EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   Contest! Name Paul & Sabrina's controller (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/contest-name-paul-sabrinas-controller-7676.html)

MetroMPG 03-30-2009 02:59 PM

Contest! Name Paul & Sabrina's controller

Contest!

Because "Paul & Sabrina's open source electric motor controller project" doesn't quite have the roll-off-the-tongue catchiness of the well-known "Cursit" or "Zilla" controllers, we thought it would be a good idea to hold a contest to bestow a memorable moniker on the mighty mosfets-in-a-box!

We think a good name will give the project an identity and help spread the word. Branding, ftw!

Prizes!

... Are a couple of EcoModder window clings AND another mosfet will be donated to the controller project from EcoModder on your behalf (so you get to name it too! It's just like having a child and sending him/her off into forced labour. What could be more fun!)

Suggestions:

I suggested Little Miss Mosfet (but my idea never wins, and I always seem to vote for the wrong stuff in polls, so you can ignore that).

Ben Nelson suggested "The Electric Cougar".

Don't like those? Well, whaddya got that's better, punk?! Let's hear 'em.

nubie 03-30-2009 03:25 PM

PWM - Paul Whipped Mosfets

:thumbup:

(OK it stinks, maybe I will toss it around for more than 20 seconds and try for a better one.)

Matt Herring 03-30-2009 03:30 PM

"PS144" for Paul & Sabrina's 144 volt controller or "Seattle 71" for Paul & Sabrina's location and the year of the car they built it for.

davidgrey50 03-30-2009 04:29 PM

I humbly (harrumph) submit EVIQ, or EVIQ Drive, if you prefer. E V for electric vehicle, I Q because it provides the intelligence which allows the vehicle to function. And because it rhymes with 'epic', which describes the achievement, and a Google search only turns up weird marginal uses. And it sounds cool, too.

davidgrey50 03-30-2009 05:29 PM

Or ELVIS: ELectric Vehicle Intermediary System...

davidgrey50 03-30-2009 05:36 PM

Or ECTOPLASM: Electric Car Total Overlord - PauL And Sabrina's Masterpiece. Sorry. I'll stop now - I've really gotta get some work done...

bennelson 03-30-2009 06:02 PM

I just had to post to subscribe to this thread.

From what I have seen so far, we are going to get some good submissions.

I will have to think up a really good one before I give my "official" entry!

mcmahon.craig 03-30-2009 06:37 PM

I vote Outstanding Project for Regulation of Amp-Hours.

Or OPRAH for short. :)

tasdrouille 03-30-2009 07:45 PM

MosWatt?

Something with open in it could be nice, I just can't think of anything though.

Tango Charlie 03-30-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmahon.craig (Post 94897)
I vote Outstanding Project for Regulation of Amp-Hours.

Or OPRAH for short. :)

Now THAT's funny, right there! :D

How about just 'Cougar' ?

"Yeah, I got me an old S10 and ripped out the dang engine and bolted in one o' them electric forklift motors. Dropped in a hundert an' forty-four volts of lead acids and built me one o' them Cougar controllers last weekend. Makes me giggle every time I pass the gas station..."

MPaulHolmes 03-31-2009 01:32 AM

I got nothin'

TestDrive 03-31-2009 07:03 AM

Paul & Sabrina's open source
EV-MC(144v)
(Electric Vehicle Motor Controller 144 volt)

Or simply EV-MC

dcb 03-31-2009 08:02 AM

borrowing from the arid expanses of technology humor:

McWain, Motor Controller Without an Interesting Name :)

order99 03-31-2009 09:21 PM

In the spirit of the EV Revolution-

The ReVolt.

(raises glass)

MetroMPG 03-31-2009 10:13 PM

OPRAH! Nice one, Craig.

What would the "hairball" equivalent be? STEADMAN!

(You can figure out the acronym; I just supply the letters.)

MPaulHolmes 04-01-2009 01:15 AM

If only Steadman could controllher. hehe. Really, The O.P.R.A.H. is actually a pretty good name, because it can help control the car's consumption of food, I mean energy. Wait, control food (I mean energy) consumption? Maybe it shouldn't be called the O.P.R.A.H. We could call it the W.H.I.T.N.E.Y.H.O.U.S.T.O.N., but she ***** *****, and then the controller might start ******* *****, and seep into the passenger compartment, making everyone addicted and unsafe drivers, and the controller might not work anymore then, except as a controller **********.

Seriously, I like Ben's vision for an Anime of Darin's Little Miss Mosfet. I like The Cougar because it is really funny, and reminds me of a Will Ferrell movie. I like the E.C.T.O.P.L.A.S.M. because I like ghost busters.

