two thumps up!

MetroMPG 01-08-2008 06:04 PM

As far as I know, they're not for sale yet. Last I heard, he was looking for F-150 owners to test them.

No website that I can find - he posted to the MaxMPG group several months back, but hasn't yet answered me there or an e-mail to him.

bondo 01-10-2008 08:32 PM

Aerodynamic truck cap saves 4 mpg!!!!!!!!!!!

Metrompg,

My name is Brett and I am the guy who has built the aero cap you started this post about. First of all, please accept my apology for not answering your email when you tired to contact me earlier. I found your post on a google search today and joined ecomodder right away. I am glad to know there are others out there who want to squeeze every mile out of the gas that goes into our tank that we can. As a nation, we have to do this to reduce our dependency on foriegn oil. As individuals, we must do this to reduce the amount of pollutants our fossil fueled vehicles emit into the atmosphere.

The aerodynamic cap has been exciting and frustrating. The exciting part is it works! This has been proven through wind tunnel testing and road tests. The frustrating part is that I have been unable to obtain the financing to go to the next level.

I have funded the development of the product while working a full time job. My work now takes me out of state and I must put the aero cap on hold for six months to a year. I would much rather set up production of the cap but I have to pay the bills.

I tried to gain funding through the government. Nothing! I emailed my Senator on the matter four times and got no response. I emailed him a fifth time asking where I might send a campaign contribution to? I got a response to that email in less that 24 hours!

Sorry I am getting political but I am frustrated by the politicians who loudly say we must develop more fuel efficient vehicles to reduce our dependence on foriegn oil. They need to put their money where their mouth is!

There are millions of trucks in the US all of which could have improved fuel efficiency by installing an aero cap over the bed of the pickup. This would save millions of gallons of gas a day! But this will take a large production capacity which will takes millions to set up and get running. While my brother was in Iraq in 2004, he was shown a duffle bag with 2.1 million dollars in it in $100,000 dollar stacks. These were called footballs. The money was passed out to Iraqi citizens to help them start businesses to shore up the economy in Iraq. True story, it was on 60 minutes. There is over 3 billion dollars that is now unaccouted for.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but the well being of the United States at heart and would give my life for this country, as my little brother almost did. You have to think about how much could be done to reduce our reliance on foriegn oil if some of that 3 billion dollars would have been made available to folks like me and to others, who are probably even more deserving, who are developing fuel saving technologies on a shoe string budget.

The biggest irony is that I have to take the job out of state so I can pay the taxes from 2007 which will be due in April, because I used the money I should have been paying in to the I.R.S. quarterly for taxes, to develop the aero cap. You see my frustration.

Sorry to be so long winded. Oh by the way my truck went from a baseline of 18 mpg average on the freeway to 22 mpg. Combined went from 16 mpg to 17.7 mpg. You can see how much fuel a pickup truck owner could save. You can see how much the millions of pickup truck owners in this country would save if they had an aero cap. So when you vote for your candidate of choice, I hope when they say we need to reduce our dependency on foriegn oil, they are not just spewing forth campaign rhetoric.

I am honored to be in the company of those who pursue fuel efficieny,

Brett Herndon
Little Rock, Arkansas

MetroMPG 01-10-2008 08:45 PM

Hi Brett -

Sorry to hear you've run into a dead end on the route you were pursuing. Obviously you're passionate about the potential of what you've done - and the results speak for themselves.

I'm sure you've already considered making a small run on your own and marketing them directly to your target audience. (I noticed you built your prototype cap on the best selling pickup in North America - I figured that was the reason.)

Out of curiosity, how many have you made?

Darin

SVOboy 01-10-2008 08:57 PM

Brett -

Great to have you here! Have you talked to any dealerships or speciality shops about your bed cap? It looks very professional and I would definately sport one if I had a truck.

-ben

MetroMPG 01-10-2008 09:15 PM

I just did some quick calcs, based on driving 15,000 miles per year:

BEFORE: without the cap, at your original "combined" mileage of 16 mpg
  • 937.5 gallons = how much gas used to cover that distance
  • $2812.50 = cost @ $3.00 / gal.
AFTER: with the aero cap and your improved combined mileage of 17.7 mpg ...
  • 847.5 gallons of fuel burned
  • $2542.37 = total cost @ $3 / gal.
That's a savings of 90 gallons, or $270

If all the driving is all highway based, going from 18 to 22 mpg the savings become 151.5 gal., and almost $455!

Talk about a good ROI. You'd think truck owners would go for that.

Amory Lovins would sure approve.

bennelson 01-10-2008 09:16 PM

I figured out why I love this cap!

