EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Considering a 2020 Ioniq EV (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/considering-2020-ioniq-ev-38149.html)

redpoint5 02-04-2020 11:55 AM

Considering a 2020 Ioniq EV

As some people know, my intention since joining this forum has been to eventually purchase an EV. I don't buy cars often, and I don't buy them new.

I sold the 2012 Prius Plug-in to a friend to make room in my wife's mind for another vehicle. Recently, used Model S prices have come down a little, but my wife doesn't want the associated image, and it's still more than I'd like to spend on a vehicle.

Somehow all this time I've ignored the Ioniq from Hyundai. The Kia Niro and Hyundai Kona get all the attention and have a bit more range and cost a bit more. The 2020 Ioniq gets a bump of about 10 kWh more than the 2017-2019, bringing the range to 170 miles, which is just about the sweet spot for my needs. Apparently that newfound range came at the expense of DCFC rate, with the older model capable of charging faster. Not an issue with me since I intend to (almost) never charge mid-trip.

Apparently the other change made to the 2020 Ioniq is liquid cooling/heating for the battery. The previous version was aircooled from cabin air similar to how a Prius manages the battery. Also, horsepower is up from a previous of 118, to 134. The MSRP increases by $2,755 which is very disappointing, but perhaps there will be discounting later on. The out the door MSRP for the base is $34,000 which seems quite steep to me for a 170 mile range vehicle.

Wondering if @NeilBlanchard has had a chance to drive one yet? He's a wealth of practical EV knowledge. Previously I was thinking a used Chevy Bolt was going to be my next purchase, but I'm contemplating new since it qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit and the Oregon $2,500 rebate.

With a variety of "affordable" EVs available now, this might be the year I finally take the plunge.

https://images.hgmsites.net/hug/2020...00724689_h.jpg

https://content.autotrader.com/conte...-Ioniq-(9).jpg

https://cdn1.carbuyer.co.uk/sites/ca...?itok=KDTQijVp

ldjessee00 02-04-2020 04:42 PM

As a Leaf owner, I am jealous of the extra range this car would have. Especially in the winter when the usable range is more like 70-80.

The active thermal management should also improve the longevity of the car compared to my Leaf. Also you will pay less new than the sticker was on my Leaf... If I had not gotten a huge discount from a deal between my power company and Nissan, I would have not bought a new Leaf, but a used one. Maybe check your power company if they have any deals on EVs?

Good luck and let us know what you decide or are considering. The Ioniq EV looks good.

cowmeat 02-04-2020 05:25 PM

I'll end up going to a full EV if I have any more issues with the Volt, and the Ioniq is the one that comes to mind out of the pack of them. The thermal protection is more Volt-like on the new one, that's a plus.

For now I'm sticking with the Volt though, since I've put about 1500 miles on it after the new transmission got installed with no issues so far. Since I rarely use it for anything other than my daily work commute it might as well be a straight-up EV anyway

I'll be checking in on this thread regularly to see if anybody gets any real world feel for the Ioniq

redpoint5 02-04-2020 05:38 PM

Bjorn video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh9n...ature=youtu.be

NeilBlanchard 02-05-2020 10:08 AM

I have not driven any of the Kia / Hyundai EVs. I think the Ioniq Electric is a good choice, as it is close to the highest efficiency EV and it coasts by default. 170 miles is very good for that size pack. Its a hatchback, which would be a must for me.

aerohead 02-05-2020 11:19 AM

Ioniq EV

I believe that the aerodynamics match Tesla.It's a very well-conceived product.The novel corona virus threatens production shutdown in S.Korea,as they're dependent upon Chinese sourcing.Hopefully the global pandemic will fissile.

redpoint5 02-05-2020 11:28 AM

I wonder how cargo space compares to other EVs, or specifically to the Prius I sold? I consider the Prius the minimum volume now that I've seen how quickly it fills up when going on a camping trip with the family.

I'll have to find out more details once people start taking delivery. The 2017-2019 model required BlueLink, a $10/mo subscription service, to preheat the cabin or set the charge limit. These are standard features on most other EVs usually configured in the main screen or activated with a keyfob.

Last night my wife said it "looked nerdy". She said she liked the RAV4 Prime way better. The exterior dimensions of the RAV4 are slightly smaller than the Prius, so that would seem to suggest the interior area is probably not any larger than the Prius.

aerohead 02-05-2020 01:21 PM

nerdy

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616667)
I wonder how cargo space compares to other EVs, or specifically to the Prius I sold? I consider the Prius the minimum volume now that I've seen how quickly it fills up when going on a camping trip with the family.

