EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Complaint about cost of service (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/complaint-about-cost-service-28622.html)

Joggernot 04-02-2014 02:55 PM

Complaint about cost of service

This got to me today for a repair to a door...:(

Two hours of labor at dealer $234
Assume mechanic gets $50/hour $100
Extra dealer profit/overhead $134 134%

If the dealer's overhead is really 134% I need to find some other
place to get the work done. This doesn't include the "shop fee" of $20, so it is actually more than 134%.

I wanted the dealer to do the work for warranty, but I can pay my own way for this cost or learn more on DIY. This work called for a special tool, which I didn't have...of course.

mikeyjd 04-02-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joggernot (Post 418459)

place to get the work done. This doesn't include the "shop fee" of $20, so it is actually more than 134%.

I wanted the dealer to do the work for warranty, but I can pay my own way for this cost or learn more on DIY. This work called for a special tool, which I didn't have...of course.

I had a timing belt kit done at a Volvo dealer done about 4 years back, I was there while they did it and it was ready to go in less then 2 hours. It cost me just under a grand and the kit itself was less than $200...

KrautBurner 04-02-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

assuming that a mechanic gets $50/Hr is crazy

but,
keep in mind:
the shop, "It's a business, it ain't UNICEF"
not in the market of giving stuff away to feel good

overhead is kinda hard to caclulate on a job by job basis

but,
in adition to the $20-30/hr the mechanic is getting (probably 8 hours/day, even tho your work was only 2 hours) the business has to pay L&I, and other Benifits (dont get me started on ObamaCare)
as wel as other insurances, tools, rent, etc...

I'm by no means saying that $117/hr for labor is OK in my book
but, dont assume the guy doing the work is getting that much
or that even the company overall is pocketing all that much.

check around,
even the small shops are probably charging $80-90/hr

Fat Charlie 04-02-2014 04:01 PM

$117 an hour is steep, even for a dealer. But ideally you get top notch diag out of it and quality work with a lot of support- like the tech having that expensive special tool available and being familiar with how to use it, and having a fully stocked parts room right behind the shop to back them up. A good service writer costs money, the cashier costs money, the big lot and the huge sign out front cost money...

The dealership I'm at charges $94 or $95.

gone-ot 04-02-2014 04:47 PM

__$1.00 to "whack" side of TV set
$100.00 for KNOWING exactly where to whack TV set.
$101.00 TOTAL BILL

cbaber 04-02-2014 10:33 PM

Was this the Honda or Toyota? And what was the repair that required a "special tool"?

If you want to learn more DIY tasks, YouTube and the forums for your cars are great resources. You can literally learn to do any repair. The vehicles service manual is also a great resource, you can find it free online. Especially your Honda, they have step by step instructions for doing everything from engine removal to brake work. Some of the special tools you can rent for free at AutoZone. You pay a deposit and get it back when you return the tool.

It's a great way to save money and learn about your car.

XYZ 04-02-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

If the dealer\'s overhead is really 134% I need to find some other
place to get the work done.

Yes, you do. The cars you listed are between 10-14 years old. Whatever tool that was necessary is not an exotic item any more.
Quote:

This doesn\'t include the "shop fee" of $20, so it is actually more than 134%.

I wanted the dealer to do the work for warranty, but I can pay my own way for this cost or learn more on DIY. This work called for a special tool, which I didn\'t have...of course.
Obviously the stealership wasn\'t about to do warranty work on a car that old. Who\'s kidding whom? You could have walked away, but you didn\'t. :confused:

Any experienced body shop should be able to repair whatever was wrong with your door for a fraction of that cost. However, the choice was yours to make.

Mista Bone 04-02-2014 11:14 PM

How much does the mechanic spend a month on tools needed to do his job?

What is the rent/power/sewage/trash/oil disposal the shop is paying a month?

That "free" car wash isn\'t free.

user removed 04-02-2014 11:21 PM

By the same logic, the better I get at diagnosing and repairing the problem, the lower my compensation should be. One of my techs dropped the tranny out of a 93 300 ZX turbo. It was a 6 hour job, the whole exhaust had to come out. I tossed the flywheel in my truck and drove 6 miles to the machine shop and the flywheel was too hot to machine when I got there. Knew a tech who could drop a VW engine in 2 minutes and install it in 3.5minutes.

regards
Mech

Ryland 04-03-2014 12:14 AM

Dealers also tend to provide good service, so while it "only" took two hours, how much of their time did you take up? and how much time is taken up by people like me who will just ask question and get great service!