It turns your pickup into a giant hatchback!

bondo 01-10-2008 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Darin,

I have made two with one in the mold. I intend to do a test market this fall after my contract is up. Glad I found ecomodders and thanks for posting the pics of the aero cap. I submit a couple more pictures of two other configurations the cap can be driven in. Aerodynamics go to pot but after you haul tall cargo or camp out you can change it back to the aero configuration.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Thanks Ben for the compliment. I hope if you do get a pickup truck in the future, the aero cap will be available to you.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Thanks for crunching the numbers. I have so many times too. If I had the money now I would be under way. Maybe something will break, but for now, the tax man cometh!

AndrewJ 01-10-2008 10:38 PM

Nice!!!

Really nice work Brett! I love that you took the time to think out the other two configurations to make it more practical. Have you thought about patenting it and licensing it to a bigger bed cap maker?

newtonsfirstlaw 01-10-2008 11:04 PM

I think a lot of us have thought of commercializing this sort of thing, my hat off to you for taking it further!

DifferentPointofView 01-10-2008 11:25 PM

NIIIIIIICCCE. If I had something with a tailgate then I'd definitely go for one of those. how much have you invested into this project?

bestmapman 01-10-2008 11:32 PM

That is really a nice set up.

Having been there done that, you can't expect any help from the government. In fact the government is your enemy if you are starting a business. But don't fret, you have made the first step by making the first one.

Remember this always. Your business is not about your product it is about the SALES of your product. You need to go get some orders from a supplier or distributor and then work like a dog to fill those orders.

On a different subject, what is it made of. I think it is a great design.

bondo 01-11-2008 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I appreciate all the compliments on the aero cap. I am a clay modeler by trade having worked in Ford design. I enjoy sculpting the clay and have done fiberglass work since I was 16. The cap is made of Fiberglass. The prototype has held up very well with no destortion of surfaces due to solar heating in summer or freezing temperatures in winter.

AndrewJ I the patent is pending and I went to the SEMA show in Vegas back in November. I met with several manufacturers hoping to get a licensing agreement. The main company I wanted to deal with was interested but they want sales figures. They are aware of how much money it takes to set up even limited production and were unwilling to take the risk at this time with thier sales way down. The development of the cap has put me in debt. Without capital, my hands are presently tied.

Bestmapman, my hat is off to you for having been there and done that. You know well about capitalization and cash flow. I don't know what your product is you have developed but I hope you profit margin is high. One problem with an aftermarket product like the aerolid is a low profit margin. Your money is made in volume. This stretches your break even point out into the future a good while. I was going to second mortgage the house for the money but my wife said no. You are right about having to work like a dog. I am used to that. Here is a pic of me and an aircraft mockup I finished recently which I fiberglassed the nose and cockpit and surfaced single handedly in less than three weeks.

If I had the funds to get the aero lid to market this dog would be on the job. Thanks you all again for your replys and compliments. I am by no means giving up!

Brett

XFi 01-11-2008 01:19 PM

Compliments to the creator! What a great idea...the weather proof tilt up cargo option with the canvas/vinyl expansion. Don't let that one get away...it's a winner!

igo 01-11-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFi (Post 5003)
Compliments to the creator! What a great idea...the weather proof tilt up cargo option with the canvas/vinyl expansion. Don't let that one get away...it's a winner!

The ability to pop it up when holding larger loads is key. That way people will have have no major objections to it.

Save hundreds of $$$ per year:thumbup:
Still able to hold a refrigerator if you need to :thumbup:

cfg83 01-11-2008 05:44 PM

XFi -

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFi (Post 5003)

I agree that this was an ingenious design option. The best of all worlds. Accordian players will want them as status symbols, :D .

Brett -

I understand your frustration and thank you for your effort. The aesthetics are gorgeous!

CarloSW2

bondo 01-11-2008 05:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Again let me thank you for the many compliments. This aspect of the aero cap, that it can be changed into a more utilitarian configuration, was a major concern. Many pickup truck owners have camper shells, or caps, on their trucks. A regular camper shell actually has a worse coefficient of drag than a truck with nothing over the bed at all. This is due to the squared off end of the camper and tailgate combining to create a large low pressure area behind the truck as it moves through the atmosphere.

An open bed will at least produce a "bubble" of air which tricks air above it in the boundary layer to flow over the "bubble". However, a large turbulent wake is still produced. A bed cover, or tonneau, is more aerodynamic that an open bed but cargo space is limited and you can't camp in it.

With the aero cap you can have the most aerodynamic configuration of all while having the flexibility to haul larger cargo or haul the pups or camp in it.