I'll have to find out more details once people start taking delivery. The 2017-2019 model required BlueLink, a $10/mo subscription service, to preheat the cabin or set the charge limit. These are standard features on most other EVs usually configured in the main screen or activated with a keyfob.

Last night my wife said it "looked nerdy". She said she liked the RAV4 Prime way better. The exterior dimensions of the RAV4 are slightly smaller than the Prius, so that would seem to suggest the interior area is probably not any larger than the Prius.

Ask her if nuclear submarines,NFL footballs, or commercial aircraft look nerdy? The Ioniq will have range the RAV4 could only dream of,all because of the 'look.'

redpoint5 02-05-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 616686)
Ask her if nuclear submarines,NFL footballs, or commercial aircraft look nerdy? The Ioniq will have range the RAV4 could only dream of,all because of the 'look.'

That brings up my interior area question. No doubt the RAV4 is taller, but I don't need to stack things higher generally. The area is what matters to me, and if it's not much different, then I'd go with the Ioniq. I'll have to pay a visit to a toyota dealership (and Hyundai if any carry an Ioniq).

rmay635703 02-05-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616667)

Prius has the most usuable interior volume amongst cars.

Many CUV’s and SUVs don’t have as much room as a Prius

redpoint5 02-05-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 616702)
Prius has the most usuable interior volume amongst cars.

Many CUV’s and SUVs don’t have as much room as a Prius

Yeah, the company CX-5 doesn't seem to be any better utility-wise, and actually seems worse than the Prius despite getting a middling 29 MPG in my hands.

NeilBlanchard 02-06-2020 01:13 PM

Another option would be a used Chevy Bolt EV - 238 mile range, hatchback, taller with excellent entry / exit, and what GM now says they over-designed the battery heating and cooling.

redpoint5 02-06-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 616750)
Another option would be a used Chevy Bolt EV - 238 mile range, hatchback, taller with excellent entry / exit, and what GM now says they over-designed the battery heating and cooling.

I took an hour test drive of one and liked it well enough. The power is nice, but not a high priority considering nothing is fun compared to a sport bike.

Used isn't a good value proposition right now because they still go for ~$24k. That's about what I can get a new one for after all discounts\incentives. My other concern is the small size.

I've pretty well eliminated the Leaf from my list unless there are some crazy good discounts.

The Bolt and Ioniq seem to be highest on my list to buy new. Used I'd probably go with a 2013+ Leaf or Spark EV.

Flakbadger 02-06-2020 01:57 PM

For what it's worth, I just purchased a used '17 Leaf SV and I absolutely love it. The range isn't an issue for me, nor is space. I saw you mentioned taking kids camping, I don't have kids so our needs might be different... But I am thrilled with this car.

I average around 4.2 mi/KWh (first week of ownership), and trickle charge every night. Has worked like a dream. I bought it used with 29k miles on the clock, and paid just a shade over $15,000. Once Oregon's government gets their **** together, I'll get a $2,500 charge ahead rebate too. I'm also selling my trusty old Yaris, which means grand total cost for me will be around $11,000, for something with about 120 miles of range. If we need to drive to Eastern OR to visit family, we'll just take my wife's Fit.

Just something to think about I guess. Best of luck to you.

rmay635703 02-07-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616754)
I took an hour test drive of one and liked it well enough. The power is nice, but not a high priority considering nothing is fun compared to a sport bike.

Used isn't a good value proposition right now because they still go for ~$24k. That's about what I can get a new one for after all discounts\incentives. My other concern is the small size.

The Bolt and Ioniq seem to be highest on my list to buy new. Used I'd probably go with a 2013+ Leaf or Spark EV.

6 months ago before the tax credit died
used Bolts could be had around $14,000

Now they are $20k which is strange.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3768/overview/

redpoint5 02-08-2020 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 616848)
6 months ago before the tax credit died
used Bolts could be had around $14,000

Now they are $20k which is strange.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3768/overview/

I haven't been keeping a very close eye, but I haven't heard of any going for less than about $20. I'd have picked one up anywhere in the country for $14k.

Looking at Cargurus, it looks like the market tanked for the Bolt and hit bottom in October, then rebounded. That price dip may have represented the steep discounting the manufacturer was offering as the 2020 model was set to be released, which got a small boost in range.

Don't know if Cargurus pricing reflects dealer pricing, or private party, but I assume it's dealer.

The most interesting thing is that the 2019 dipped below the value of the 2018 model in August and is just about on par with it now. Don't know how that happened because the models are identical.

Maybe I should be scouring the Bay Area ads for private party vehicles with expired HOV access. I'd love to make an arbitrage business that shuffles CAs undesirable EVs to the hot PDX market.