Is this the nomination stage for names? If so, I also nominate Little Miss Mosfet, as long as there is someone that could do really cool picture stickers or whatever would get stuck on the controller. It's got to have attitude these days. Have you guys seen the Godzilla that's etched on the Zilla controller? There's a very low bar for artistic quality when it comes to electronics.

Sabrina likes the PS144 that was suggested earlier.

Sabrina requested that I edit this message, since it was inappropriate in her opinion.
EDIT AGAIN: I don't know! Maybe La Chupacabra! That scary monster in mexico.

Tango Charlie 04-01-2009 08:43 AM

What was Bill Cosby's line about naming his kids? Something to the effect of send them out to play and see what their friends call them.
So once we all build one, we'll see what they're called. But it'd probably be something boring like 'the Open Source Controller'. Not anything witty, pithy, or interesting like 'O.P.R.A.H.' or 'Cougar'.

mcmahon.craig 04-01-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 95069)
OPRAH! Nice one, Craig.

What would the "hairball" equivalent be? STEADMAN!

(You can figure out the acronym; I just supply the letters.)

Seven letters for seriously?

How about Stupendous Transistorized Electronic Automatic Distributor of Motor Amperes and Nervousness?

Assuming it's this unit that drives all the warning lights. :)

Intrigued 04-01-2009 10:08 PM

How about OSCAR. Open Source Controller and Regulator.

Whew. Too boring. To the point, and easy to remember, though...

Maybe OSCCARR: Open Source Cougar Controller and Racing Regulator.

or maybe not...

Drive Stick 04-02-2009 08:31 AM

I'd keep it simple - less is more when talking about electronics. I suggest you use the acronym EPIC for the controller.

EPIC would stand for Electronic Personal Intelligent Controller. The name is short and easy to market, the actual word Epic (non acronym) suggests this product is something important, and revolutionary. (In this case, is actually is since it was designed for anybody to use who is building their own EV correct?)

The target market will find humor in this, and the name is easy to remember. When trying to remember the name of a product you want it to stir emotions, the word Epic stimulates the mind, and is hard to forget.

"I bought my EPIC from Paul & Sabrina last night, wired it up and the vehicle is running flawlessly!"

I looked up the Acronym registry and found at least 73 other company's using this abbreviation for something or other. My favorite one was: "E.P.I.C. - End Poverty In California" Now don't take the fact that there are 73 acronyms alike to be a bad thing, this on the contrary is a good thing. (think google search, people search for something else and end up finding this and getting curious reading about it, and buying it.)

This tells you a few things about the acronym, the most intelligent designers found it to be a marketable acronym, and number 2 it really is Epic. As you can see, some don't give justice to the word at all.

Part of the definition of the word is the common goal among all EV enthusiasts.

Epic: "very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary"

We all stand for one thing here, and that's building something which shows that we are doing just that, surpassing the ordinary.

In conclusion, I submit my humble 4 letter word to be chosen as the acronym for your exemplar controller. (something to be imitated; "an exemplar of success")

Just a little graphic for fun:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...speed/EPIC.jpg

_ Brett

(Edit, I just read the thread, after posting this and I'd like to say for the record this has nothing to do with the guys post on page 1 I didn't read before i posted.)

bennelson 04-02-2009 11:19 AM

I think I actually do like Cougar.

Part of the reason is that it does sort of play off the animal theme used in the automotive world - Janguar, Mustang, heck, even Bug.

It plays well against Zilla too. Instead of a giant dinosaur, our controller is just a slightly more friendly wild animal.

I suggest COUGAR as the general controller name, and Lil Miss Mosfet as the personal name of controller serial #00001.

Tango Charlie 04-02-2009 08:05 PM

Ooh, I like the idea of individual, personalized names. When I build mine, I'll name it OSCAR the Cougar. If Intrigued doesn't mind. ;)

tasdrouille 04-02-2009 08:51 PM

I just like 2 syllables nicknames. I don't know but to me little miss mosfet sounds great as mimo.

trikkonceptz 04-04-2009 02:08 PM

Call it the "Flex Capacitor" .. Eventually you'll be able to run 1.21 Jiggawatts through it right?

MPaulHolmes 04-04-2009 03:30 PM

The only thing that can supply that kind of power is a bolt of lightning! But unfortunately, you never no when or where it's ever going to strike!

You do now!

Give me that piece of paper of the clock tower!

Silveredwings 04-04-2009 10:19 PM

"Open Revolt"

MPaulHolmes 04-04-2009 11:10 PM

That's good... hehe. Oh, Snap(ping turtle) that's good.