I had developed and patented another product almost ten years ago now, US pat.# 5,951,095. It was basically a gimmick and was to complex to manufacture. However, I did learn about how to make something change configuration and how to make it simple to manufacture. I include some pics of the old product. Basically it was a tonneau cover which could be converted into a camper shell configuration. It was fully roadable in the raised position but it was an aerodynamic nightmare as far as Cd is concerned while in the raised position.

Thanks again for all the responses and I am again honored to be in such good company,

Brett

MetroMPG 01-11-2008 06:38 PM

I continue to be impressed with your creativity.

Pickup truck origami.

bondo 01-11-2008 07:29 PM

$

bibo 01-15-2008 03:10 PM

Financials

Brett,
I'd be interested in knowing more about your guess as to the financial behind the product. Start-up cost, cost to build, raw materials, volumes, etc. I know somebody who may be interested in investing.

David

bondo 01-15-2008 04:24 PM

Hi David,

I am presently working on a business plan. I would be interested in talking to the angel you speak of. I don't feel comfortable giving cost figures and such out on the web. I will contact you via private message.

I sincerely appreciate your and their interest.

Brett

jazzie604 01-15-2008 06:04 PM

Brett, that thing looks really good. As a side note, I think you should look into some way to also open the sides to allow access that way as well. Just another set of hinges to allow it to flip up should be all thats necessary.

feel free to pm me where to send a check for that lovely design concept ;) just kidding.
though I think it would help with the sales.

WaxyChicken 01-17-2008 08:57 PM

Google for "Angel Investors" these are rich people with money and nothing to spend it on. They will listen to proposels from various new inventors and small business owners and consider putting up the front money for projects.

I know some in my area. I'm saving their contact info incase i ever actually finish one of my inventions.

This is what i mean by the "Wife Test".
Quote:

Originally Posted by bondo (Post 4976)
I was going to second mortgage the house for the money but my wife said no.

Rather than saying the wife said 'No' you say "I had a funding plan, but it failed the 'wife test'. "
:D

bondo 01-17-2008 09:53 PM

Sounds like you have been there with the "Wife Test" Waxy. Thanks for the info on the angel investors. I will check it out. Good luck on your inventions!

elhigh 01-18-2008 12:15 PM

Handsome work. I really like the way you were able to close up the gap from cab to cap; that's a chafing point with me. I have a smoothie cap on my Toyota, that matches the height of my roofline but continues level back to the end of the bed.

I intend to replace it with a handmade jobbie that will slope as yours does, but also taper in from the sides more, to ease in the airflow from the sides as well.

It may look like hell, because it will be my first fiberglass project, but none of the contours are especially complex, so I think it ought to come out looking pretty good.

Hey - it's obvious you're pretty good at this fiberglass stuff...I bet you could whistle up some factory-quality fender skirts for the rear wheels.

Big Dave 01-18-2008 08:55 PM

Beautiful work, Bondo.

I wish mine was that professionally done.

http://www.fokisd.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=508

bondo 01-18-2008 09:21 PM

Nice job Big Dave! Love to know what type of mileage you are getting. Your truck is almost identical to one done in an Engineering thesis by a Naval Officer Capt. Nathan Williams. Lots of CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). It is long but a good read and worth the paper and ink to print it. I'll email you the link.

Thanks,

Brett

Big Dave 01-18-2008 09:28 PM

In the winter (now) I get just a shade under 25 MPG. In summer, I have been pushing 27 MPG. I think I can get 30.

bennelson 01-19-2008 10:59 AM

Hey Big Dave,

I like the fastback. Is that rubber roofing you used? I was thinking about doing the same thing, but using a material like coroplast, and making it flip up.

-Ben

Big Dave 01-19-2008 01:49 PM

The material is rubber stair runner with the back side showing. I needed something that was flexible in two axes (fairing has some complex curves) and it happened to be laying around my garage.

It has worked better than I thought. I needed it for six weeks and it has lasted nearly three years.

WaxyChicken 01-22-2008 01:44 PM

Just a thought...

Just a thought - but i just now realized that you don't have a conversion mode for with the tailgate down (if you do then i must of missed it). it would add to the options for the canopy

Chris D. 01-26-2008 07:14 AM

Very cool stuff..

I just joined the site trying to find ideas on how to get the most out of my Toyota Tacoma truck..

when I first got it I was pullin 26.5mph on average..
I then lowered it and dumped quite a bit of weight in the wheels going from a 25lb wheel to a 13.9lb wheel..

I made a trip to LA from the Bay Area (300 miles?) and with the a/c on the whole way i averaged 28.5mph..

I modified my driving habits and read about winding out in 5th and having more excessive throttle position vs poppin it down a gear and using let throttle position but with more rpm's.

It definatly helped me in the grapevine :)

Bondo, I dig the areo lid design.. excellent!