EDIT: Just found a 2016 spark with 16,000 miles on it advertised for $8,800. The dealer claims to be eligible for the state $2,500 rebate for low income people, so if I could talk them down $300 I might be able to get it for $6k. Seems like a heck of a deal.

EDIT2: Just had another idea; scoop up a used Model S where the owner purchased full self drive and hope Tesla delivers on it someday.

Flakbadger 02-08-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616850)
EDIT2: Just had another idea; scoop up a used Model S where the owner purchased full self drive and hope Tesla delivers on it someday.

One of the dudes at Platt Auto in Milwaukie (where I bought my car from) bought a Model S with a bunch of body damage and a fair amount of miles. He (through working at the dealership) bought it at cost, got the damage repaired, and has a ~200 mile car for, it sounds like, mid 30k range total. I understand that's a bit of a unicorn and maybe unlikely to happen for one of us "civilians" that's not in the business, but it's possible.

redpoint5 02-08-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flakbadger (Post 616863)
One of the dudes at Platt Auto in Milwaukie (where I bought my car from) bought a Model S with a bunch of body damage and a fair amount of miles. He (through working at the dealership) bought it at cost, got the damage repaired, and has a ~200 mile car for, it sounds like, mid 30k range total. I understand that's a bit of a unicorn and maybe unlikely to happen for one of us "civilians" that's not in the business, but it's possible.

I see Platt in a lot of ads. Any idea how they are to work with? Normally I'd buy private party, but the Oregon rebates require purchases to be through an approved dealer (which seems silly considering if someone is low income, they are probably purchasing private party to save money).

Anyhow, there's a '13 S on OfferUp with a $30k asking that has been there for months. Financing a $30k vehicle with a reconstructed title is more difficult. I might be interested at a price closer to $25k... just checked and it looks like it finally sold. I'd probably rather have a new Model 3 for $35k though if spending that kind of money.

Vman455 02-08-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616850)

I saw a couple articles yesterday about a dealer that purchased a lemon-law buyback Model S from Tesla with FSD, sold it to a customer, and three days later Tesla updated the software to remove FSD, with the excuse that the buyer (who purchased it from the dealer) had not paid for it. Something to be careful of looking at used Teslas, apparently.

Flakbadger 02-08-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616865)
I see Platt in a lot of ads. Any idea how they are to work with?

Can't recommend them highly enough. Greg (owner) and Ray are fantastic to work with, absolutely no pressure. They have a huge selection and fair pricing. Expect to pay market value, but they also inspect every vehicle, make repairs as needed, only sell the good quality ones, and offer a 7-day no-questions-asked return, and I think a 30-day repair warranty.
They paid to have the tint fixed on my window when I noticed it peeling on the 2nd day of ownership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 616865)
[...] The Oregon rebates require purchases to be through an approved dealer (which seems silly considering if someone is low income, they are probably purchasing private party to save money).

I think this is to make sure you don't sell a car back and forth to your friends and all get rebates from one vehicle over and over. Also I'm sure there's SOME way to make money for the OR government, considering how greedy OR is with things like upping the registration fees for EV's because "yOu ArEn'T pAyInG gAs TaX, hOw ArE wE gOiNg To FiX tHe RoAd," even though most of the road damage isn't done by passenger vehicles. But I digress...

hayden55 02-13-2020 12:34 PM

Gotta have the hatch. After having the Prius I could never go back to a sedan. Unless I bought another 92-00 Civic and cut out the rear deck :P.
The old RAV4 and the 10-15 prius were similar in interior volume. Rav 4 beat it by 3-4 cuft. The Ioniq is essentially a Prius competitor. Similar cabin size. Don't remember if the inside was more or less. I test drove it and noticed the dash and console are smaller which does give more room. All essentially the same as the CUV market.
I do think the Bolt is a smaller car than the Prius though. Sad considering its a way better deal than the Ioniq.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0541/overview/

Honestly, with the $200 EV tax now and the $100 hybrid tax, gas at 2.00 even and e rates at 0.10/kWh here I'm only seeing a savings of 1.6c/mi.
For the average driver at 13,000 mi per year thats $200 saved. Also, thats a 2010 prius vs the ioniq ev.

NeilBlanchard 02-13-2020 12:42 PM

I know someone who got a 2020 Bolt EV for about $29K.

The biggest issue with the Ioniq EV - is availability.

wocketman 03-12-2020 01:57 PM

I have a 2019 Ioniq EV, and love it. Can get up to 6mi/kWh in the summer, and even this week with freezing temp mornings in Maine got over 4mi/kWh.

Hopefully the cold temps and lack of equivalent (to GM, 2020 Ioniq, etc.) thermal management won't result in a short battery life.