Silveredwings 04-04-2009 11:38 PM

or...
"Open Road"
or...
"Open Throttle"

MetroMPG 04-09-2009 03:37 PM

Yeah, I like "Open Revolt". Count on the master punster to come up with something good.

AND... you could shorten it to OpRe! (which is what people in the south call Oprah. I think. Don't they?)

Paul: we started this with no clear deadline or without indicating if this was just the nomination round. Since it's your party, you can call the shots & pick the winner.

Intrigued 04-10-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango Charlie (Post 95464)
Ooh, I like the idea of individual, personalized names. When I build mine, I'll name it OSCAR the Cougar. If Intrigued doesn't mind. ;)

Shucks, no, I don't mind. I'd be honored. Better than Oscar the Grouch, huh!
:-)

GrahamMc 04-11-2009 08:44 AM

I like Open in the name, too. Kind of speaks to me in a 'Power to the People' sort of way. Actually, that is not too bad. Maybe PTTP? Something else I thought of the other day that no one has used yet but I bet will be soon is some sort of play on 'Open Sorcery' All that being said, I like Open ReVolt best. Just my 2 cents. The Symbol could be an old timey boat in Boston Harbor and people on the deck all throwing their Curtis and Alltrax controllers into the drink ala the Boston Tea Party. Who is the graphic guy here?

Silveredwings 04-11-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamMc (Post 97081)
I like Open in the name, too. Kind of speaks to me in a 'Power to the People' sort of way. Actually, that is not too bad. Maybe PTTP? Something else I thought of the other day that no one has used yet but I bet will be soon is some sort of play on 'Open Sorcery' All that being said, I like Open ReVolt best. Just my 2 cents.

I like it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamMc (Post 97081)
The Symbol could be an old timey boat in Boston Harbor and people on the deck all throwing their Curtis and Alltrax controllers into the drink ala the Boston Tea Party. Who is the graphic guy here?

or maybe a lightening bolt hitting a gas pump (or an oil derrick). :thumbup:

xtian999 04-15-2009 07:05 PM

Voltage: Wrecked, Afire.

Under Watter

Ampers, and Etc. (&, etc.)

We are the electric resistance (Water)

Amply-Flying Unit (or Amply Frying Unit)

Killa what?

Free electric thingy (FET)

Sparks and Recreation

My Current Project

Haul Effect

Cruise Chip

Pretty-cool Accelerator

The Family Joules

I gould go on...

bennelson 04-15-2009 07:57 PM

Driving an electric car is both fun AND peaceful.

I imagine a Tibetan Monk would chant "Ohm.......Ohm......Ohm....."

xtian999 04-15-2009 09:49 PM

Ohm's law, brought up on battery charges

or how about:
Would-shock Electric fuel-aid battery test

Ohm-built electric Caddy prod

The Arc of the Co-valent

Re-fuzed re-wired

Wired Earp, The Electric HorseManager

PMDC Cab

And on anon...

Silveredwings 04-15-2009 10:03 PM

I should be positive and plug those ideas. I don't mean to be negative because I do get a charge out of the potential I. C. there, but I'm too wired. I must not be conducting myself properly. Maybe I just don't have the capacity. Maybe it's terminal.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Intrigued 04-15-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtian999 (Post 98155)
My Current Project

How about eCurrent???

Haul Effect was great. Double meaning, and a positive slant at that.

Family Joules was better... :D Sounds like something Paul would come up with. :thumbup: (Not sure we could use it, though... ;))

Wired Earp might just work, too. Name Recognition in that one Big Time... :turtle:

Keep 'em coming, xtian!!! :cool:

order99 04-15-2009 11:15 PM

Please, no more puns. I'm going to need Shock Therapy if you keep frying my mental relays with these-

AAUUGGHH!!! Now you've got ME doing it! I mean seriously, watt the heck, are you all contagious? Do I need to have my Doctor run a battery of tests and monitor my pulse? Will I have to isolate myself from all contacts? Will I need to restore my electrolytes and balance my metabolism? Is this Thread doomed to thermal runaway or can we salvage the current topic? At this junction it could switch either way...

Well i'm drained. See you later when i've got my spark back.

:confused:

MPaulHolmes 04-16-2009 01:17 AM

You guys are funny! I want to try that!

Hmm... I'm cooking a baked potato upstairs. No... That's no good.
Oprah is over-weight. That's no good either...
I'm frying an egg! Dang it! Maybe once the fever leaves me, I'll be more creative. I seriously can't think right now!

metroschultz 04-16-2009 11:31 AM

F.R.E.D

Freely
Redirecting
Electrical
Device

A reuse of an old army anagram
FRED
F-ck-ng
Ridiculous
Electrical
Device