I'm going to start looking for a used campershell to mod.. :)

bondo 01-26-2008 11:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Chris D.,

Finding an existing camper shell to modify is a good idea. My first aero cap was done this way. I cut out the roof, except for about a foot of the forward section close to the cab roof, and then cut the sides at an angle. I include some pictures of it, one next to the clay model of my present lid. Study that picture. Notice the roof of white one, the one I made from a camper shell, has an abrupt change in angle from the roof of the cab down related to the roof of the early aero cap. This is because I used the roof of the camper I cut up for the roof of the aero cap. This made the roof too flat for an optimum aerodynamic shape, causing the air to separate from the surface of the modified aerolid too soon, causing drag. This resulted in only a slight improvement in fuel efficiency.

I want you to know this so when you make your lid, don't use the roof of the camper you plan to modify. Cut the sides of it down at an angle and then cover the open roof with 3/8 inch plywood built upon a framework which will cause the plywood to curve some so the airflow will be better for you. You want to construct it to where the perimeter of the ply wood roof is flush to the lower camper shell you have cut at an angle on the sides. You can then use 3M brand masking tape to fill the seams and gaps and then wax it all with a special wax you can get from fiberglass suppliers. Also mask and tape off the camper part underneath because you are about to lay up fiberglass and it will get all over it. Wax the plywood at least fours times, wax on wax off. Then paint or spray the waxed plywood with PVA which is available at fiberglass supplier. Allow this to dry completely.

If you are not familiar with fiberglass, see if you can find someone who is. It is not that hard to do but fiberglass can be very messy and dangerous. You them want to lay up 6 layers of 1.5 ounce fiberglass mat over the plywood. Do one layer at a time wetting it out and rolling out the air bubbles with rollers. Best to use 1/2 inch by three inch rollers avilable at fiberglass supplier. After fiberglass cures, brace it up with a plywood frame before you release it from the plywood roof you have just cast. Glass the plywood frame in place with strips of the 1.5oz fiberglass mat.

Next pull the new fiberglass cast off of the waxed plywood curved roof. This is your mold. From this you can cast your new aerodynamic roof for the modification of the camper shell. Be sure to wax the surface of the new mold several times and paint or spary on PVA and let it dry before you cast the roof which should be 4 layers of 1.5 oz mat or 2 layers 1.5 oz mat one layer coremat and one last layer of 1.5oz. Let cure and strengthen up roof by glassing in 1/2 inch thick urethane foam. This is best done by cutting a center strip of foam flanked by a right and left strip of foam which continiunes the full length of the roof in the inside. Stop the center section a bit sooner if you plan to install a rear window. After it is braced, pull the cured roof from the mold and cut to fit the lower camper part. Finish the top with bondo and surface prime and paint. You may want to install hinges so you can raise your roof. Hydraulic struts are good too, but you need to make sure they are mounted at the right point and there is suficient structure to handle the stored enery of the struts.

I know this sounds like an impossible task, but it can be done if a dumb old country boy like me can do it. It would be wise to enlist the help of someone who has done fiberglass and mold making if you yourself have limited experience.

I submit one last photo of a flow visualization test of my lid with tufts of yarn. It shows attached air all the way down the roof of the aero cap. This is what you want to accomplish. Your reward will be enjoying the fuel savings.

Best of luck to you and I hope this has been helpful.

Brett

PS - If anyone drives a 1997 to 2004 F-150 with a spacecab and a 6.5 foot bed, if you want the old aero cap I will give it to you, You'll just have to come get it in Arkansas.

johnpr 01-30-2008 11:39 AM

i would like to make something like that for my 2 door jeep wrangler, hmm i dont think it would look bad on there, anythoughts?

Chris D. 01-30-2008 09:22 PM

I'd think theres too steep of an angle for the transition..

maybe a fiberglass hardtop would work..

DifferentPointofView 01-31-2008 07:54 PM

What year is your wrangler BTW?

johnpr 02-01-2008 10:03 PM

it a 2002, ive been thinking about making a top with a slight angle because as previously mentioned by chris it would probably be to steep of an angle. im going to have to take measurements sometime and see where a 10-11 degree slope would end up.... hmmm thoughts thoughts
john

MetroMPG 02-02-2008 06:36 AM

A couple of posts were lost in this thread due to the Diggsasterous server meltdown that happened on Thursday.

I'm reposting them here. The first was from me, and I was simply passing on a compliment to Brett:

-----

Wow. First I was simply impressed with the quality of your work and your understanding of the issues at hand. Then with your willingness to share information with others who are considering DIY versions of your professional looking cap. But now you're giving away a prototype? Amazing!

You've got a lot of wheels turning in a lot of people's heads. I'm glad you signed up here to share your knowledge.

cheers!
Darin